Seeking tips to become a better hunter

Marble

WKR
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned much, but since your are in califonia, save your pennies and hire a guide for a 3 day pig hunt this winter. The meat tastes great and it would be an incredible learning experience learning how to hunt from someone who's livelyhood litterally depends on hunting success. When I'm trying to learn to fish a new river or lake I hire a fishing guide not to just catch fish, but to learn and ask questions from a professional with a ton of experience.
This is a really good idea. You will learn quite a bit. Especially if you are successful.

Don't be afraid to fail.

Quail is a great idea. Any of the mountains have them. Just go for a drive and have your shotgun ready.

Don't dismiss Grey squirls. They are delicious.

Every hunting experience you have will add to your bag if tricks. You will pick up info and ideas that you don't even realize you are learning.

If you have a truck, just plan on camping in your truck. My wife and I so it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TXAR

FNG
Try going after ducks and geese with that 12ga. Much more action than a typical deer hunt!

WCB

WKR
I've been hunting squirrels and rabbits, but have only seen squirrels. I would love to hunt quail, but again, can't find them. I feel like waterfowl would be fun but it seems to be a bit of a group activity (4 guys in a blind) and I haven't found a group to roll with just yet.

You may be right... I don't vary my hunting location very often... I have a few spots in some mountains that I keep going back to... maybe I should try a completely new area.
Get some steel shot a dozen decoys, waders and a call and go waterfowl hunting. I hunt anything they sell a tag for and enjoy big game hunting the most. But I have had some of my most memorable hunts by myself waterfowl hunting.

OP
L

lukew

FNG
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned much, but since your are in califonia, save your pennies and hire a guide for a 3 day pig hunt this winter. The meat tastes great and it would be an incredible learning experience learning how to hunt from someone who's livelyhood litterally depends on hunting success. When I'm trying to learn to fish a new river or lake I hire a fishing guide not to just catch fish, but to learn and ask questions from a professional with a ton of experience.
I really like this idea - I think I'll give this a go. Would be great to have someone show me the ropes while I get some good meat, and I don't mind paying for what I'm sure would be a valuable learning experience. Thanks for the tip!

OP
L

lukew

FNG
Welcome, I'm a fellow CA hunter and along with what everyone else has said, here's a few thoughts.

1) Process of elimination. For every good place you find you'll first find a bunch that aren't any good. You WILL find some great hunting spots, and you'll protect them like your pin number!

2) You can find quail driving around forest service roads that have brush along the edges. I see them fairly often driving into or out of deer hunting spots around 4000-6000' elevation. Once you find them the hard part is done!

3) If you're looking for big game, try walking less during the day. Hike in in the dark to a vantage point you can see some open areas and sit still and glass all morning. Don't see anything? Try a different spot the next time. Get off the trails if you can. Vary the elevation. Start at 9000' and work down. Look for aspen trees. Look for willow bushes on the slopes. Look for rockslides and at the base of cliffs. Places too rugged or steep for most guys to want to go to.

Even experienced hunters don't get something every year. If it was easy it wouldn't be any fun!
Thank you! I really like the tip about driving on forest roads to find quail - I'll definitely do that when the season opens.

OP
L

lukew

FNG
Just as a follow up, I took some of the above advice last Sunday and went out and explored a completely new spot. I got three squirrels IN ONE DAY! That is the same amount of squirrels I have taken over the course of the last three years of hunting. I could have probably taken a couple more, but I prefer the meat of grey squirrels over the smaller Douglas squirrel. Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Azone

WKR
I would really recommend the guide route when you step up to big game just to get your feet wet and show you the ropes. There’s some really good outfits along the central coast that damn near get you a shot opportunity every time out on hogs, hitting and killing them is up to you, these aren’t high fence operations. Quail and cottontail are some fun hunts and provide very tasty table fare so you’re definitely on the right track with small game. Hunting is a awesome experience and there is nothing like eating something you killed and cooked yourself.

If you want to get into duck hunting do it. I had a buddy take me once years ago and I have been hooked ever since. I also hunt by myself and find it to be much more challenging but also more relaxing at the same time than when I have gone with other groups. Get yourself a couple used decoys off Craigslist or Facebook and look for birds when you are driving or hunting then you will know where they like to hang out during shooting hours. Good luck!

I was (still am I guess!) an adult onset hunter. Jumped into bird hunting with both feet, bought two setters, talked a buddy into getting one and then another. Read everything I could online. Hunted 95% of the weekends in Kansas public just figuring it out. We'd put 800 miles on my pickup in a weekend no problem. The first couple years we sucked but we got better, founds lots of places to go, and by year 5 or so we had so many spots we couldn't possibly hit them all in one season. Just keep after it and you'll do the same.