Seekins or Fierce

I’m looking to get my first high end Long range rifle for out west. I think I’ve set my mind on the 300 PRC caliber. The main two rifles I’ve been looking at are the Fierce Rival and Seekins Precision Havak PH2. Anyone have any advice on either of these two guns? Any other rifles I should be looking into as well?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
The PH2 is a great hunting rifle, I’ve been very happy with my PH1. I’d swap the trigger for a Jewell HVR and stick an APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard out front, and be merry. Hurry up and find one of the scratch off certs before next week and get a PH2 for $1425.

Last edited:
I would lean towards fierce. The rival looks like a nice setup.

I have had a couple 300wm Havak PH1s, the first was warrantied and I haven't been able to get the second to shoot well consistently with any bullet I actually want to use in it. Folks seem to have better results in the lighter chamberings but I can't recommend a 300 wm or PRC based on my experience.

OP
Vansomerenc
I would lean towards fierce. The rival looks like a nice setup.

I have had a couple 300wm Havak PH1s, the first was warrantied and I haven't been able to get the second to shoot well consistently with any bullet I actually want to use in it. Folks seem to have better results in the lighter chamberings but I can't recommend a 300 wm or PRC based on my experience.
Thank you that’s really good info. Why MOA was the PH1 able to hold?

Thank you that’s really good info. Why MOA was the PH1 able to hold?

With Berger 200.20x I'd say a typically 5 shot group is around 1.25 MOA. 215s were a little worse. They sent me a couple proof groups with Federal GMM 190 match kings but I have no interest in shooting 190 SMKs.

I don't shoot as much as I used to and I'm not 100% confident some of the consistency issues don't lie with me, but I just don't trust it to shoot tight.

I would go with a Seekins 100%. We bought multiple (4) Fierce rifles awhile back and have had issues with every single one. I’m in a position that I can’t discuss details right now but they have been a joke to deal with. The worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with.

My Seekins (PH1 in 28Nos) is a great gun. Shoots lights out with everything I have tried. Settled on Berger 195’s. I bought the element in 6.5 PRC and it shoots Hornady factory stuff so good we are thinking about not wasting time reloading. Seekins customer service is top notch. My next gun will be a PH2 in 300PRC.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A different approach and somewhat unpopular opinion.

These “long range” and “package” and “system” large quantity produced rifles aren’t any better than doing a semi custom build of your own.

Just build yourself a semi custom Tikka T3X and have a better rifle than either of the ones you mentioned for less money.

Or actually go custom and build a rifle to exactly what you want.

HuntnPack

WKR
The Seekins PH2 in 300PRC would be a good choice. Great Quality, features, components.
Great customer service, & customer satisfaction guarantee. Really a good value for the money.

OP
Vansomerenc
A different approach and somewhat unpopular opinion.

These “long range” and “package” and “system” large quantity produced rifles aren’t any better than doing a semi custom build of your own.

Just build yourself a semi custom Tikka T3X and have a better rifle than either of the ones you mentioned for less money.

Or actually go custom and build a rifle to exactly what you want.
I’m very much up for building but I’ve never built a bolt gun. What level of gunsmithing is required? What do I need to pay special attention to for accuracy. I’ve built a few ARs and have some super accurate results, but basically all that takes is a decent barrel and some hand loads.

OP
Vansomerenc
The PH2 is a great hunting rifle, I’ve been very happy with my PH1. I’d swap the trigger for a Jewell HVR and stick an APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard out front, and be merry. Hurry up and find one of the scratch off certs before next week and get a PH2 for $1425.
What’s are the certs?!

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
What’s are the certs?!

Seekins generously gave out tons of scratch off certificates which varied from 25-40% in discount over the last couple of years to be included on prize tables at matches all over the country. I picked up 7 or 8 of them myself at various matches. They all expire July 1, 2020, so time is running out, and I have not seen any new ones coming out, but they sure made an impact on purchase price of their bolt action rifles. They were good for up to $2700 off on a single order (25% off of $10,800!!). Ask around on here or the Hide, you’ll likely still be able to find one.

I’m very much up for building but I’ve never built a bolt gun. What level of gunsmithing is required? What do I need to pay special attention to for accuracy. I’ve built a few ARs and have some super accurate results, but basically all that takes is a decent barrel and some hand loads.

There are two ways to do this and the options to assemble accurate bolt action rifles yourself have exploded over the past couple years.

1. buy an action and a "barrel nut" barrel in which headspace is set with a barrel nut. You will need Go/no go gauges and can install a barrel without a gunsmith

2. buy an action in which shouldered prefit barrels are available and torque the barrel onto action yourself. Shouldered prefits are viable only on actions that are manufactured with the appropriate tolerances, you are not able to adjust the headspace. They are typically a little more expensive than the barrel nut options.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
The Seekins Havak actions are headspace controlled to allow user installed shouldered barrels without any metal machining.

It’s not so problematic to have a gunsmith thread and chamber blanks, just takes planning.

Last edited:
The Seekins Havak actions aren’t headspace controlled to allow user installed shouldered barrels without any metal machining.

It’s not so problematic to have a gunsmith thread and chamber blanks, just takes planning.

I don't know of many folks starting from scratch with a seekins action, wouldn't be my choice. That said, I have been considering getting my factory barrel replaced and noticed Straight Jacket sells prefits. I hadn't previously heard that seekins tolerances justified comfort in a shouldered prefit so I'd probably send the action in to get chambered unless given reason not to.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know of many folks starting from scratch with a seekins action, wouldn't be my choice. That said, I have been considering getting my factory barrel replaced and noticed Straight Jacket sells prefits. I hadn't previously heard that seekins tolerances justified comfort in a shouldered prefit so I'd probably send the action in to get chambered unless given reason not to.

I had an auto correct error in my original post - I absolutely hate the Slide interface, I use a lot of forums, even on similar sobackspacing and autocorrects are all wonky here.

Seekins actions ARE headspace controlled for drop in barrels.

Given one of the certificates and getting a Havak action for $800, the pricing is very good. Without the certificate, it’s on par. The “standard” DLC on the bolt is a considerable price added on other actions, so when you compare the Havak to say, a Defiance Tenacity - another integral lug and bolt on rail - and adding DLC ($275 for the last one I bought), you’re equally priced. Not pretending the Havak action is the same quality as the Defiance, but pricing parity is fair.

Other manufacturers may be willing to cut Seekins shoulders, but Straight Jacket does seem to be the only one right now making them as regular practice. The more folks asking, the more makers will take it on.

OP
Vansomerenc
Seekins generously gave out tons of scratch off certificates which varied from 25-40% in discount over the last couple of years to be included on prize tables at matches all over the country. I picked up 7 or 8 of them myself at various matches. They all expire July 1, 2020, so time is running out, and I have not seen any new ones coming out, but they sure made an impact on purchase price of their bolt action rifles. They were good for up to $2700 off on a single order (25% off of $10,800!!). Ask around on here or the Hide, you’ll likely still be able to find one.
I got one and ordered a PH2! Thank you so much

OP
Vansomerenc
I ended up buying a new PH2. Thank you for the guys that went into the details of building. May keep that in mind for the next one ;)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

What I mean by more “full custom” is ordering all of the parts individually and then having a reputable Smith put it all together for you.

Example. Defiance Action, Proof Barrel, Tiggertech trigger, McMillan Stock, etc. You order each piece of the rifle to exactly what you want.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a Seekins 100%. We bought multiple (4) Fierce rifles awhile back and have had issues with every single one. I’m in a position that I can’t discuss details right now but they have been a joke to deal with. The worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with.

My Seekins (PH1 in 28Nos) is a great gun. Shoots lights out with everything I have tried. Settled on Berger 195’s. I bought the element in 6.5 PRC and it shoots Hornady factory stuff so good we are thinking about not wasting time reloading. Seekins customer service is top notch. My next gun will be a PH2 in 300PRC.
I agree Fierce Customer service is horrible and no longer own one
I got a Seekins Ph2 (have not shot it yet) but when you ask them a question they get back to you right away

If anyone has a scratch off certificate that they aren’t going to use I would Really like to pick one up. I have Been looking at the Seekins Precision ph2’s and I am Very interested in obtaining one in .28 nosler.