Seekins PH2 re-barrel weight savings?

Anyone have a PH2 that they re-barreled to a 20-22”?

Wanting to do a 20-22” 7 PRC and am wondering if going with a PH2 and re-barreling vs just getting the element is the way to go.

I have an element in 6.5PRC and it’s great, just might prefer a steel action if the weight penalty isn’t too bad…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
I was wondering the same! Looking at the ph2 or the element myself.
I might have my answer in a couple months... I have a 7 PRC PH2 and a 6.5 PRC element. I'll likely send my PH2 in to be re-barreled to a 22" or so at some point.

But yea, if someone has this info that would be great :)

Marcjr47

FNG
I might have my answer in a couple months... I have a 7 PRC PH2 and a 6.5 PRC element. I'll likely send my PH2 in to be re-barreled to a 22" or so at some point.

But yea, if someone has this info that would be great :)
I’ve read that it is usually $500 for a re-barrel at Seekins. It is possible to have your local shop cut and thread, but with the twist flute it would all depend on where those flutes end up would determine if I would do it or not.

OP
rileybassman
Does anyone have a depth gauge? I have calipers but I'm curious how thin the barrel is inside the flutes... it's a decently thick barrel profile - curious if they can be cut/re-threaded into the flutes?

I did it but I never weighed it post rebarreling. But I'm also using a 11oz suppressor, 45oz scope, bipod and arca rail. I think i'm at 11# with ammo

However being that you're trying to rebarrel a 6.5prc, You might wanna call them because I'm fairly certain that is a short action and the 7PRC is long action

OP
rileybassman
I did it but I never weighed it post rebarreling. But I'm also using a 11oz suppressor, 45oz scope, bipod and arca rail. I think i'm at 11# with ammo
That's a beast of a scope!

Thanks for the details! Should you ever have it down to bare rifle in the near future, I'd be curious as to weight.

I'll post up here too if I do cut/re-barrel.

OP
rileybassman
I didn't get a quote from UM but I cant imagine its more than $500 to cut and re-thread a barrel
Yea I'm sure it's not - confident it would be cheaper, but the shipping, cost, and time component for what I'm assuming is non-warrantied work causes me to lean towards just having Seekins do it.

That's a beast of a scope!

Thanks for the details! Should you ever have it down to bare rifle in the near future, I'd be curious as to weight.

I'll post up here too if I do cut/re-barrel.

I'm a FFP guy who values glass quality over weight. I ain't saved nothing if the glass is distorting the target

bmart2622

WKR
I probably wouldn't assume, UM has a pretty good reputation and quick turn around times, shipping is a wash since youll have to pay to ship it to and from Seekins. But a guys got to spend his money where he thinks it best spent. My plan was to have Seekins rebarrel too before I talked to UM

I’ve read that it is usually $500 for a re-barrel at Seekins. It is possible to have your local shop cut and thread, but with the twist flute it would all depend on where those flutes end up would determine if I would do it or not.

Total cost for seekins to rebarrel is like $590

They'll give you an RMA form and a shipping label, swap the barrel, and ship it back at that price

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted a shorter barrel when I was shopping for my Seekins in 6.5 creed. Found a new element For 2200 and figured it was cheaper to do that than buy a PH2 and rebarrel or cut/thread the exising one. Plus I got a lighter rifle out of the deal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My local guy was asking thickness... If I'm gonna ship off to UM I'd almost just as soon send it seekins for a rebarrel
Keep in mind, Seekins has the best price for a barrel/install but they will only rebarrel with something they are already making for off the shelf models. I wanted an 18" barrel for my 6.5 creed and they won't do it because that isn't something offered off the shelf. THey do provide their thread pattern for free/open source but its not nearly as cheap to get a lilja or a bartlein or something.

OP
rileybassman
Keep in mind, Seekins has the best price for a barrel/install but they will only rebarrel with something they are already making for off the shelf models. I wanted an 18" barrel for my 6.5 creed and they won't do it because that isn't something offered off the shelf. THey do provide their thread pattern for free/open source but its not nearly as cheap to get a lilja or a bartlein or something.
Yea good call out - so in my 7PRC instance, I'm basically going to be stuck at 22" (happens to be what I would want so it works) since the element comes in that?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yea good call out - so in my 7PRC instance, I'm basically going to be stuck at 22" (happens to be what I would want so it works) since the element comes in that?
Yeah. My 6.5 is 21" which the shortest they make so thats what I'm stuck with unless I go with another barrel maker/gunsmith.