Self Defense Options

Long Cut

WKR
Especially during archery season or during the off-season, what is your go-to self defense option?

Typically where I’m at in Georgia, it’s wild dogs or the two-legged tweakers we have to be wary of. I’ve personally been followed by pit bulls to my stand, on different properties at that. Wild dogs are my biggest fear, they don’t seem to be afraid of people.

I’m going to make it a point to carry a pistol with me every time I’m in the woods. I’m going to “build” one of my Glocks to cater towards “woods carrying”.

That being said, would you rather have: Glock 19, Glock 45, Glock 34
Red Dot, Weapon Light?

I’m torn between the Glock 45 or Glock 34 with a Streamlight HL 1,000 and a Red Dot.

IMG_0073.pngIMG_0074.png

Matt5266

WKR
Out of the choices you listed g45 all day. However my 43x is my EDC and fits all my needs while still being concealable. My g45 is my fun range gun with a ramjet and afterburner by radian

Towhee

FNG
Good choices. I'd lean for the 19 or 45 with a red dot and flashlight, 100% yes. At least for sure get the RD. Otherwise, whichever gun feels and carries better for you. May as well get the one you would CC as well!

Scary shit! Stay safe out there!!

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Not one of your choices is going to be a bad choice. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Beendare

WKR
Wild dogs…hmm, any small 9mm will do but I wonder if it makes sense to load the first round with snake shot?

My thinking is, these might be some neighbors dogs that got loose, though if they came at me I would shoot them, snake shot might be enough to stop anadvance.

I pack my 9mm SW Shield with the Apex kit with the hard cast loads for hunts with potential lions or black bears. My G20 in big bear country.

Last edited:
I carry a G19 for work, my EDC is a g43x with shield arms mags (15 rds) for when I’m hiking or hunting it a G20 for big bears. 9mm should do what you want with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Having owned/shot the 19, 17, and 34 each a fair amount, I perceived almost no difference in shootability or splits. Wouldn't recommend a 34 to anyone except for a range/competition toy. Its bigger and heavier with no real benefit

So +1 vote g45 for the bigger grip and capacity.

And +1 vote for a WML before the reddot. The woods don't have streetlamps, and you will use that light 100 times before you use the gun.

I wouldnt hesitate to get a reddot also if budget allowed.

I hunt in Georgia and carry a Sig P320-Xten with bear rounds. Run a Holosun red dot on it,

I carry a Glock 19 at work, and a S&W MP Shield off duty. But I put one on when I get up and take it of right before bed. Glock 19 is probably my favorite all time pistol though.

Wild dog attacks sound spooky. That’s something I would’ve never considered. Are you allowed to carry a long gun while bow hunting? Is so, a compact pump 20 gauge would be easier to hit with, especially moving targets.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Wild dog attacks sound spooky. That’s something I would’ve never considered. Are you allowed to carry a long gun while bow hunting? Is so, a compact pump 20 gauge would be easier to hit with, especially moving targets.
We can carry pistols, but no long guns. Wild dogs have no fear of humans. They will walk right up to you and they seem to be more aggressive then any pet dogs I’ve encountered.

Roger that. Have you considered a .300 BLK AR pistol? I'd use an 8.5-inch barrel, compact suppressor, red dot, and weapon-mounted light to deliver one-way tickets to 1989's "All Dogs Go to Heaven."

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
My 19 goes with me every time in the woods. Mine has an RMR and weapons light. As you said I have little to worry about here in Pa, however I’m more concerned with two legged issues then anything 4 legged.

We don’t have a wild dog issue where I’m at, however we do have coyotes. My brother had a stand off with one within 15 yards when leaving his stand. Why he didn’t shoot the thing is still beyond me.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.
I currently own several Glock 19’s, 45’s and a 34. I’m a huge proponent of weapon lights & red dots in a self defense capacity for a pistol, unless it’s for “deep conceal” with light clothing, summer months etc.

I’ll add a red dot and streamlight to my 45. I’ll toy around with the idea of a compensator possibly as well. I’ve just always wanted one- reliability will be the key determining factor.

I was gunning towards the 34- shooting that gun fast and accurate is extremely easy with the longer barrel and sight radius. BUT it would be more of a burden to carry around the woods and climbing trees.

Especially during archery season or during the off-season, what is your go-to self defense option?

Typically where I’m at in Georgia, it’s wild dogs or the two-legged tweakers we have to be wary of. I’ve personally been followed by pit bulls to my stand, on different properties at that. Wild dogs are my biggest fear, they don’t seem to be afraid of people.

I’m going to make it a point to carry a pistol with me every time I’m in the woods. I’m going to “build” one of my Glocks to cater towards “woods carrying”.

That being said, would you rather have: Glock 19, Glock 45, Glock 34
Red Dot, Weapon Light?

I’m torn between the Glock 45 or Glock 34 with a Streamlight HL 1,000 and a Red Dot.

View attachment 656900View attachment 656901
At first I thought that picture was being attacked by tweekers, but dogs make sense too

I carry a Springfield hellcat, and I love that pistol, used to carry a G20, and I have to shoot a lot to stay decent with glocks, that little hellcat has been easy to shoot from day one, and the trigger is way better

Matt5266

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.
I currently own several Glock 19’s, 45’s and a 34. I’m a huge proponent of weapon lights & red dots in a self defense capacity for a pistol, unless it’s for “deep conceal” with light clothing, summer months etc.

I’ll add a red dot and streamlight to my 45. I’ll toy around with the idea of a compensator possibly as well. I’ve just always wanted one- reliability will be the key determining factor.

I was gunning towards the 34- shooting that gun fast and accurate is extremely easy with the longer barrel and sight radius. BUT it would be more of a burden to carry around the woods and climbing trees.
I love my 45 with the radian ramjet and afterburner comp.

Attachments

• 20231028_143332.jpg
    20231028_143332.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 35