Self Defense Options

At first I thought that picture was being attacked by tweekers, but dogs make sense too

I carry a Springfield hellcat, and I love that pistol, used to carry a G20, and I have to shoot a lot to stay decent with glocks, that little hellcat has been easy to shoot from day one, and the trigger is way better

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a hellcat pro. I have a sig 365xl, but I always seem to grab the g43x. The g20 is heavy especially after 8 days of packing in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt5266

WKR
O
How do you like the compensator? I’m seriously debating on getting one.
Obviously it increases noise quite a bit but other than that I absolutely love it. This comp in particular I bought because of the reviews I read of the reliability. It's been 100% for me so far. It definitely helps you run the gun faster and reduces muzzle flip. Another plus is its 50 state legal and when used on a 19 or 45 it will work with all 17 holsters. It's not cheap but I love it for a fun gun. Obviously not as nice as my Staccato but makes a huge difference IMO.

FLYBYU44

FNG
No handgun in Canada, but short barrel shotguns are okay. I carry a short 12g and buckshot when woods walking. Weighs maybe 5lbs (singleshot) and kills on both ends. :)

No handgun in Canada, but short barrel shotguns are okay. I carry a short 12g and buckshot when woods walking. Weighs maybe 5lbs (singleshot) and kills on both ends. :)
That's one of the few areas of firearm ownership that Canada has right. That would be so cool. Post a pic please

FLYBYU44

FNG
Now let me ask, do you walk around with the shotgun out in high risk bear “areas” or dense foliage?
Or does it stay in the pack?
Do you use a sling if you carry it?
The pack is just to show how small it is. Honestly I hunt in areas with no bears and such, so don't worry about it. I do a lot of hiking/snowshoeing and I carry it with me in my hand, loaded. Mostly for wolves as I have had a few too close for comfort encounters with large wolves. You can certainly use a sling too. I have the same gun with 20" barrel for grouse and I have a sling on it sometimes, mostly as I am covering 10-20kms in a day on foot and like to sling it for a rest.

Last edited:

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Simple question to the OP, which one are you the most accurate with? That should undoubtedly be your choice.

Yoder

WKR
If you don't care about concealment the G34 is a great gun. Any of the compact guns are harder to shoot. More muzzle flip and shorter sight radius. Red dots are nice, but make sure it's on or turns on automatically. The other problem with red dots is finding the dot. I shot competition for years and had no issue drawing and getting on target without even thinking about it. I put a red dot on my G17 and I couldn't believe how hard it was to find the dot. Just spend the time practicing with it to where you can rip that thing out of the holster and instantly get that dot on target without even thinking about it.

I'm with Yoder. Red dots aren't an "easy button" to faster, more accurate shooting. Like anything, it takse a lot of practice to become proficient. They do allow more precision, however. That part is undeniable. But speed up close in defensive situations? I believe the win still goes to iron sights.

Last edited:

Luked

WKR
Personally if I were to carry one jsut for something like wild dog size critters I would go with a Glock G19 for a couple reasons.
Large capacity, Easy ammo avalibility and gr types. Glocks just run no matter what and they are easy to get parts for.
I would also have a weapon light with laser on it.

CMF

WKR
I carry a 43x on my chest with binos most of the time now, but before I started hunting out west I just threw a 380 lcp in my pocket for whitetail hunting in MS(and worried about the same dogs and tweakers)

Used to carry my Ruger redhawk super alaskan in 454 casuell but it was a tank and too heavy to carry long distances in my chest rig all day. I moved to a Springfield xd-m osp 10mm compact and love it. More rounds lighter package.

Marble

WKR
Our biggest self-defense weapon is always our brain. You can apply this to all areas of life.

As for weapons, the best weapon is the one you will actually carry. Caliber, cartridge, semi-auto blah blah blah. Just carry something and be proficient with it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Especially during archery season or during the off-season, what is your go-to self defense option?

Typically where I’m at in Georgia, it’s wild dogs or the two-legged tweakers we have to be wary of. I’ve personally been followed by pit bulls to my stand, on different properties at that. Wild dogs are my biggest fear, they don’t seem to be afraid of people.

I’m going to make it a point to carry a pistol with me every time I’m in the woods. I’m going to “build” one of my Glocks to cater towards “woods carrying”.

That being said, would you rather have: Glock 19, Glock 45, Glock 34
Red Dot, Weapon Light?

I’m torn between the Glock 45 or Glock 34 with a Streamlight HL 1,000 and a Red Dot.

View attachment 656900View attachment 656901
just curious what do you have to build to consider a glock "woods carrying"?

TaperPin

WKR
For feral dogs I’d pack a .22 pistol. Dog’s aren’t all that durable.