Self Defense Options

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
just curious what do you have to build to consider a glock "woods carrying"?

I’d opt for probably a larger frame & slide gun with a weapon light & red dot ideally.

Something I wouldn’t typically carry concealed around town.

Bobaloo

FNG
Especially during archery season or during the off-season, what is your go-to self defense option?

Typically where I’m at in Georgia, it’s wild dogs or the two-legged tweakers we have to be wary of. I’ve personally been followed by pit bulls to my stand, on different properties at that. Wild dogs are my biggest fear, they don’t seem to be afraid of people.

I’m going to make it a point to carry a pistol with me every time I’m in the woods. I’m going to “build” one of my Glocks to cater towards “woods carrying”.

That being said, would you rather have: Glock 19, Glock 45, Glock 34
Red Dot, Weapon Light?

I’m torn between the Glock 45 or Glock 34 with a Streamlight HL 1,000 and a Red Dot.

View attachment 656900View attachment 656901
Another possible option is a buckmark lite with 5.5 barrel. Light weight, more accurate, adjustable rear sight, reliable, and with barrel length to squeeze some velocity out of 36 gr mini mag hp's.

Another possible option is a buckmark lite with 5.5 barrel. Light weight, more accurate, adjustable rear sight, reliable, and with barrel length to squeeze some velocity out of 36 gr mini mag hp's.
Were talking self defense pistol in the woods for and up to possibly grizzley. I dont think a 22 is a viable option unless you shoot yourself to keep from getting mauled.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I consider my G19 about ideal as a woods and general purpose defensive pistol. I have a TLR-7 that I sometimes carry on it. And of course several holsters to carry it in various ways. On a bow hunt, I’ll carry it in a holster that I use some 550 cord to attach right below my bino harness.

The comments above are mostly accurate about red dots, I’ll just add that for a “woods pistol” I would generally prefer irons (Dawson Precision as my first choice, Ameriglo Kyle Defoor sight set as a close second). For everything else I think it’s worth learning the red dot, it’s faster and more precise than any iron sight arrangement. But…if I’m getting rained on, collecting dirt and pine needles as I leap over deadfall and bust my ass in mud puddles, I’ll take the irons. I carry a pistol with a red dot at work, and a few rain drops in the right spots is really all it takes to alter your sight picture a bit. So, they do have downsides in an all-weather all terrain type environment.

As for a comp, best advice I have heard on that is from John Lovell: if you think a comp would help you, you need to train more, if you know that you don’t need a comp to shoot fast and accurate, you may realize some benefit from one.

If you only want to have one pistol Setup for all CCW, home defense, and woods situations, I’d have to say it would be hard to beat a G19 with a RDS and a light. And several holster options.

Beendare

WKR
Some good advice above Dave.

My carry pistol is trashed after a long hunt. I regularly unholster and reholster mine as the crap that collects in there- it's surprising how much junk collects in there.

I know the competition guys love those optics....but I too think they aren't a good idea in the woods.