Self Taxidermy?

Weldor

WKR
I did a Coues deer years back, found a old book at the library (yes a Library) It was a how to: showed how to make your own ear turners, how to mold clay eyes, etc. Bought all the supplies for Van Dykes. Still hangs in my cabin. Don't think I'll ever do another , but it was fun at the time.

Lil-rockslider, sorry about your moose looking like that.
Not the taxidermist fault. Dermistids eat anything and everything.
They were called carpet Beatles years ago, because they would eat a wool carpet from the bottom side.

Once the bugs have eaten the mount its impossible to stop hair loss.

Once you see hair starting to fall off you need to spray it down with permethrin and bag. Then another application of the same.. All mounts should be kept high up on the wall and definatly away from dog or cat food or any other type of food source.

you don't like how my moose turned out?

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only person who read "self taxidermy" and thought it meant mounting yourself as a parting (departing?) gift to your wife?

TN Tyrant

FNG
I’ve done a fair amount for myself. I’m 100% sec taught. I’ve done about a dozen ducks and geese, and my wife’s whitetail. The birds look better with each one I do, and the whitetail looks like something I would get from a taxidermist. I learned how to do all of it by watching the videos on FreeTaxidermySchool.net…some very in depth videos on there. It’s really not hard, just time consuming. I didn’t really buy much for tools, for a bird flesher I just slapped an old corded drill in a vise with a wire wheel…be careful, it’ll eat skins lol. For fleshing the deer cape I used a pressure washer. Aside from that I had everything else laying around.
Do you mind sharing more about fleshing the deer cape with a pressure washer?

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a shoulder mount back in college. Got so frustrated I scooped up the entire bench of items and tossed it in the trash. But I’ve never shanked a tent.