Sell me on a Kifaru pack

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys. I’m looking at getting a new pack for this season.

As I’ve made the transition from timber hunting elk and deer to a more spot and stalk style, I have way more gear in my pack than I used to. I’m currently using a badlands 2200 because that’s what I could afford at the time. Now I’m looking to get a good pack for backpacking in for a couple nights, but still reasonable for a day pack.

It seems like everyone says Kifaru is the way to go, and I don’t mind spending a lot because it seems like you get a lot from there packs.

I have a long torso, and I’m a pretty skinny guy so I’ve never actually had a pack that fit me well.

So,

Why is Kifaru so good?
What pack/frame combo would suit me best?
What options should I get?

I’ve done a lot of research on there packs but there’s so much info and different packs I’m overwhelmed at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

As I’ve made the transition from timber hunting elk and deer to a more spot and stalk style, I have way more gear in my pack than I used to. I’m currently using a badlands 2200 because that’s what I could afford at the time. Now I’m looking to get a good pack for backpacking in for a couple nights, but still reasonable for a day pack.

It seems like everyone says Kifaru is the way to go, and I don’t mind spending a lot because it seems like you get a lot from there packs.

I have a long torso, and I’m a pretty skinny guy so I’ve never actually had a pack that fit me well.

So,

Why is Kifaru so good?

I’ve done a lot of research on there packs but there’s so much info and different packs I’m overwhelmed at the moment.

Feel free to call me this weekend if you have any questions. 720-937-1418

I would sell you on Kifaru, but it would be a biased opinion

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well I can’t tell if that’s just good customer service or creepy that you took about 5 minutes to respond at about 10pm at night!

I appreciate it, I’ll give you a call sometime tomorrow! Hope your prepared, I have a list of notes.

And it said “sell me on a Kifaru pack” not “sell me a Kifaru pack”

enve77

WKR
Do what I did, pick a credit card and max it out on Kifaru gear that you feel might work for your hunting style. Spend 1 season testing the gear and sell what didn't fit your needs! Kifaru gear holds its value, So you can't go wrong with any purchase! I own lots of there gear! Great craftsmanship along with unmatched customer service!
As for this year the Fulcrum was my go to for day hunts up to 10 day hunts, an all around awesome pack, collapsed down easy and had tons of room when needed (packing out animals) get a few Kifaru meat bags they work great as well!
P.S. you can never have too many accessories
The Doobie was my latest purchase and I have used it daily since it's badass! Just saying!!!!
Hope that helps ya

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'll be quite sold after chatting with Aron tomorrow.

Nonetheless, here's why I picked Kifaru for my hunting and other packs.

They were local to me so I could try things on which was a big benefit. Aron will get you squared away in that regard I'm sure.
Awesome customer service. Features that I preferred over some of the other pack makers, though I think there are many good ones out there! Their quality and durability is impressive. I've been running the same bag for several years, and I haven't been real gentle on it. No failures.

I'm also fairly tall and skinny, 6'2" with 33" waist. I run the 26" frame and a small belt on my hunting setup. I have the Hunting Frame which is essentially the Tactical Frame but maybe a little lighter. I'm not sure of the differences. They "combined" the Hunting and Tactical when the Duplex Lite came out. I would probably choose the Duplex UL if I were picking today. I also use a bag that they no longer make, the Duplex Timberline 2, but they have a ton of awesome options available now!

If that's not convincing enough. I also own a 14'r and Tailgunner, and I'm getting real close to buying one of the new Shape Charge packs. If I had some extra funds I could think of a couple more I would own as well...

Hi,
Give Aron a call, read/ask questions here.
Why I ended up with Kifaru?
Costumer service, fits me and my needs, with needs I mean:
Get a rame, then you can change around, day pack, frame and pockets and at the same time be able to carry more then you need.
Yes, they are $$$, but so is any quality product, just look at the used prices, they are not dropping that much, and that is good for you, buy a frame and a pack, test it out, take care of it, not happy? Sell it here and try another frame, my guess is Kifaru will find you a frame that fits yo and your needs.

But, a warring, once you start with kifaru, your going to end up with pre than one pack/frame.....

rbljack

WKR
Sell you on a kifaru? well as you can see...customer service and assistance is fantastic. I called with question on numerous occasions. Ive been very happy with each product ive ordered so far. I bought a few used items as well and as others have said, they do hold value because they are built to last. I switched to a kifaru pack in 2018. Got the duplex and reckoning and couldn't be happier for western hunting. The kifaru has a somewhat modular set up, so you can add or subtract from the main bag to add more space with pockets and lids etc. Lots of choices. Give them a call and they will help you decide, or at least narrow down to a few choices.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been registered here for a couple years but don’t post much because I usually don’t have anything more to add than what others have said. This thread falls into same category but I felt compelled to login and comment even though it is redundant with above. You won’t regret the Kifaru gear. I’ve called and talked to Aron and others many many times and they have been great and help you get dialed in for your needs. I often wonder if they end up making any money off my purchases after how much time they spent with me on the phone. Great quality, functional design and unbelievable customer service with very knowledgeable people that actually use the gear. I’m sure there are other companies that are good as well but my experience has been with Kifaru. Good luck with your decision. BTW I transitioned from the same BL 2200 when I first went to Kifaru. Night and day difference at least to me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Good quality, you can set up your system exactly the way you want, Very adjustable fit, excellent customer service.

Kotaman

WKR
Aron is THE man, biased or not he will tell you what you need to know. Do what he recommends and get out your credit card...done deal.

GregB

WKR
I also had a bunch of questions when I started shopping for a pack. The rep from Kifaru answered all my questions and helped me to decide on which pack and frame would work best. After 3 years here are the biggest points for me. 1 versatility I can use it as a daypack, to haul meat or go on a 10 day backpacking trip. I can also add or remove pockets to suit my needs for the trip. 2 comfort, you are less fatigued, able to carry more weight, and travel further with the weight properly distributed from your pack. I was surprised at how big of a difference it was when I went from my old pack to a Kifaru. 3 durability, I'm pretty hard on gear and so far have had no issues with the pack. I've had it in the field for 30-40 days a year hunting and backpacking for the last 3 years. I've also found out the hard way the pack will hold more weight than i am capable of carrying. I have the AMR with duplex frame if that helps with your decision at all.

FURMAN

WKR

So,

Why is Kifaru so good?

Load 100 lbs in a lesser pack such as a badlands and go for a 5 mile hike. If you are not sold on a real pack I am not sure what will get you there.

If you gotta ask....you're not ready. lol

Buy once, cry once. Wish I'd listened to all the guys that told me to buy Kifaru much earlier in my pack search. Would've saved me a ton of time, cash, and pain with lesser quality gear.

Best advice is to call Aron. He wont lie to you or steer you wrong to push a sale.

MattB

WKR
If you can try on a few different pack manufacturers, I would do that. That said, my personal preference is Kifaru which I have been happily using for~15 years. I've tried other manufacturer's packs and have never felt a reason to change. Great people/customer service, quality products, a wide range of products/modularity, good resale value - what more do you want?

When I read the reasons for "why not" Kifaru, it is usually because too many guys on this site and others really like them and talk them up. That logic has never made sense to me, but to each their own.

tttoadman

WKR
Kifaru isn't the only game in town.
Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Seek Outside:
They all have there advocates. They all do a good job.

Don't get so hung up on packing heavy. That is a small part of the hrs you spend with the pack on. I care more about enjoying my hunt and the hundreds of hrs in the woods all summer. Packing heavy loads of meat sucks no matter what pack you have. Start with the features you like, and see if that points to a couple clear choices, then spend some money and start packing some weight. You have plenty of time to try a few and find the perfect setup for you.

Qualifier for me:
I have a Kifaru Hunter, A Stone Glacier Krux, and a Seek Outside. They all pack about the same for me. I take what blows my skirt up for the particular hunt at the time.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Here’s my $.02:

1. Kifaru best exemplifies an old-fashioned, over-engineered approach that is capable of accommodating the unforeseen. They exemplify an ethos of “ you-can-bet-your-life-on.” Perhaps Aron’s military experience is showing?
2. Having suffered a broken neck 6 years ago, capability and comfort in the event of packout trumps comfort during 50 lb. walk in. Pack-outs can be dangerous in steep, terrain. See #1.
3. Pack fabrics. They are robust.
4. Packs in variety of shapes and sizes. Multiple options.
5. Modularity of attachments.
6. Fabulous customer service. Call them, and listen to their advice.
7. They retain value.
8. The new frames can be adjusted as much a needed.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Will Kifaru be at the hunt expo? I'm planning on trying out all the packs I can there. Finally upgrading to a high end pack!

I was in your same boat when I got into backpack hunting. Initially looked at Kifaru but was over whelmed by all the options. So I went with a competitors pack that had a e and a x in the name. Lets just say I had a pretty significant failure while I was training. A load lifter buckle snapped on me. Also didn't like that there was no modularity. You were stuck with the pack design. So I ordered a kifaru and love it I have packed out 4 elk and a couple of deer with it and normally hike 4 miles every night with 50lbs in it. Super comfortable super durable and nothing has failed. had 2 cow elk rear quarters in it this year on one trip and it was totally duable. So after running there stuff for a couple of years I'm a fan for Life. Love that there always innovating and that all there gear always works on whatever frame/bag you have and can be customized as far as pockets ect. So my advice is go for it. good luck