Semi-live hunt with Jim in AZ

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well he made to 75 and was thinking of closing the distance to get a shot but passed cause of his one side missing. That's alright because there is still a lot of time left

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
We are heading out for the morning. We've got a pretty good game plan so let's hope it pans out.
A cup of joe and pie for breakfast

Hardstalk

WKR
Slow afternoon so far. No sign of the buck we were after this morning, bunch of does with no boyfriends. Woke up to a dozen coyotes screaming and a moon bright enough that we didn't need headlamps for the hike in. Still glassing, hopefully the buck shows himself this evening.

P.s we look like the Olson twins... Kifaru packs, kuiu guide jackets, both have 65mm razor spotters and not to mention the matching Sitka optifade pants.. Purely coincidental.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
We are heading out for Andrews day 4
Hopefully everything has settled down from the weekend and no coyotes howling.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
We haven't located the 4 point yet but I just got real close to a nice heavy 3 point coues. I told Andrew that I would head farther down the ridge so that we could cover the whole basin glassing. As I was walking I looked up and had a stare down at 70 yards with this beautiful buck then his only doe trotted off and he followed. I wish Andrew would have been the one that went down. The shot would have been a flat straight shot with no wind at all.

Hardstalk

WKR
If I had to sum up arizona hunting from my perspective to date. This would be it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420580146.399701.jpg
What doesn't try to poke you, will stab you. But, if your lucky enough to avoid the sharp stuff. Than expect to roll an ankle or pop a knee!

This is some really cool terrain in its own light. Haven't found the 4x since Sunday and its leaving us guessing he either got popped by another hunter. Or left the country. We've turned every rock and tree for a 3-4 mile radius. Still working in figuring out plan b. Might pack up and head a couple hours back toward nevada. Or head into couse country and see what those are all about.

velvetfvr

WKR
If I had to sum up arizona hunting from my perspective to date. This would be it. View attachment 22368
What doesn't try to poke you, will stab you. But, if your lucky enough to avoid the sharp stuff. Than expect to roll an ankle or pop a knee!

This is some really cool terrain in its own light. Haven't found the 4x since Sunday and its leaving us guessing he either got popped by another hunter. Or left the country. We've turned every rock and tree for a 3-4 mile radius. Still working in figuring out plan b. Might pack up and head a couple hours back toward nevada. Or head into couse country and see what those are all about.

Worse then when sheep huntin?

Hardstalk

WKR
Jim and I packed up camp and split ways last night. He headed home to get his hard earned buck to the taxidermist. I'm headed west to do a bit of recon on a few different areas. Camped out in the truck last night and the accommodations were top notch. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420645154.351512.jpg it will take me some time to find the travel patterns and locate deer where I'm headed. This tag allows me the freedom to do so. It's good from jan 1-31. Again in August-sept, And once more in December. I joined in on Jims hunt because the opportunity was quite gracious. It's not everyday someone invites you to come tromp around their honey hole that they have spent 5+ years memorizing and perfecting. It was a real look at the character of Jim, straight shootin' and honest dude who works his ass off and doesn't sugar coat anything.

This seemed to be an off year in his area, between the moon phase and predator pressure the deer did not want to play our game and were on high alert. I believe this to be the second and last estrus cycle for the does in the area. It let the bucks travel from herd to herd, had I stayed there was a chance a good buck would stroll thru and hit a few more does. But with limited vacation time and a 7 hour drive home I made the choice to head out and find my own honey hole. Hopefully within a couple hours from home so I can scout more often. This hunt has been a "Campfire talk" for me for several years. I'm stoked to have a tag and a reason to scout in areas I can actually hunt. I usually spend my weekends scouting areas I doubt I'll ever hunt in NV.

Thanks for the support in the past few days from all who followed, Jim and Andrews hunt has officially ended. But.. Andrews hunt is just starting! It won't be live for a while, I've got a long road ahead to find a consecutive area. But the spark has been lit. Thanks again jimmy!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well the hunt was a blast! From snow ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420677343.647264.jpg
To sun ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420677374.231149.jpg
And everything in between. All of the prior years paid off this year by tagging a great buck. I really thought by having tagged out early that the odds were in favor of Andrew getting a buck or at least more opportunities. I definitely tried my butt off to get him on some bucks but things just didn't pan out for him. Andrew is a good dude and would hunt with him anytime. Good luck on the remainder of your tag brother.
Next on my list is a coues buck with my bow so it looks like I'll have some more live hunts in the future. Thanks to everyone who followed. I hope that I provided enough info to keep everyone intrigued with pics and play by play when there was action. Till next year in AZ!