SG 2022 new tent

4th_point

WKR
I don't mind a 1P tent with single door at the end. But, it seems like some designs, maybe that SG included, can allow rain into the interior during ingress/egress unless you are careful not to open the fly door much. I have a tent like that and in downpours and blowing rain it is a bit of pain. If the SG has a big vestibule, then maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

On a 2P tent, I would want two side doors.

TXCO

WKR
Here it is- slingfin hotbox. It doesnt seem like a great 2p tent but side options to store gear without crawling over is interesting to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So…….this thread is interesting. I quick read it but the shredded tent stuff was interesting. Having ran that tent among many others, that’s a surprising result for a 4-season design. That structure has both internal and external guy lines. It’s a tank. I actually cold contacted Slingfin a few years ago to ask them about some of their design choices, before I bought that tent - the response, material choices and philosophy were informative and somewhat compelling. They have a good blog detailing a lot of those choices, and more broadly their design perspective.

As far as the new tent goes, 2p alpine style (thanks for posting that TXCO, Slingfin has good facts out there on it) is certainly going to be smaller than a typical 2-man. Being something that’s optimized for alpine climbing (light, strong, small footprint), I was a bit surprised to see this as the “next” tent SG would release under their label. Then again, I’ve seen lots of single wall alpine tents getting posted over the years on sheep hunts. For normal people, I’m sure it’ll be a 1+ shelter like a Niak.

I’m not sure a 3lb shelter like this is for me, and I also do not care for front entrances - it might not be for a lot of people. But if you research that design a bit, it is pretty purpose built, and the “garages” are a lot like what sierra designs was doing years ago. That doesn’t make it wrong, and I think the skyscraper is going to be a far better tent for most people who want a poled shelter.

sneaky

"DADDY"
All you have to do to compare this tent is to find a Bibler El Dorado, or an MH Direkt, or a BA Shield, and crawl inside and check the space. These tents are purposefully designed to shed real estate so they can fit in tight spots. 82in inside length is SHORT for anyone over 5'10", and 52"/42" width at head and foot is snug as well. There are certain hunts this would work well on, but September elk and deer hunts not so much. That uncovered front door isn't an issue when precip is frozen as snow. During rain? Inside is going to get wet going in and out of the tent.

Its on their website now...

sr80

WKR
the video is up on youtube now. I kind of wish there was a small vestibule off the front like a big agnes tent rather than off to the sides of the tent and through those glory holes. I think sitting in the doorway and taking your muddy boots and gaiters off and then bringing them inside the test and through the glory holes would be messy. There also doesn't seem to be any sort of awning or protection over the entrance door to keep rain or snow from falling onto you sleeping bag.

It is nice that the outer can stay attached to the inner for setup though.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the podcast, ill take a listen to it! sorry if I came across as a a-hole. I just don't want any misinformation spread, i hope you can understand.

I am pretty passionate about this topic because I've been on this darn quest for 5-6 years now trying to find
the "best" tent for my use and it has been a quest to say the least.

Ive gone through the old kuiu moutain star 1p (condensation trap), mountain star 2p, SO Eolus DCF, SO Cimm DCF, Big Agnes Tigerwall UL 1P, and a couple more.

The best design I have used so far is the KUIU mountain star 2p, and this is purely personal preference. The SO tents are bomber, I have had them in 50mph gusts before; floorless is just not for me.

Might want to give the KUIU Kutana pants a go, they are awesome and i have had them for 3 season strong so far.

Cheers
Can you elaborate more on statement regarding the SO tents? I'm about to go to a floorless bivy quilt direction and any feedback is good. Why are they not for you? What was the pros and cons. Thanks

R_burg

WKR
Here it is- slingfin hotbox. It doesnt seem like a great 2p tent but side options to store gear without crawling over is interesting to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was going to post this. Doesn't take much research to figure out SG tents are rebranded Slingfins.... OP even implied it.

I was very disappointed to see this tent is only 80” long
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Even at 86" I'm rubbing my bag on the inside of my Hilleberg Niak (on an X-Lite pad), so unless these walls are totally vertical (they're not), then I'm a little skeptical of the length.

Last edited: