SG Solo with lid vs Archer 6200 in bivy mode?

dec0y

FNG
Has anyone run both of these packs? I'm finding that my needs are probably at the larger end of the Solo (5-7 day backpack hunts), or at the smaller end of the 6200 (in bivy mode).

I'm not one who needs a tremendous amount of organization, but some is nice to have to cut down on the number of stuff sacks. I don't know if this is a major hurdle with either pack.

My gear is pretty streamlined in volume for archey elk hunts and takes up 35-45L, excluding food, and depending on shared gear.

Are there any obvious deficiencies in running either of these setups? My ideal would be able to function well as a day/overnight pack, as well as have enough expansion to extend it to a multi day. It's unlikely I would need to extend range past 7 days without resupply.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go with the 6200. I've used both extensively and prefer the 6200 in bivy mode for most of my 4-7 hunts. The Solo will barely fit my foul weather 3 day load (beefier shelter and rain gear). The 6200 compresses for day trips extremely well and is just as trim as the Solo. It is what I used for most of last season. If you have not done so, check out the thread on my yearlong use of the 6200.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/44840-testing-stone-glacier-sky-archer-6200-a.html

-Josh

Used them side by side this year for about six days. I really like the Solo, but generally agree on the Archer being the slightly better option in your case. Access on both is great. Solo has the advantage of a really nice outside pocket that holds a bunch, but the lid (if used) is a bit oversize for the bag and dangles a bit. Very little difference in bivy mode size wise, but the 6200 can expand if needed.. The 6200 is also sized relatively wide and flat, which holds everything close to your back. I like it.