Sh!tty Packs

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
With all the fanboy backpack posts lately, can we come back to earth a little bit with photos with people packing animals out on “subpar” backpacks? I’ll start.

3 mile pack out with an Arcteryx Bora 65 (definitely not subpar for the backpacking world).

Let’s see them Jansports.
bb86e040d573791a9ec4c24c1c0a056d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgebs311

FNG
1589599105618.jpegHelping my buddy pack out his bull out 6 miles with our Eberlestock Dragonfly packs. I have had this pack for 7 years. I am upgrading my pack this year, but this pack has done everything I’ve needed it to. I have been very happy with it. It will continue to work for my son when he gets older too!

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
10 days worth of gear in an Eberlestock Blue Widow, that was about 2 miles.

Half of a big cow in same pack. Dropped into the wrong drainage coming out, turned a 1 mile pack into just over 6. And it rained the entire time.
c978f29b3c3ee20fe86f380dc79a8e53.jpg
7a651d879a051c1665c5cf5abbe4bb99.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I was so excited when I got my first pack. Read a bunch of reviews and thought I was getting a killer set-up. Eberlestock j104 with spike camp duffle, so many cool features. The biggest lesson I learned from that purchase was that reviews are only as good as the reviewer.

Looking at this pic is a trip. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self all the crap I didn't know. Lots of experience later adn i have learned a few lessons.

120 lbs of moose meat, my shoulders were on FIRE.
pack2.JPG

I was so excited when I got my first pack. Read a bunch of reviews and thought I was getting a killer set-up. Eberlestock j104 with spike camp duffle, so many cool features. The biggest lesson I learned from that purchase was that reviews are only as good as the reviewer.

Looking at this pic is a trip. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self all the crap I didn't know. Lots of experience later adn i have learned a few lessons.

120 lbs of moose meat, my shoulders were on FIRE.
View attachment 181610

It's called wisdom, and it doesn't come easy.

EastMT

WKR
I packed out a lot of animals with an Eberlestock Just One. They aren’t good with a heavy load but they get the job done if you can’t afford a nice one, just have to suck it up. A used one from someone with sore shoulders after a heavy pack out can be bought cheap, sometimes free haha.

I do still like it for day hunts, the rifle scabbard is really handy in snow or rain, having your gun covered.

I think this thread is great, shows that if you absolutely can’t afford a top pack you can still do it, even with pillow cases! I love it!

Northpark

WKR
Don’t know if an alps outdoorz extreme traverse is considered a sub par pack but it held up to 3 miles and 3,000’ of elevation with half a boned out bull elk. Shoulders hurt after that one. I’ve gone over to a kuiu since then and have been very happy with it.
8ED8C3A0-F64E-4984-922C-564474014CFE.jpeg

I have to throw in my Eberlestock pack (Dragon Fly).

When packed with meat it's a shoulder killing machine. Only used it for 2 big game seasons.
It's doesn't have load lifters and it doesn't carry weight well. I still use it for day hikes, camping, and some upland game activities.

WCB

WKR
no pictures of it....but spent 10 days packing around the Sangre's with a Coleman brand pack from Walmart and a $40 tent. That was I didn't even have a tag just videoing for a couple guys for fun...helped pack out a cow elk on the 8th day.

To be completely honest not the worst pack in the world...I used a couple Bandlands packs that were POSs and would take that Coleman pack over a Badlands any day of the week. In fact, on that trip one of the guys had the top of the line Badlands and 4 days in his shoulder strap broke...

I think My pack cost $60...but had an "internal frame". I still have it and use it to pack bags of corn in ND for early season bow hunting.

87TT

WKR
no pictures of it....but spent 10 days packing around the Sangre's with a Coleman brand pack from Walmart and a $40 tent. That was I didn't even have a tag just videoing for a couple guys for fun...helped pack out a cow elk on the 8th day.

To be completely honest not the worst pack in the world...I used a couple Bandlands packs that were POSs and would take that Coleman pack over a Badlands any day of the week. In fact, on that trip one of the guys had the top of the line Badlands and 4 days in his shoulder strap broke...

I think My pack cost $60...but had an "internal frame". I still have it and use it to pack bags of corn in ND for early season bow hunting.
Those old Colemans were heavy but bomb proof. I used one when I first started backpacking. Didn't know any better and carried 60 plus lb loads all the time.

Tradchef

WKR
I don’t have a pic of this buck loaded up but this was one of those shitty pack pack outs. I left my good pack at the truck and opted for my REI Trail 35 as I wasn’t expecting to see much that evening. I found a drainage about 3.5 miles from the truck and it had a couple of decent bucks fighting it out over a few ladies. Long story short...I dropped the hammer and then was like f#$k......wrong pack for the job.....lol. It did the job even though it wasn‘t all that comfy.

Attachments

• F65AFD70-F001-4444-8A20-7E1562F1D431.jpeg
    F65AFD70-F001-4444-8A20-7E1562F1D431.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 288