Share your “Buy once cried once” lesson

I’m 63. I’ve had plenty of misery and thrown away enough money without having to try a vortex rifle scope for myself. I did buy a Razor HD 80mm spotter which is way better than what I had, and adequate for spotting bullet holes and telling bucks from does across the canyon. I Never had the chance to use a Swarovski, but I’m sure I’d have to have one if I ever do.

Smo87

FNG
I bought 4 different 200 dollar releases to try and find one I liked as much as the 275 dollar one. Now I have all five. Was not very smart though I do use all of them now haha

vkl

FNG
Classified Approved
A stainless rolex. You will always be able to sell it if you need to.

Mostly clothing - started with hand me down BDUs and items from thrift stores. All fell apart within a season or two. Upgraded to scentlok, scentblocker, cabelas, and various other cheap store brands - all last only a season or two. Went all in First Lite a couple years ago and most is holding up great to hard hunting.

Still haven't purchased a truly high-end pack, but am working my way there. Had a couple cheap alps, scentlok, and walmart ones. Currently have a horn hunter which is miles above those, but also not without it's issues.

Guns - Started with some cheaper deer shotguns, have a couple budget rifles, and am now starting to get into higher end rifles. Definitely a noticeable increase in polish between a $1000 rifle and a $250 one.

Optics - Used cheap nikon for years and now vortex. Vortex is better for sure but also not without issues. Can't bring myself to spend $1k on optics yet though.
Check out the https://initialascent.com/ packs. I purchased one on sale and even did a Facetime call with the owner to get it fitted right.

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
I regret buying Anything vortex, cheap packs, cheap rifles and cheap booze.

Had a vortex rifle scope fail on an elk hunt and I missed a 230 yard shot twice... the windage turret failed and I was off by 2 feet at 100 yards. Two days before my cousin used my gun to smoke a bull at 490 yards. Sure vortex fixed my scope but ill never get back that bull.

I have 10 pairs of binoculars. I only use my swarovski's.....It pains me to look through anything else.
I have bought 30 scopes in my lifetime......then I slowly replaced them all with Leupold Goldrings....
I have 10 pairs of cheap boots.......I only use my Kennetreks...

If I could go back to the beginning, I would sell all of the guns I have and only buy Browning. They are the one gun that has never failed me (Besides my glocks).

Just to name a few.

WDO

FNG
Packs.
I used a badlands for a bit, and it did its job, but was miserable when loaded. Then I got a stone glacier and wish i had started with it.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I went through several cheap spotters before I landed at the Leica Televid APO. Now I have glass that I can pass on to my kids.

Emscott

FNG
Walmart camo then Redhead Camo then Kryptek. Should have just started with the Kryptek would have saved money in the long run as well as some pretty cold and miserable hunts. Kryptek so far is top notch.

Climbing tree stands and bows are two other items I wish I would have spent more up front on.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I came to hunting by way of backpacking. Thousands of miles and hundreds of nights camping makes every dyneema/Xpac/high fill power down item I own vastly worth it. Cutting the weight on my back from 40 pounds for a weekend trip down to 10 pounds was worth every dollar to me, but man, it was a lot of crying over the past five years building up all that expensive gear.

Mojave

WKR
I have probably bought and sold 20 pairs of binoculars.

Get Alpha glass and get over it.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I have probably bought and sold 20 pairs of binoculars.

Get Alpha glass and get over it.

I listened to all of you that have been saying that and jumped from some $300 Vortex Diamondbacks last year to some $3,000 Swarovski NL Pures.