"Sheep are for Young Men" when hunting is more than just hunting

Jimbob

WKR
A famous sheep hunter once said, “Sheep are for young men…”

So naturally, I took my 12 yr old son to the remote northern mountains of British Columbia to hunt one of North America’s most sought after game animals, the Stone Sheep.

Josh is precise, cautious, and has tremendous respect for authority. He never dives right into something without thinking it through. In many ways, he’s the polar opposite of who I am. At times, this has made me pull out my hair in frustration, but as he is maturing I have grown to realize that he is becoming his own man with many endearing qualities that I lack. Our time together on this hunt further added to the overwhelming pride that I have to call this young man my son.

Hunters know that a sheep hunt never begins when you step out your front door, drive the long hours north, or board a plane. Instead, it commences months in advance with the scouting of huntable areas, numerous gear and food preparations, and the hours of hiking with a weighted pack. A particular event that contributed to the preparations of this hunt took place a month before we departed.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Josh loves everything about the military and dreams of one day being part of Canada’s elite fighting force, the Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2). Just think of a Navy seal but even more badass (I’m sure you American’s reading this might argue that though but we’ll leave that debate for another time). A colleague/friend of mine has a son in the JTF2 and he was in town visiting. Months earlier my wife asked for a favour and of course, this warrior came through. The JTF2 soldier came to our house to visit with Josh and presented two special gifts. One was an authentic name patch complete with the assaulter symbol (custom made for Josh). The next gift was a Canadian flag patch that the soldier had worn through all of his training up to this point in his career. “A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into that patch,” the soldier proclaimed as he handed it to Josh.

He shared stories, advice, and some pictures before heading out. A very cool experience for Josh and it was clear in how hard he was willing to train for the hunt afterwards that this exchange added to his will and determination. With all the preparations behind us, it was finally time to start the hunt.
IMG_0708.JPG

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Day one was easy enough: 9.5 miles with a meager 900’ of elevation gain. The unkept trail was littered with blowdown, had an unusually high number of blood-sucking insects, and the unrelenting sun added to the fun. The river crossing was tricky as it was waist-deep and flowing hard, much too deep for Josh. I made a couple of trips across ferrying our gear then finally carrying Josh across on my back. The only casualty was my slip-on crocs that were ripped from my feet by the strong current. No camp shoes on this trip I guess. This hike got us to the bottom of our intended mountain drainage with still one day before the opener.
DSC00547.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Day two was all about elevation. Steep switchbacks through dark timber, pushing through willows in a high mountain valley, side hilling across scree fields and finally, a scramble up a rocky chute would get us up the 3200’ of elevation needed to arrive at our final camping spot. In the morning, we climbed out of the bugs but the blazing sun met us in the valley and by the afternoon the skin on our faces felt dry and tight so we stopped for a rest and some lunch. With a tarp set up to block the sun, we grabbed a quick nap in the shade. As I arose from underneath the tarp after a restful sleep, I spotted a sheep high on the valley walls. It was moving and there was no time to get the scope on it. It only lasted a second but Josh laid eyes on his first stone sheep, uneventful but memorable. By the late afternoon, we climbed the last 800’ and made our final camp 5.5 miles from our camping spot that morning. There was still plenty of time to head to the ridge top and spend the evening glassing the distant hills.

At our perch hidden among the boulders, we boiled some water to make our evening meal, covered up our exposed skin from the torching rays, and counted over 40 stone sheep that dotted the distant grassy slope. Our excitement for the following morning was bubbling over. As I kept eyes on the band of rams amongst the numerous sheep, Josh read aloud from The Terminal List, a novel by Jack Carr. With rain in the forecast we brought along a couple of books to pass the time, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time reading together on this trip. We stayed on the ridge until the light faded and I could no longer see the bedded rams. We made for the tent knowing that it would be an early morning chasing those sheep.

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Instead of awakening to my phone alarm, I was jolted from my sleep by the tent flapping from the strong mountain wind and rain pelting the thin silnylon. Distant lightning flashed causing a soft glow to fill our small two-man tent and the wind slowly intensified. Then the cracks of thunder began to get closer and the flashes of lightning were more intense. I prayed to God that the ultra-lightweight tent would hold and questioned if I should have brought my son up here. Finally, after an hour of sweating and praying the wind died down and the rain, thunder, and lightning ceased, I offered my thanks to God but now wondered about that river crossing. I checked the forecast on my inreach and more rain was coming. “Would I be able to cross that swollen river after another 7 storms like this?” I wondered to myself.

However, just as fast as the storm came in and ignited my fears, it was gone and those worries swept away with it. I had sheep on the brain now. I boiled water for oatmeal, coffee, and Josh’s hot chocolate. He didn’t look too impressed when I nudged him awake and shoved a bowl of gritty oatmeal in his face at 4:30 am. Five minutes later and he up was choking down the oatmeal and sipping his hot chocolate. This kid doesn’t complain about anything I thought to myself as I could clearly see how tired he was.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
By 5:00 am we were hiking towards some distant cliffs a mile and half away. With a strong south wind at our backs, I aimed for the cliffs that were about 1000 yds west from where the sheep were the previous evening. The plan was to glass from that location, spot the rams to our east, and then circle North up above them. This would keep the wind in our favour and we could approach the unsuspecting rams from above, the perfect set-up. As we crossed the valley between our two ridges, I spotted one ewe up and feeding but nothing else. We booked it to the cliffs just in time to watch a group of 5 ewes begin to feed our way. They were 600 yds to our east and headed directly towards us - great to watch but I hoped they wouldn’t mess things up. I spotted a few more sheep just as the sun peeked over the nearby mountain tops. Josh huddled in the rocks trying to keep warm as the high heat and blazing sun from yesterday was traded in for a stiff breeze and near-freezing temps this morning. As I pulled on my thin fleece gloves I scanned the valley floor below. Much to my surprise, I spotted more sheep, “wow we must have walked right by those ewes I thought”. I brought up my binoculars and was even more shocked to see horns. “They’re rams I almost yelled to Josh”. I spun the spotter down in their direction and could see 4 rams with the biggest being legal for sure; he dwarfed the others in size. After 5 minutes of feeding, they funneled directly away from us and down into a gulley that led to steep cliffs.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
With the wind in our faces, we almost sprinted straight to the rams. They had dropped into a gully and were out of sight. With no chance they could see or smell us, I felt so confident.

All of sudden, five more rams were funneling down into the gulley following the same path as the previous sheep we had seen, “Where were these guys hiding I thought” as we dropped to our knees and let the sheep get out of sight. Now we slowed from our mad dash and snuck to the edge of the gully but upon our arrival, all we saw were empty cliffs. I was confident though that the sheep would come back this way so we hunkered down and got comfortable. Now, I would prefer to stalk in on bedded sheep but this situation called for an ambush.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
It was 8:00 am and with so much action and running all over it felt like the whole morning had passed. Josh asked what time it was as he pulled his lunch out. He truly thought it was noon as he tore into a hunk of bread that he hoped hadn’t gone stale yet.

We lied prone in the grass peering down into the shallow gully only 100 yds across that funneled into a steep cliff with a ridge 200 yds away up and slightly to our right. If the sheep came back out this way then it would be an easy shot for Josh. I glanced over to the east horizon wishing that the clouds would part and give some much-needed warmth and again was surprised by the sight of 15 sheep skylined 600 yds away and feeding towards us.

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
“SHEEP HAVEN'' were the words that came out of Josh’s mouth. I put the spotter on the group and started studying the two biggest rams. At least 7 yrs old, maybe 8, my 45x spotter just didn’t have the juice to find every ring at that distance. The group of sheep continued feeding towards our gully then dropped into a depression and disappeared before reaching us. They were moving from our left to right and there was a large plateau across the gully that sloped away from us that we couldn’t see. I figured they were on that plateau and knew we needed to be ready as they could pop up at 200 yds if they came our way. 10 minutes later two rams came over the ridge to our right and made their way to the cliffs below giving us no time to age them. Minutes later a couple of ewes followed the same path. Then some small rams mulled around on the ridge 200 yds away then headed back towards the plateau. At 8:30 am a good-looking ram came upon the ridge stood broadside and bedded down.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
“1, 2 , 3 , 4 , 5, 6, 7, … 7… 7… I can only see 7”, I tell Josh. “There might be an 8th ring tucked close to his skull but I just can’t see.” This ram is 7 for sure maybe 8. Five minutes later and the ram struts from our right to our left passing by at 150 yds. He slowly feeds across the plain heading towards our morning glassing spot.

Ok, it had been non-stop sheep since first light. Josh and I look at each other and both think the same thing “The long hike in was totally worth it”. We lie in the grass soaking in the moment with stone sheep all around us. I glass back to where we were sitting in the morning and the group of 5 ewes are feeding 10 yds away, I’m startled as Josh says “Sheep” in a very excited whisper.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I bring my head around and 3 rams appear on the ridge 200 yds away. The lead one is big, much bigger than the 7 yr old we just watched. I try to get the spotter on him but they’re moving fast. They break into a gallop and curl down the bank. I think they are headed down into the cliffs but instead, they disappear into the gully floor and are coming right at us. “Get ready,” I tell Josh. The horns from the lead ram crest the rise at 56 yds, two more steps, and the ram freezes in his tracks as I have my binos up counting rings.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
“He’s legal, shoot him head on”.

I don’t even get the words out of my mouth and the rifle erupts beside me. Josh was locked in just waiting for the call. The ram's body quivers, and blood pumps from the base of his neck as he takes two steps back. Then his rear legs fold and he drops dead to the ground without another movement. Josh just looks over at me with a sly smile and says in disbelief, “Well I shot a sheep”.

DSC00566.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I bury my face in the ground and shake with a mixture of laughter and tears, overwhelmed with the rush of emotion. I roll over to Josh and hug him from behind. We lie there looking at the dead ram as the other two rams wander around 60 yds away lost without their leader. Finally, the startled rams trotted away and Josh walked down to see his first stone sheep. 9:15 am opening morning and this young man has his hands on his first stone sheep. Inreach messages to Mom, Grandpa, and some other friends out on a distant mountain round up the celebrations.

DSC00568.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Now the work begins!

I have always heard that saying in reference to a downed moose and now I chuckle at the thought. I grew up hunting moose in Ontario and have been part of countless successful hunts and none of those would prepare you for a downed stone sheep. Sure, the animal is a fraction of the size but when you need to get that sheep to the trailhead 4000’ below and 16.5 miles away you learn a new definition of what “work” means. What a test for Josh.

DSC00591.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
He had the honour of carrying the head and horns out and I had the privilege (I truly mean that) of carrying the meat. We walked back to camp in the rain and thought about what lied ahead. At 1:30 pm we ate lunch in our tent then packed up and decided to get off the mountain and hike back down to our first camping spot. When we rolled into the small clearing by the river at 7:30 pm the long day was telling in Josh’s face. He dropped into his seat and barely moved for the next 2 hours. We roasted meat on the fire and reminisced as the sun dropped behind the high mountain peaks.

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
DSC00608.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

The next day was a grind as our heavy packs pulled at sore shoulders and hips over the rough 9.5 mile trail leading back to civilization. Thankfully, I found an easier place to cross the river and we made it across without incident. After hiking for more than 9 hours we arrived at the Jeep and dropped our packs to the ground. I grabbed my son and held him tight. I told him how much I loved him and how proud I was of him. He just completed a pretty grueling 4 day sheep hunt and he never complained once. As I held him in my arms he simply said,

“Thanks for taking me, this was so much fun”

I burst into laughter at his comment. At the height of our pain, soaking wet and cold, having carried a 44 lbs pack down 4000’ and over 15 miles in 2 days his response was “this was so much fun”. I told him only a sheep hunter would call this fun. Of course, the famous quote from Jock O’Connor came to mind

There is no halfway. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn't. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won't be caught dead on another sheep mountain. “The Bighorn,” March 1960

I knew my son was under the spell and from this point on in his life he would call himself a sheep hunter.