shelter for Idaho

mdkelley

FNG
looking at a late spring bear (end of May or June) and going back for archery elk. Anyone with Idaho experience during both those seasons have advice for a shelter or sleep system that would work for both? I haven't identified an area yet that would be good for both hunts, still researching. Hoping to do some elk scouting while bear hunting if possible. Never hunted out west so don't have any equipment (except backpack) or experience.

Temperature likely won't be a big concern. You could look at 3 season tents or tarps. Even in busy units I've always found it's easy to get away from people in bear season, unlike deer and elk season. I'd just bring whatever tent and camp by the road then you don't have to worry about weight. P

I'll warn you that scouting for elk during bear season is mostly worthless in all units I'm familiar with. The elk will be in different spots in September. They're just on their way in the Spring. Most recommend don't start scouting until July 4th. Said another way, no one scouts elk on their winter range and it's the same reasoning with transition range. Elk in archery season are on summer range.

I'd be bear hunting where there's lots of bears not where I'm thinking about elk hunting.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
i have ran my SO cimaron the last 3 years for rifle elk in idaho and with a stove it has been about as good as it gets

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
I have been considering the cimaron with stove and nest for an all round setup here in Michigan and out west.

There's four of us in our group. We each bring our own 2 person tent and usually camp by the truck/road. It's nice to have a little extra room when you're living in a tent for 10 days. Two of us are using REI halfdome 2 plus tents and the others are similar. We all use 0-20 degree bags. My brother and I both like our Outdoor Vitals 0 degree down bags. They're a little more than you need for early season, but towards the end of our trips its been down into the 20s at night. You'll want some sort of sleeping pad too. If we want to stay out a few nights away from the truck we can just take two tents and still have room for all of us.

If you don't have anything already the cimmaron setup you mentioned would be a good do-it-all setup. You don't NEED a stove, but it would be nice though. We've been fine in 3 season tents down into the 20s as long as you have a good sleeping bag.

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Rei just came out with a new tent. Quarter dome SL. Saw one in the store and they look really nice and super light weight for the price.