Shield cut vs Parabolic

mtbshark

WKR
I feel the difference in performance is similar to:
A clean freshly washed car gets better gas mileage than a dirty one!

I have found that sometimes the only thing is that shield but sometimes “sometimes” is a little louder in flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shield is louder. Depending on setup it might or might not be noticed. The faster the arrow the bigger the difference is.

In terms of tuning or arrow flight characteristics I haven't ever noticed a difference.

Skull10

WKR
I have 3" shield cuts now, they are definitely louder that the older 2" Blazers I had. I don't see any difference in performance, but I wanted a low profile 3" and I do like the look.

OP
justin davis
I’ve heard some Olympic archers say that shield cuts have more drag hence them being a little louder. Do shields could possibly be more accurate.

I shoot some parabolic vanes and shield cut out of the same bow. The shield cut are a heavier vane so I use a wrap to equal out the weight. I can't tell a difference in accuracy but I'm no Olympic Archer. Given time this spring I might put them in the shooting machine and see if I can tell a difference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only vanes that I've ever been able to hear after the arrow has left my bow is Flex Fletch SK200's and SK300's. I've never heard any others, and I've shot 2" and 3" QS's, Blazers, and 2.1" and 3" Fusions.

The only vanes that I've ever been able to hear after the arrow has left my bow is Flex Fletch SK200's and SK300's. I've never heard any others, and I've shot 2" and 3" QS's, Blazers, and 2.1" and 3" Fusions.

That's interesting. We weren't able to tell a difference down range from the SK300's and the 3" fusions. I can't hear worth a damn, however I have others stand down range and rate the arrow noise. I'll need to double check my notes. I could definitely be remembering things incorrect.

We're you shooting a heavy helix with the SK300's?

Blazers and the old quick spins seem to generally be the loudest vanes in my experience and recollection.

Beendare

WKR
Yep, if you are downrange of the Shield cut vanes [or feathers] ....you can hear a big difference.

What you are hearing is more drag....so no doubt they lose a tiny bit more trajectory at long range.

Codyk315

FNG
I believe that shield cut is a little louder, however, they are still quieter than blazer or another other high profile vane I have seen. I shoot a low profile shield in a 4 fletch, and I love the flight, but there is some noise. I also believe that the stiffness of the vane contributes to the noise more so than the cut.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's interesting. We weren't able to tell a difference down range from the SK300's and the 3" fusions. I can't hear worth a damn, however I have others stand down range and rate the arrow noise. I'll need to double check my notes. I could definitely be remembering things incorrect.

We're you shooting a heavy helix with the SK300's?

Blazers and the old quick spins seem to generally be the loudest vanes in my experience and recollection.

When I'm the one down range listening to them they all make noise to me. But from my own bow, the SK's are the only one's I've heard........a hiss flying down range. I had a 2-3 degree helical on the SK's. I've had my kids stand behind the shed and listen to my arrows as they go by, and they say they all sound the same to them. But vane noise is probably below the bottom of my list in order of importance for me to use them.

I got really anal about my arrow noise. I'm pretty convinced that animals are reacting to the noise of the arrow, not the bow. Generally broadheads make more noise than the fletching, however I want a quiet arrow all around.

I don't worry about arrow noise for elk. I think it is important with whitetail.

OP
justin davis
I got really anal about my arrow noise. I'm pretty convinced that animals are reacting to the noise of the arrow, not the bow. Generally broadheads make more noise than the fletching, however I want a quiet arrow all around.

I don't worry about arrow noise for elk. I think it is important with whitetail.
Yep I agree with you. Arrow noise matters. On some animals more than others.
But I tend to go for the quietest setup. I feel like parabolic are quieter so I tend to shoot those

I agree with the conclusion here. The ability for a shield cut to stabilize an arrow better and for longer makes it higher on my list of priorities. I want a more forgiving setup in changing weather conditions and terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
justin davis
Right now I’m shooting some Flex fletch SK 200 vanes. They are shooting great. Gonna compare to the flash vane. Same exact vane except parabolic. They should be quieter. I would guess they preform the same being so close vane wise.

Here’s a pic of a group I shot with the sk 200’s at 100 yards. Probably my best group at 100 I’ve ever shot

Attachments

• D6072F06-787D-472F-B868-050E73C2149F.jpeg
    D6072F06-787D-472F-B868-050E73C2149F.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 56

dkime

WKR
Right now I’m shooting some Flex fletch SK 200 vanes. They are shooting great. Gonna compare to the flash vane. Same exact vane except parabolic. They should be quieter. I would guess they preform the same being so close vane wise.

Here’s a pic of a group I shot with the sk 200’s at 100 yards. Probably my best group at 100 I’ve ever shot

I have a love hate relationship with these SK series vanes, I could not tell you how many blood soaked arrows I've attached them to but it is a lot. The only down side is the UV issue with color stability. White is yellow in no time flat.