Shoot Between the Pins

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Ok everybody let's hear your tips, tricks and systems for shooting off-yardages. For me shooting between 30 and 40 yards is no problem but 77 yards can be a nightmare.

I shoot a 7 pin Spott Hogg on a Mathews NoCam HTR with 414gr. Black Eagle x-impacts @ 274FPS.

Cheers!

Jason

BuckSnort

WKR
I have always split them to find new aiming points, after I run out of pins I stack them to find aiming points... Im not the best at stacking though, I only have 5 pins and 70+ yards are tough for me...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For 77 yards I split my 70 and 80 pins in the middle and aim 2-3" high. Worst case I hit high in the 10 ring or it drops in and is still in the 10 ring.

Read1t48

WKR
I'm new to bow hunting so take my advice with that in mind but I go to my nearest pin... 54yds gets my 50 pin and 56yds gets my 60 pin and then I aim high or low. With adequate practice I find this works for me.
Anyone else do it this way?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm new to bow hunting so take my advice with that in mind but I go to my nearest pin... 54yds gets my 50 pin and 56yds gets my 60 pin and then I aim high or low. With adequate practice I find this works for me.
Anyone else do it this way?

That will work fine on big game. However, one time in the heat of the moment I was in one of those "between" pins distances and picked the further pin with the intention of "aiming low". Well, by the time I got to full draw my head was under the impression that I was "aiming high" with that same pin, and shot right over the back.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always aim with the gap between my pins for my in between shots. I haven't found it to be that difficult.

rodney482

WKR
This is where sights with 5 fixed pins and a floater pin shine.

I hate splitting pins and on an animal I could never do it. I would just aim high with lower yardage pin

Beendare

WKR
I judge the gap between my pins, focus on the spot and shoot. So on say a 45 yd shot its dead center between pins.

I have buddies that like to shoot off a pin and that same shot put the 40 on the animals back....or 50 on its underbelly. Personally I can't shoot that way as I have to be focused on the spot I'm trying to hit.

gumbl3

WKR
I always gap the pins, just seems instinctive to me.

At 52 I know I'm going to be close to 50. Now at 56/57 I'm know I'm going to be falling off faster than I would at 44 so I'm usually splitting 60 and dead center of the gap. That's what's always worked well for me. Anything over half and I'm going to miss high if I judge wrong, better to hit mid lung then miss underneath since my aim point is about 1/3 of the way up

I gap the pins on the spot I want to hit. I like the clear sight picture provided by gapping, and often practice at the "5's" gapping the pins.....25/35/45/55 yards on the fixed pins of my 5 pin slider. I find I the clear view of the target actually eases any thoughts of target panic I may have from shooting with the pins covering the spot. Good luck with it!

hwy1strat

WKR
I tried gapping for a while but found I was much more accurate holding the pin high. So, if it was 56yards, I would pick a spot higher on the back, such as the top of the shoulder.

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
I judge the gap between my pins, focus on the spot and shoot. So on say a 45 yd shot its dead center between pins.

I have buddies that like to shoot off a pin and that same shot put the 40 on the animals back....or 50 on its underbelly. Personally I can't shoot that way as I have to be focused on the spot I'm trying to hit.

I love the sound of this but it didn't come as naturally as I'd hoped. I'm going to keep playing with it but I may just be too hooked on holding the pin on something, which leads to me not seeing my arrow hit the target.

kicker338

WKR
Because my EZV sight is a little different than a regular pin sight, I've broke down into 3 diff. sections.

1= the 20 and 30yd. tick marks are painted gold and I hardly ever use them, just use the range finder part of the sight for aiming.

2= 40, 50, 60 tick marks are black, I use them the most and pin gap with them just like a pin sight, half way between tick marks for 5yd.gapping.

3=70 and 80yd ticks are red for practice shooting only, gap them just like pin sights. 60yds is my max. to shoot at an animal

With the tick marks colored to a 2, 3, 2 grouping and the 20 and 30yd marks not real noticeable at 40 and out yardages and the black 40, 50, and60yd marks stand out real well really helps to keep me from grabbing the wrong pin or in this case wrong tick marks

No, just in general, the more complicated ones approach the less likely they will pull it off at the moment of truth.