Shooting high at most comfortable elevation setting

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting about 6 inches high at 20 yards with my peep and housing in the most comfortable spot. This spot allows me to line them up without tilting my head forward. I can keep my neck nice and straight and not smash my nose into the string. I need to move the housing upward and this will require me to get lower on the string to look angled up through both sights. 20 yd pin is as high as possible in the housing.

What do I do? I want to remain as upright as possible.

OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
It’sm
You shouldn’t have to love the sight up more than 1/8” shouldn’t change hardly anything with your anchor
Thank you. But it’s already almost drifting up and I can’t put any more face/nose pressure on the string. New bow.

sndmn11

WKR
Then it doesn’t line up unless I tip my nose down and look more through my eyebrows if that makes sense.

No it doesn't really make sense. If your anchor is comfortable and your peep is in front of your eye it should be a fixed point in the aiming equation. The variable becomes the front sight pin. In this case you are moving the pin by moving the whole sight.

If your anchor becomes unanchored while trying to establish a 20 yard zero, then it is a not in the right spot. It is not necessary at all for your nose to touch the string, it is a bonus of a proper fitting bow. Stay upright and comfortable, raise the sight housing, and don't overcomplicate a simple process.

BDRam16

WKR
Considering it’s a new bow I’m assuming it’s a draw length or set up issue. The string SHOULD (not a total necessity) be at the corner of your mouth and the tip of your nose. If that is happening and you can’t see through your peep the peep needs to move. If you’re having to move your face to see through your peep I’m fairly confident that is the issue.

OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
It is not necessary at all for your nose to touch the string, it is a bonus of a proper fitting bow. Stay upright and comfortable, raise the sight housing, and don't overcomplicate a simple process.
Maybe the bow doesn’t fit. My peep plus serving has less than a centimeter of room to move up. And I think it’s the front sight that needs to move up anyway. Right?

sndmn11

WKR
Maybe the bow doesn’t fit. My peep plus serving has less than a centimeter of room to move up. And I think it’s the front sight that needs to move up anyway. Right?

It doesn't NEED to for in that sense, it's helpful if you wish for a three point anchor, but not necessary. If you really wanted to achieve that but the string angle is too acute to do so with a comfy anchor, you could experiment with nose buttons or kissers as a nose button.

I'm not sure what you mean by peep plus serving.

Yes, if your arrow is impacting higher than the point of aim, the front needs to go up. The front sight (pin) follows the arrow impact for all adjustments.

I'll preface this by saying you need to shoot with both eyes open....

A little trick I learned years ago and has worked well for me, is pretend the peep isnt there at all (works even better if its a brand new bow with no peep). Get your anchor perfect and shoot your bow.. get your 20 yard pin sighted in to where it needs to be.. if you want it in the middle of your sight housing, set it to the middle of your sight housing and then move your housing until you are hitting right where you need to be - and completely forgetting about your peep..

Then once you have the sight exactly where you want it, move your peep to where you are looking through it while looking at your sight. Your anchor point never changes, the peep is merely a window through your string.

If you don't use this method, you are chasing your anchor and POI back and fourth... move the peep up, and now it doesnt line up with your sight - but move it down and now you need to move your sight up to sight it in, which throws off the alignment again.

BDRam16

WKR
You should have a significant amount of adjustability in peep height prior to serving it into the string. Was this a RTH or similar type package bow that came with a peep pre-installed?

OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Then once you have the sight exactly where you want it, move your peep to where you are looking through it while looking at your sight. Your anchor point never changes, the peep is merely a window through your string.
that’s basically what I’m going for. Seeking comfort leaves me with the front sight very close to the arrow because I hold with a very low wrist almost like I’m gesturing “stop”. It also forces my palm to contact the grip lower down to keep my fingers clear from the vanes and thus lifts the bow higher.

Last edited:
OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
You should have a significant amount of adjustability in peep height prior to serving it into the string. Was this a RTH or similar type package bow that came with a peep pre-installed?
No I mean it’s almost touching the rubber speed nocks. Also see the above post about my grip.

sndmn11

WKR
Is it served in above and below your peep, can you post a picture?

Your hand position with your grip shouldn't have an effect on where the arrow impacts.
Is your bow tuned?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Perhaps your bow is too short if your peep is at the speed nocks. I'd set the sight height and then put the peep where it needs to be. You should be able to close your eyes, draw and anchor, and open your eyes and your peep be in the right spot lined up with your sight housing......every time.

BDRam16

WKR
Get a partner to help you quick…close your eyes, find your comfortable anchor, and have them mark the string with a sharpie (silver works if it’s a black string) in a perfectly level line right where your eye lines up with the string. That’s where your peep needs to be. I’m ASSUMING your peep is too high on the string based on you hitting high and it being at the speed nocks.

first, why move the housing and not just the pin? (don't know what sight you have)
here's something that I have found that gets you in the ballpark for peep height. measure distance from corner of mouth to corner of eye then multiply that by 1.9, that should be close to the distance of nock center to peep center. this method has worked for every bow I've set up as a starting point so let me know if you're far off that #. also, from bottom axle what is the measurement to center of d loop, usually you end up an inch over center of bow (axle to axle).
as for the low grip, if your bow doesn't have a low grip then you probably shouldn't shoot that way. if that's what's comfortable for you then I would look at either low wrist grips or wrapping the grip.
last question is, has the bow been tuned?

OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Get a partner to help you quick…close your eyes, find your comfortable anchor, and have them mark the string with a sharpie (silver works if it’s a black string) in a perfectly level line right where your eye lines up with the string. That’s where your peep needs to be. I’m ASSUMING your peep is too high on the string based on you hitting high and it being at the speed nocks.
I’d actually like it a millimeter or two higher so I don’t need to bend my neck as much. Let me read the rest of these responses.

OP
B

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
first, why move the housing and not just the pin? (don't know what sight you have)
here's something that I have found that gets you in the ballpark for peep height. measure distance from corner of mouth to corner of eye then multiply that by 1.9, that should be close to the distance of nock center to peep center. this method has worked for every bow I've set up as a starting point so let me know if you're far off that #. also, from bottom axle what is the measurement to center of d loop, usually you end up an inch over center of bow (axle to axle).
as for the low grip, if your bow doesn't have a low grip then you probably shouldn't shoot that way. if that's what's comfortable for you then I would look at either low wrist grips or wrapping the grip.
last question is, has the bow been tuned?
Not tuned. New string. The groups are great though so can I not worry about tuning?

those #'s I was looking for will relate to bow tuning as a possible issue among other things. you always start with proper tuning of the bow, meaning timing and nock location. that needs to be done correctly first before a peep can be installed. even if your timing is off you may still get good groups, while not common its possible. if you have a tape measure and 5 min check those #'s, I have a feeling your d loop is high or maybe a timing issue but I could be wrong. also could be your anchor location.

Last edited: