Shooting through paper for form and consistency

I have been shooting through paper for reps and consistent form. Hard to shoot outside this time of year in ND. Most of the time I get a clean bullet hole (bare shaft), but 3 out of 10 I get a slight left tear (left handed bow). Is there a good way to diagnose the flaw in my form that causes this tear? I have tried moving my grip towards my thumb and that seems to make it worse. Not super concerned about my tune right now, have a new GAS string ordered. Thanks.

65# bow, 28.5 draw, prime centergy
BE Spartan 350 153 gn up front, 28.25”

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer bare shafts versus fletched and long range BH's to paper. I've had what looked like perfect bullet holes through paper and then done some tuning adjustments, and the bullet holes look the same as they did before. So unless you're shooting through paper at multiple distances it may not tell you too much.

But as for your grip......turn the bow in your hand to the left and shoot through paper (not so much that you might derail it). Then turn the bow to the right and do the same. That will at least tell you what happens when your grip is one way or the other and you know what you have to work on. I've found that when I do a textbook grip there's still variations within that, that easily show up when shooting bare shafts or long range BH's. So now I just tune to a grip that I can replicate in any situation......calm, level, heart racing, the steeps, leaning around a tree, etc, etc. And that seems to keep my BH's consistently on target at every distance.

Could be something other than your grip. Need to make sure your left elbow is going back to the same spot. That can change a lot with your release and it causes left/right flyers. Changes in face pressure, need to remember that it's not much weight on the string at full draw, it's kinda a noodle. Very slight pressure differences can alter things.

OP
S
Thanks for the help. Ya once I can get outside I basically just BH tune at 40-80, after 3 months or tinkering inside with paper, mostly just something to do.

OP
S
Thanks for the help. Ya once I can get outside I basically just BH tune at 40-80, after 3 months or tinkering inside with paper, mostly just something to do.
Could be something other than your grip. Need to make sure your left elbow is going back to the same spot. That can change a lot with your release and it causes left/right flyers. Changes in face pressure, need to remember that it's not much weight on the string at full draw, it's kinda a noodle. Very slight pressure differences can alter things.
Back elbow could be it. I have been trying to get my wrist fully extended so that my forearm can relax on release arm. I think the variation in that from having a tighter release hand and not letting the wrist fully extend could be the difference. Thanks for the insight.

Beendare

WKR
Like 5 miles...I prefer bare shaft and long range.

Indoors: you might want to try videoing your shot. I think the best angle is above and slightly behind you.

It helps to call the shott for the video...in other words...when you make a good shot call it...or a bad shot Left...call that too and you can sometimes self diagnose what you are doing right/wrong on each shot.

FWIW, Jake Kaminsky is offering a video coaching thing now....all of Jakes vids are excellent though a stickbow guy he might do it. The principles are the same.

Back elbow could be it. I have been trying to get my wrist fully extended so that my forearm can relax on release arm. I think the variation in that from having a tighter release hand and not letting the wrist fully extend could be the difference. Thanks for the insight.

How far can you shoot inside? If inside of ten yards setup a target and just try to keep putting the arrow back in the same hole.

Also for good practice they make a half size 5 spot you can use. It's something to do.

OR Archer

WKR
Are you shooting multiple arrows through paper or just one? If it’s multiple are you numbering your shafts to see if it’s the same arrow each time or different shafts?

I second the recommendation @OR Archer made. If you find that a particular arrow is a repeat offender, twist its nock (120° if you're shooting 3-fletch or 90° for 4-fletch) and try again. Nock indexing can sometimes clear up minor tears caused by spine inconsistency.

OP
S
How far can you shoot inside? If inside of ten yards setup a target and just try to keep putting the arrow back in the same hole.

Also for good practice they make a half size 5 spot you can use. It's something to do.

15 yards.

Powerman

FNG
Ummm, it has been crazy nice up here this winter, get outside! on the bright side there are going to be a bunch of 3D events coming up for the next 3 months if you are looking for something to do.

15 yards.

If you can shoot 15 yards I'd be shooting indoor targets. Either a standard NFAA 5 spot, or try a "Vegas" FITA 3 spot or the reduced sizes I posted earlier. It might or might not be fun for you, but it's a good way to boost your shooting and if you score it you can track progress or see the benefits of changes that you make.

OP
S
If you can shoot 15 yards I'd be shooting indoor targets. Either a standard NFAA 5 spot, or try a "Vegas" FITA 3 spot or the reduced sizes I posted earlier. It might or might not be fun for you, but it's a good way to boost your shooting and if you score it you can track progress or see the benefits of changes that you make.
That’s a good idea. I usually blank bale for about a month and then do shoot some targets but never really keep score.