Shooting Tripod for glassing?

Hey guys, Midwest hunter here that is headed west this October for the first time. As far as gear goes, I am trying to limit my purchases as I am having to buy quite a bit. I am planning on spending a lot of time glassing on this trip and I really like the idea of putting my binoculars on a tripod. I was also looking at bringing shooting sticks or something to help with stabilizing when the shot comes. My questions is, is it possible to use a shooting tripod for glassing? If so how stable is it and what are the disadvantages if any? Thanks guys

laneofsteel

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking into the same thing. What I've found is some shooting tripods have a removable yoke, exposing an optics mounting screw. They also sell adapters to mount binoculars to this mounting screw. Check these out...

Vanguard Quest T62U
BOG-POD CLD-3 Shooting Camo Tall Tripod

MrE4853

FNG
You can put a V rest on any tripod or run the triclawps. I run a vortex summit ss-p with vortex bino adapter for my 10x42’s. It’s light but gets the job done. I have a universal V that I mounted on a quick disconnect plate. I would be comfortable with it out to 300 yards or so but beyond that would stuff my pack or something under the butt of the rifle. I think a heavier tripod would be needed to effectively run the triclawps.

Austink47

WKR
I would say shoot off a glassing tripod, don’t glass off a shooting tripod. You will need a good glassing set up you might need a good shooting rig. 90% of the time your pack is all you need to make a good shot.

J Batt

WKR
Where I hunt its super steep, and thick undergrowth. The only places with any field of view are on slopes. So going prone is usually not possible. I shoot from sitting position using my optics tripod, and this season added cheap wooden shooting sticks to support the buttstock. It's as stable as prone with bipod and a rear bag, but I can see over vegetation and shoot from awkward angles much easier. If you practice setting up it doesn't take much longer than any other stable platform.
I used a V yoke at first but its actually faster if you screw an adapter plate to your rifle forend. Less stuff to juggle with, and if you need to move it only takes one hand to pick everything up.

Last edited: