Short-Term Memory Loss "Solutions?"

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys,

I'll be 64 y/o in a few weeks, exercise regularly, have a pretty clean diet, and will retire in a year. I have a lot of hobbies, including reading, so I keep my mind busy. But like most of my peers that I know in my age group, my short-term memory has declined over the last several years. You know, the "why did I come into this room" or "what was I going to look for in this drawer" type of thing. It's so frustrating and I'm a guy that likes to look for solutions and deal with things head on, not just ignore them and hope they'll go away. I don't believe (at least at this point) that I am pre-Alzheimers or anything like that, it's likely just age-related memory loss.

That said, have any of you all done anything or take anything such as a supplement, which you feel has truly worked? I see ads for Prevagen but I've researched it a bit and of course, doctors say it doesn't work. But I'd be open to trying something if I knew it had worked for others.

Thoughts?

Fowl Play

WKR
I am pre-disposed for alzheimers in my family although not near the age to worry about it yet. But my uncle who is near your age has spoken to many different well respected doctors on the matter. All of them have recommended him to take up some sort of competitive sport. He needs exercise as well so they recommended him to take up pickle ball since there's many leagues near him. But chess or other games as well would do. Anything to put your brain in a scenario where it has to constantly and rapidly problem solve against an opponent. I am not a doctor, but apparently there are many studies on this and competitive "sports" are very good ways to keep your brain young.

Maki35

WKR
I've heard playing sudoku (game) or crossword puzzles is good for that. It helps boost mental abilities.

atmat

WKR
Unfortunately, there’s no “solution” to age-related memory loss. It’s just part of living and getting older, same as with muscular atrophy, vision loss, hearing loss, etc.

That said, aerobic exercise and mental stimulation (I.e., puzzles, problem solving, etc.) are two lifestyle habits you can implement to help slow the decline.

*zap*

WKR
"I have a pretty clean diet"......no more info offered.

^Could be anything.
Your diet may play a huge part in mental clarity as we age. When you say 'I have a pretty clean diet' it appears you do not consider that your diet may be the problem or a big part of it. Thus you limit your possible solutions.

^Pretty much the same thing as "exercise regularly". Could be anything. Maybe certain fitness programs offer improved mental clarity.

dtrkyman

WKR
There are supplements that can help, Lions Mane mushroom is known for it. ONNIT has an alpha brain supplement that is supposed to be good?

Research it, as I have no personal experience with either just have read and heard about it. Nie thing with natural stuff is there are rarely side effects.

Iafarmer

FNG
M D friend of mine told me that remembering names as you age is normal. When you dont remember how to get home it’s getting somewhat serious.

How's your stress level. Buddy of mine retired a few years ago and noticed about 6 months later his memory had improved. Significant reduction in stress is what he attributed it to.

CRJR45

WKR
They say the minds the second thing to go , I can't remember what the first thing is .
But my wife wrote my name in all my underwear , that helped a lot .

Here's a couple:
MagMind™ Magnesium L-Threonate
Huperzine-A
Vinpocetine
Lion's Mane
CDP-choline

I take all the above as single-ingredient supplements since when you purchase an all-in-one nootropic they tend to not have the clinical doses of the ingredients in them! So do your research for how much of each to take and try one at a time to see how your body responds.

That first one listed was studied at MIT and it works pretty good for me. Vinpocetine btw can stop some forms of vertigo as well as be good for your brain.

Lion's Mane I use the drops not the capsules and I buy Paul Stamets brand.

I work in IT on the bleeding edge so the above are my "cheat drugs"...they work for me. But you would need to research them before trying them particularly if you are on any prescription drugs or have other health issues. I've never tried the racetams although I have considered that...but the above is enough for me.

Rich M

WKR
I've got some stuff called Dynamic Brain by stonehenge health. It does make a diff. Basically a supplement/vitamin.

Not drinking, getting enough sleep, and exercise would probably help too. One of these days...

Weldor

WKR
I try to read this forum everyday, and I do forget most of it nudge nudge know what I mean. 62 years old and memory was pretty good. got the big C two years ago now alittle forgetful.