Shortage effecting your process?

Tx_300wsm

FNG
I took last year off from hunting and shooting while finishing up college and am about to get back into it. I used to do the typical load three rounds and shoot for groups. With the current shortage, along with everyone else, I’m struggling to find components. I was finally able to source enough Nosler brass for my 300wsm at a normal price to start load development. I still have a couple hundred 180gr Accubonds, pound and a half of H4831 and plenty of magnum primers. I decided to buy a Magnetospeed with the intention of doing a ladder test to hopefully cut back on how much shooting I’ll do during development. The last chrono I had was a Prochrono that met its demise after a couple misplaced shots from a .357 magnum.

Anyways, between component costs/availability, and lack of time due to having two little ones now, I’m hoping the magnetospeed will be a game changer for me.

I’m curious how the current shortage has impacted everyone else’s development process and what you’ve done to stay proficient in the last year?

Axlrod

WKR
The only problem with the Magnetospeed is it is not too good for your groups. I got rid of mine and got a Labradar. You would be better off with a different chrono like an optical that won't change your groups. I would rather know how my gun groups vs. knowing the velo. Plus you may end up shooting with and without the chrono attached- using more components.
As far as the current shortages, this is the 3rd big one I have been through, and I was only unprepared for the first one. I do feel bad for guys like you that are just trying to get rolling, and there is nothing out there. If you are a member of a gun club, ask around if anyone has any extra stuff they would sell you at reasonable prices. And when stuff becomes available stock up as much as possible.
Good luck!

2five7

WKR
Won't affect my shooting, but it will affect the few other guys I generally load for. No loads leaving the household unless they provide their own components.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
For me, in terms of working up loads I’ve stayed the exact same. 3 rounds at a time testing the big 3. Accuracy, pressure, and velocity. It has limited my curiosity, meaning I’ve been less experimental and had to resist the urge to try every bullet/powder combination I can get my hands on. We have a good stock of what we use most, loaded ammo included. We still shoot 22’s and 223’s occasionally for practice. We buy ammo and components when we find them cheap. Today at a gun show a guy had a whole case of H1000 for $50 a pound so I took one of those home. Finding components isn’t as easy as it used to be. It’s not always on the shelf to grab anymore. I still check everywhere I go and buy it when it’s there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I did a lot of experimentation several years ago and now have set loads for each of my hunting rifles. When I go to the range prior to the season, I shoot 3 shot groups. If everything is where it needs to be, I stop. I try to be efficient and I don't shoot for fun anymore.

I have enough powder, bullets and primers to last a lifetime but I am being frugal with what I have so my son can benefit from it. I am glad I don't have to worry about finding what I need or having to pay current prices. I am sure things will get better but the prices I paid will likely never return.

308ghost

FNG
For what it’s worth, I think the magneto is a great tool. There is a impact shift difference of .5 mil but that’s very repeatable and predictable. It’s always a .5 mil for me. As far as groups are concerned. It may have an effect on them. It may... they only way to tell is to shoot a group with and without to see. I bet it’s less dramatic of issue than the internet claims. At least in my experience, shooting groups at 600 yards with and without magneto has an unmeasurable effects for me. Plus for ladder tests your not shooting groups. If I was you I’d buy the magneto and the lab at a later date. Magneto speeds are super consistent and rarely miss shots. Labs are great to but a lot more dollars. Ours lab misses shots every once in a while especially suppressed and that’s frustrating when testing and that one is needed. Magneto is 100% so far. I would do a two shot ladder test. I’d probably load every .4 two at each. This gives you a second shot if needed for a wind puff or bad shot. If you don’t need the second one you can pull it later but I find shooting both help me see the node form easier. Once you get that node located, run a jump test. Start maybe max mag length or staging tips. Then adjust em back .015 or .020 and load 3 more. Do this until you get .015 or .020 shorter than coal. You can do all this with a magneto on. Once you’ve gotten all that, and your load is as good as you can get, shoot a group with the magneto on and then again with it off. I bet it changes POI mostly and little if any group size. It’s a very useful tool for 180$.
I just got done doing load work for my 300 wsm. 168 ABLR and 185 Berger classic hunters are both great performers out of my tikka. Cheers!

JLW66

FNG
I have a moose hunt now that the border looks like its opening up, so like alot of you, I decided to work on some things that i normally dont. I loaded up some 30.06 for the brother in law with 180s and Superperformance. i havent had much luck with it in the past, but whatever i did this time worked. My tikka 300 WSM likes it also, so i found that the 3lbs i had started to go fast and like everyone one else, the Accubonds are hard to find, which makes a guy look at other components which means using more powder to find the load and on and on... Good luck this fall and good luck with your search for components.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a rail parallel to your barrel you can run the Magneto from it so you're not changing the POI.