6.5 CM -- Starting over, bullet selection

The thread @PNWGATOR linked is the largest collection. The 6.5/260 thread also has some. For some reason I can't link to it off my phone right now.
Gotchu bro

woods89

WKR

Unckebob

WKR
So are you really going to indict a bullet you have no experience with?

There's a rather large body of evidence on this site showing that TMK are one of the best killing bullets on the market. Some of that evidence is mine. I'll trust my own experiences and those of individuals I trust way further than any warning on the side of a bullet box.

I trust trained scientists and engineers paid to make the best hunting bullets they can vs anecdotal evidence from low sample size hunters.

gethuntin

WKR
Thank you, sir!
Gotchu bro

Forogt about that thread. OOOfta thats alot of reading material.

fwafwow

WKR
I trust trained scientists and engineers paid to make the best hunting bullets they can vs anecdotal evidence from low sample size hunters.
Do they test those bullets by hunting with them? Have you read the thread?

Yes they do. Just listen to the Hornady podcast.
How many animals did they test it on?

Do they pay attention to wound channels?

How about distance travelled from shot?

There's quite the body of evidence in these threads suggesting that match bullets kill very effectively

Unckebob

WKR
You trust the scientists a lot more than me!
How many animals did they test it on?

Do they pay attention to wound channels?

How about distance travelled from shot?

There's quite the body of evidence in these threads suggesting that match bullets kill very effectively

Yes. I trust scientists and engineers with test equipment over untrained people, I am definitely down with that.

I doubt they considered wound channels created by their hunting bullets or the distance the bullet travels before they hit the the animal. They just decided to make their hunting bullets more robust because ????

Bottom line, they only make money if people buy their bullets.
- If their bullets fail, people will switch to another brand.
- Hornady will not bet their reputation on the ELD-M as a hunting bullet. That is a simple fact.
- Sierra will not bet their reputation on their match bullets. That is a simple fact.

Will a Match bullet work fine most of the time? Probably.
Does that make a Match bullet the best choice for the vast majority of hunters? No.

That is my take and I am sticking to it. No trolling.

woods89

WKR
Yes. I trust scientists and engineers with test equipment over untrained people, I am definitely down with that.

I doubt they considered wound channels created by their hunting bullets or the distance the bullet travels before they hit the the animal. They just decided to make their hunting bullets more robust because ????

- Hornady will not bet their reputation on the ELD-M as a hunting bullet. That is a simple fact.
- Sierra will not bet their reputation on their match bullets. That is a simple fact.

Does that make a Match bullet the best choice for the vast majority of hunters? No.

Well...... we probably aren't going to change each other's minds.

Good luck out there this year.

TMK, ELDX, and ELDM are the most common bullets with 6.5 CM or so it seems.
Anyone use bonded with high-weight retention (Terminal Ascent) or all copper bullets with their 6.5 CM or does it need highly fragmenting bullets to perform well?

I don't own a 6.5 CM so honest inquiry.

Thanks

amassi

WKR
Anyone use bonded with high-weight retention (Terminal Ascent) or all copper bullets with their 6.5 CM or does it need highly fragmenting bullets to perform well?

Thanks

Before I saw the light I used Accubonds, scirocco II, and Lrx and was unimpressed. The 127 was functional but far from ideal

Tipped match bullets and the 130 Berger really just shine In this cartridge.

One outlier although not bonded- the 125 partition is an empressive wounding bullet from the cm out to about 375 yards when started at 2975. But it also doesn’t retain much weight at those ranges

Thanks
Due to the relatively low velocity and smaller caliber of the 6.5 cm a bonded or mono bullet is going to create a pretty narrow and long wound channel more like a broadhead. By using a softer bullet that allows for more fragmentation a larger wound is created leading to quicker kills. A lot of people get hung up on the term “match bullet”. Don’t think of them as match bullets think of them as cup and core fragmenting bullets just like a federal power shok or Winchester power point.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Engineers….

Appreciate them.

#trustthescience

ZERO chance!

I’ll come to objective conclusions, period.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
Absolutely correct.

So they market to have shooters buy one bullet for hunting, and one for targets. If they come out and say "hey, actually our tipped target bullet line is the best killing bullet on the market" well that grenades their sales of "hunting bullets" and bottom line.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely correct.

So they market to have shooters buy one bullet for hunting, and one for targets. If they come out and say "hey, actually our tipped target bullet line is the best killing bullet on the market" well that grenades their sales of "hunting bullets" and bottom line.
And when the public comes out and says it they reply that the tip melts and bullet disintegrates and the discontinue the line and come out with two new lines. From that day foreword I acknowledged that Hornady has a brilliant marketing team

JGRaider

WKR
I subscribe to the theory that my own testing and experiences rule. I'm lucky in that a couple of buddies have MLD ground in TX and I get to cull whitetail does (72 over the last 3 years) and all the hogs I want (dozens upon dozens). I've killed them with my 6.5CM's with 139 Scenar, 130 AB, 120 BT, 120 TTSX, 130ELDM, and probably another or two I've forgotten. At 6.5CM speeds its hard to find a bullet that doesn't kill very well.
I also guided about 160 hunters over a 15 year period, and have come to the conclusion that high BC's, wound channels, etc, etc make for somewhat interesting conversations, but they are way overrated in hunting scenarios. 95% of big game animals are killed under 300 yards.

No matter the cartridge, I've found accubonds, partitions, and Nosler BT's are never a bad choice.