Shot bull. Having a hard time finding him.

I read the whole thing, now I got see how this turns out. Pulling for you OP. I shot my first bull slightly quartering to me and barely clipped both lungs. That bull went a little over 400 yards, didn't bleed much and took me a while to find. Hoping you find yours.

Ucsdryder

WKR
No turkey buzzards that far north?
I’ve never seen one on an animal in Colorado. The robber jays were on an archery elk within 45 minutes this year. The crows were squawking within a couple of hours. I’m not sure if they found it so quickly because I was there though. I was shocked. Side note, robber jays love the fat on elk quarters.

KenLee

WKR
I’ve never seen one on an animal in Colorado. The robber jays were on an archery elk within 45 minutes this year. The crows were squawking within a couple of hours. I’m not sure if they found it so quickly because I was there though. I was shocked. Side note, robber jays love the fat on elk quarters.
Circling buzzards were the tell tell sign in the south...till there got to be so many coyotes that clean a carcass before buzzards can find them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Had camp robbers on about 3, I’d say 5-10 min after I had my bull down. It’s amazing how fast those little fellas get on carrion and they are pretty bold

wytx

WKR
Ravens will be on it, not crows or buzzrds. Listen for them, they make lots of noise when feeding or calling in other birds to the carcass.
Jays also will be on it but the ravens make the most noise.
Get higher up or just walk drainages and listen or watch for many birds flying to one area.
If blood trail was going downhill, good chance it's dead somewhere, uphill he may still be walking.

I applaud you for wanting to find that bull and not hunting another one.

It's probably all semantics, but I agree. I think more than likely when it is a high lung hit you get so little of the lung elk either don't die or go really far and die much later. There is definitely a spot high in the chest cavity though that doesn't result in a dead elk. I have seen that hit many times with a rifle and watched elk run forever.

Ravens will be on it, not crows or buzzrds. Listen for them, they make lots of noise when feeding or calling in other birds to the carcass.
Get higher up or just walk drainages and listen or watch for many birds flying to one area.
If blood trail was going downhill, good chance it's dead somewhere, uphill he may still be walking.

I hit a bull pretty high a few years back. Only found blood where he had passed by brush that would rub on the side of his body, I assume he mostly bled internally. I searched for 2 days, and couldn’t find him. When I did a week later, a tree full of ravens told me where he died, exactly 1 mile from where I shot him. You can see the entry/exit wound in the photo below.

Keep at it OP, I know the conundrum you’re going through and I felt better that I punched my tag and kept looking for my bull, even though my freezer was still empty after I found him.

IMG_0659.jpeg

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR

Raven, crow. What’s the difference. They’re both giant black birds that squawk! 😜

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hit a bull pretty high a few years back. Only found blood where he had passed by brush that would rub on the side of his body, I assume he mostly bled internally. I searched for 2 days, and couldn’t find him. When I did a week later, a tree full of ravens told me where he died, exactly 1 mile from where I shot him. You can see the entry/exit wound in the photo below.

Keep at it OP, I know the conundrum you’re going through and I felt better that I punched my tag and kept looking for my bull, even though my freezer was still empty after I found him.

View attachment 602860
Those 2 holes look like they’re through the back straps.

Let see the rack on that thing. Looks cool

Guer42

FNG
2.5 " hi over the perfect double lung is a dead bull very quickly. im guessing the shot angle or placement isnt ideal. the higher the hit the longer the bull will be able to run , and the less it'll bleed till it fills up . most hi hits ive seen the bulls went 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile as the crow flies. up an down no problem. best advice is to follow tracks and rocks of a running elk. good luck.

Badass bull. Crazy he died from that. I wonder if it hit an artery? Infection?
Must have hit an artery. He had to have died that night, because we were all over that area searching the next two days. I was back in the area 5 days after I shot him, he was one finger ridge over from where I had stopped the search. Stunk like holy hell. When we got within 100 yards of his body we could smell him.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Final update as the sun sets on me on this hillside I will not physically knock this tag yet, I plan on coming out here to look for this bull alive or dead a few more times before the season ends. I WILL not take another bull except this one assuming he’s walking, I find him dead the tag is notched obviously. While the tag isn’t physically notched it is to me for this bull. until I run out of season or find him I will continue to look. Morally I owe it to this bull to continue to hunt him. I will refuse to take another bull had one on me this evening at 25 yards and didn’t even think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you. If I was closer, I would come help you look and buy you a beer.

Randy

Stay after it, I feel your pain. Two years ago I hit a bull bad from a "too close" shot mess up, first 100yds awesome blood then nothing. found him next day 1000 yds uphill from last blood, by bumping a coyote off him at sunrise. Good luck.

View attachment 602860

Impressive! Not the bull (awesome bull btw) but your attitude and commitment to finding it. So many people would have given up after an hour or two and kept hunting. Such a bummer that you didn't get any meat -the real trophy of any elk hunt- but at least you found it.