shot density between 2 shotguns and brand shotshells

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I got the duck hunting bug and compared a Remington 870 with Carlson Mid range choke and a Masai mara with factory modified choke. I was surprised at the difference between the two shotguns as well as variation with different brand shotshells. Yes, I know its not scientific or statistical but I believe it shows the marketing for the MM may be right. They advertise 20 % more pellets on target.

40 yards, one shot from a bag rest. Number of pellets within a 30 in circle, I estimated the center of the shot pattern

Wicked wings 3 in # 2 shot
Remington 870 had 99 pellets
Masai mara had 130

Winchester Super X 3 in # 2 shot
Remington 870 had 77 pellets
Masai mara had 92 pellets

BOSS 2 3/4 in # 5 shot ( I had to see what the hype was about)
Remington 870 had 136. ( I also used a full choke as recommended by the BOSS manufacturer and had 149 pellets)
Masai mara had 138 with the modified choke and 172 with the factory full choke.

dtrkyman

WKR
Always good to try loads on paper, I have had a few surprises over the years for sure! Is that Retay over/back bored?

Impressive how it out performed the 870 with every load!

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Per the Retay website, the barrel is deep forged which they say is better than hammer forged, and the forcing cone has been lengthened over standard at the factory

dtrkyman

WKR
Yeah, I went to their site and checked it out. Tempting as i have been looking into a new 20ga for waterfowl.

49ereric

WKR
IC choke if I use the Mossy 835
mostly use the Stevens 311 12 gauge double mod and full
patterned them all years ago and the double does well with #3’s and smaller.
835 shoots up to BB’s well with the overbore barrel.
I try to keep shot close or I shoot poorly.

Rich M

WKR
I just wonder about the overall constriction - can you grab a micrometer and measure the inside of the two chokes in question? Willing to bet that the tighter shooting one is tighter.

49ereric

WKR
I just wonder about the overall constriction - can you grab a micrometer and measure the inside of the two chokes in question? Willing to bet that the tighter shooting one is tighter.
Steel shot patterns the opposite of lead. More open choke is better and the Mossberg overbore barrel better yet. IMO.

Rich M

WKR
Steel shot patterns the opposite of lead. More open choke is better and the Mossberg overbore barrel better yet. IMO.
Im running an 870 and we pattern it a lot cause my dad has nothing better to do than load shotshells. He’s got 1600 fps loads but we typically shoot 1400-1450 fps.

Certain chokes seem to work best with diff loads. IMO it is all based on what you have and what you use. My fav are the liads he does we green remington hulls, some duck killers there.

49ereric

WKR
Im running an 870 and we pattern it a lot cause my dad has nothing better to do than load shotshells. He’s got 1600 fps loads but we typically shoot 1400-1450 fps.

Certain chokes seem to work best with diff loads. IMO it is all based on what you have and what you use. My fav are the liads he does we green remington hulls, some duck killers there.
I load as well but not for years now as our local duck population has plummeted and I have enough shells loaded for my life the way duck numbers look. 😢
1450 fps seems to be the sweet spot for most.
7/8oz load #4’s in a 2 3/4” hull 1450 fps over decoys with either of my shotguns 👍👍

Rich M

WKR
I load as well but not for years now as our local duck population has plummeted and I have enough shells loaded for my life the way duck numbers look. 😢
1450 fps seems to be the sweet spot for most.
7/8oz load #4’s in a 2 3/4” hull 1450 fps over decoys with either of my shotguns 👍👍
We have the same issues. More hunters and less birds.

Sounds like a sweet load. Love decoying birds. We’re shooting 1 oz #2s. I like 4s too.