Should I learn to call for late October Idaho Elk Hunt?

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my first elk hunt this fall in the late October rifle season in Idaho. Never hunted big game before and never used big game calls before. Is it worthwhile to learn to call since I'll be hunting post-rut? What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Remington

Not needed to know how to call but that doesn’t mean that you won’t hear bulls and cows talking that time of year. It’s great to help locate them by hearing them bugle and being able to slip in and shoot them. I’ve heard bulls bugling as late as October 27th before.

As a new elk hunter there will probably come a day when you want to hunt during the rut, so I’d recommend starting to learn calling now. It takes time. Plus, the bull elk are likely still going to be somewhat vocal that time a year, and especially so if there’s a cow that’s not bred yet, which is a possibility. May not rely on it in the same way you would in September, but it’s another tool in the tool box. I’d recommend the ElkNut mobile app as a great starting point for learning to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry about calling that time of year. You may hear an occasional bull sounding off which you could use to your advantage.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Learn and practice and yes on a slow day in late October crack off a bugle and rake a tree you never know when a bull may answer or come to investigate.....some of my best days bugling were in late October during the third estrus both these bulls were screaming and chasing....last year on 10/24 last day idaho otc hunt I got two bulls to answer and I went too fast and one came to quick and me too eager and he got my wind as he circled behind me also on my watershed hunt I bugled this bull in twice and a loose scope cost me another head mount as I recall it as 10/23 and he was tending 20 cowsE953AA2C-0E8D-48F1-9339-27B5A81F4320.jpeg60B5DFA2-ECB9-4905-B90E-C6E7C2110690.jpeg09F16D20-8316-44AA-B376-92A8663039A8.png

ShakeDown

WKR
Elk talk year around, that does not mean they will talk to YOU year round. I would say definitely learn and practice but be judicious in your use of vocalizations.

A few well placed cow calls can stop a bull and give you a window.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Heck ya you need to learn. As others have stated, you may find a love-sick bull in October and it’s almost a given that you’ll be back again.
Besides, it’s fun and drives the wife and dog crazy!

ElkNut1

WKR
Calling to elk the first 15-20 days of Oct can be very productive, in some areas this can carry over to the end of Oct as well. Many hunters will say they do not hear a lot of bugling at this phase so they assume elk aren't talking much, this same thing can happen anytime in Sept. If you want elk talking you need to call to them in many instances, this can produce a response & in your case you are trying to locate elk not call them to you as a rifle hunter. Using both a good far reaching Location Bugle & at times a Lip Bawl Bugle can trigger a response, this bugle sound generally is used when a bull has a hot cow in his midst thus provoking a response from a real bull showing excitement or interest. Either of these bugle tones can also be used at night or an hour to hour & a half before daylight to locate bulls close by or over a mile away on those quiet nights. -- Approach located elk with bugling at this time like you would if you were glassing elk, you are trying to locate elk through glassing, not call them to you! -- I would employ both methods to up my odds as well as putting distance between myself & other hunters especially when bugling!

Cow calling can produce results but are not as far reaching so using them in or near feeding & bedding areas when elk are there, this means being in the right area for that time of day will be needed for any real world success. As you move through the timber giving 2 different cow mews & low whines representing 2 different cows include a couple low keyed bull sounds such as moans/groans & light panting that is directed right at these two cows you are representing, it's like you are only talking to them so tone it down & be realistic, every 75 yds stop & start raking & light foot stomping as you display for these 2 cows, continue moving on covering ground until elk are located vocally or you find a real nice spot to setup knowing elk are very close by because of lots of fresh sign, at times bulls will slip into you silently or bugle to these cows. A setup means you would stay in this one area for 15-20 minutes before moving on.

The reason this type of calling can be productive is you are giving off the vibe that you are with a cow that's in or nearing estrus by your bull sounds, you are showing a sense of excitement in your sounds & tones of use along with the light raking. Bulls know by smell if a cow has been covered & taken or if a cow hasn't been! This is what can incite a bugle from a bull within earshot or a silent approach, they just have to check these elk out.

Bottom line, have a bugle & two different cow calls so that you are prepared for whatever situation may arise. Don't forget too the power of glassing & spotting elk at great distances, this can lead to Spot & Stalk opportunities where open country is prevalent, the key is finding huntable elk! Employ both techniques Glassing & Calling as needed for best results!

ElkNut/Paul

Wassid82

WKR
Cow calls will likely be more useful than bugles at that time of year I always hunt post rut in Idaho and it’s been beneficial.

I just learned to call this year, and as bad as the calls are, the elk respond. Calling is a year round thing. My advice, learn to call with a diaphragm. Not sure if it's too late for you now, but learn with what you want to be good with, not what is easy at first. The diaphragm is great...I keep it in my mouth and do a wandering cow thing now that the rut is dying down. I was able to do some hands free calling when the bulls got close during archery.

Most bulls come in silent, so calls may not seem like they are working when you're not getting a response, but they are.

jdeanwvu

FNG
An external reed cow call would probably do the trick. Just practice on the drive to where you are hunting. They are pretty fool proof.

Can I piggy back a question on this thread? How about cow calling to mask movements? Let's say you're heading into your glassing spot and crack a log pretty loud, any use in blowing a quick cow call so as to seem like a cow made the noise?

ElkNut1

WKR
If heading into a glassing spot & you snap a branch it most likely isn't going to make any difference to call. Would it hurt to give a soft mew, of course not but you're heading to a glassing spot for a reason & there probably aren't any elk within hearing distance. Too, elk are a noisy critter when in their routine & a snap here or there generally will not alarm them like on a Deer hunt. All in all it wouldn't hurt to cow call but not mandatory especially on a rifle hunt!

ElkNut/Paul

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Great input from Elknut1....I bought his materials years ago on learning elk vocabulary, its a game changer.

Loco4dux

WKR
In my limited experience if it were me I would learn to call. Great Input from the experts above.

Yeah, start calling in late October so you can spook the elk. Pretty soon it’ll be the trumpet squad in October also. You could use with light cow calling as you move through timber but I’d be judicious with it.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second using the Elknut app to learn to call. When I learned to call I used a variety of sources, but I learned the most from the ElkNut app. I think it’s all you need until you are proficient making a variety of cow and bull sounds. At that point you can listen to a variety of elk callers and strategies on podcasts and YouTube to get different strategy perspectives or slightly different sounds.