Elk Calling Practice

WyoKimber

FNG
I grew up hunting OTC rifle in Colorado and with the season being so late, and the amount of pressure, I never used any calls. The most I ever did was use a hoochie mama to stop elk for a shot. I'm a wyoming resident now and with many of the general units opening around the heart of the rut, I guess it's finally time to learn to call. Whats the best way to start practicing and what calls should I pick up since my hoochie mama ain't going to cut it?

UncleBone

WKR
Elknut App membership for sure. I had trouble with phelps calls at first, was able to call with a native rip it frame right out of the package. After practicing with that for a week, I was able to work my way into the phelps. Everyones mouth is different, much like feet. Youll have to bite the bullet on a few different calls though to figure out what works for you.

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Elknut App membership for sure. I had trouble with phelps calls at first, was able to call with a native rip it frame right out of the package. After practicing with that for a week, I was able to work my way into the phelps. Everyones mouth is different, much like feet. Youll have to bite the bullet on a few different calls though to figure out what works for you.
Great advice

I didn't actually call for years. Practiced but never did it. Then once I started, I began to have success in getting them to respond and to come in closer. It was a game changer. I have more fun calling than anything. Get a set of electronic ear muffs and practice in the truck when your driving. Wives tend to be greatly irritated by the assorted sounds of elk . High piercing bugles will certainly damage your hearing in a garage or in a truck, LOL! The neighborhood dogs respond very well! Neighbors not so much! :ROFLMAO:

Get a variety of diaphragm calls. You will find one or two will fit your mouth better and make better sounds for you. Try to find them on sale. Lots of videos on your tube to help you with technique. Elk Nut (Paul) has great stuff. Play back videos where you can hear bulls in the distance responding to the hunter calls and I try to emulate the sounds those bulls make. Have fun with it.

4rcgoat

WKR
I got a neighbor somewhere close by that will sound off once in a while before the season......it's fun to bugle back and forth occasionally, good kicks.
Can't say it's the best way to learn but it sure is fun after a couple cold ones!🍻

Yep definitely look and listen to Pauls stuff. Sounds by the Elk was a "game changer" for me. We dont have to make all the sounds elk make obviously, but the more sounds we master, the marrier, as long as we make them at the right times and from the right locations. Elknut has a bunch of material that sheds light on that too! Paul, if you're listening, you are a valuable resource and happy i found you and your material back in 2008 i think it was. You rock man! And partially responsible for the elk I've laid to rest with my bow and arrows and helped others put in their freezers with their bows and muzzleloaders.

UncleBone

WKR
I tried watching several other videos, but elknut app was the only one that really explains each sound how and when to use it, and lets you record and compare your call to theirs, and a real elks sound as well. Between Paul and Marc Carlton, I am learning to call decently I think, amd cannot wait to put it to use this fall.

Dcronce

FNG
I grew up hunting OTC rifle in Colorado and with the season being so late, and the amount of pressure, I never used any calls. The most I ever did was use a hoochie mama to stop elk for a shot. I'm a wyoming resident now and with many of the general units opening around the heart of the rut, I guess it's finally time to learn to call. Whats the best way to start practicing and what calls should I pick up since my hoochie mama ain't going to cut it?
I’m new to calling too and am watching YouTube videos for help. I had to try several diaphragms to find one that works for my mouth.

UncleBone

WKR
I’m new to calling too and am watching YouTube videos for help. I had to try several diaphragms to find one that works for my mouth.
Check out the Elknut app, its gotta be the cheapest membership out of any of them, and probably the most helpful. Paul has to love all the free advertising he gets. I havent even tried to call in an elk yet, but I am feeling pretty confident I will this ML season. Last year was my first time elk hunting ever, and through e scouting only, I found elk bedding and feeding areas, and more elk crap and rubs than I ever imagined possible, Just didn't get into elk. I blame that on a few things, namely trying to hunt them like white tail, and not being prepared enough to hunt as hard as I could. 3rd rifle season, I escouted and was able to find a decent area with less people, and even got within a couple hundred yards of several cows me and my buddy glassed up from almost 2 miles away. Unfortunately they were on public behind an 80 yard stretch of private, with no access other than hiking 3 or 4 miles over deadfall, and they were on the move. This year, I am jumping in head first with a ML tag and I am gonna bugle some elk in!

ElkNut1

WKR
UncleBone, thank you sir! Word of mouth type feedback is awesome! No doubt the word is spread by actual users other than social media hype! Lots of hunters recommend this App & I do appreciate them all. It has a lot to offer for sure to the new or experienced elk hunter, thanks again!

ElkNut

UncleBone

WKR
UncleBone, thank you sir! Word of mouth type feedback is awesome! No doubt the word is spread by actual users other than social media hype! Lots of hunters recommend this App & I do appreciate them all. It has a lot to offer for sure to the new or experienced elk hunter, thanks again!

ElkNut
Any time man, I am all for supporting small businesses, and especially ones that will help me kill elk. I hope by october I am on here telling everyone I used the knowledge I gained from it to be successful.

MudFlood

FNG
To echo what's been said, the ElkNut app is awesome. Between videos and audio you get a great idea of the sound you should be replicating. I also keep a call (and bugle) in my truck. Kind of fun to eeeeek one out at the neighbors when you're driving by (under the right circumstance, of course). Also, don't be afraid to trim down your reed with a pair of scissors. Cutting these to fit your pallet can make a huge difference.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I started using diaphragm calls back in the 70's and was obsessed with calling turkeys and the transition to calling elk for me was fairly easy. I think learning to chuckle takes the most practice. I like Phelps and Carlton Ripit calls. I keep a one mile trail mowed around the house and try to walk that every evening with my pack on and practice calling as I walk. I'm not much for using apps and don't listen to podcasts, but will watch some youtube videos of elk calling and mimic their sounds.