Shrunken scarpas

brushape

WKR
My much beloved scarpa kinesis pro boots I’ve owned since 2017 have treated me amazing with zero leaks and show very little wear for how much I’ve warn them. I recently went to put them on for the first time in a couple months and the inside of the toe has shrunken up into a v shape pointing down towards the toe box so much so that you can’t get your hand past it. Has anyone experienced this with a leather boot and is there anyway of saving them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR
I've experienced this 2 times with Kinesis. The first time was with a pair that was a few years old, since they were out of I tried boot stretchers and a few other things but nothing worked.

The second time was with a pair that was a few months old, so I reached out to Scarpa and they just sent me a new pair.

I wear mine daily, they're some of my favorite boots, but I think that this is a common problem. The last pair I got was in 2022. They're holding up so far, but I'm looking for something different in the future.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
I've experienced this 2 times with Kinesis. The first time was with a pair that was a few years old, since they were out of I tried boot stretchers and a few other things but nothing worked.

The second time was with a pair that was a few months old, so I reached out to Scarpa and they just sent me a new pair.

I wear mine daily, they're some of my favorite boots, but I think that this is a common problem. The last pair I got was in 2022. They're holding up so far, but I'm looking for something different in the future.

Right on thanks ya I love these boots, I have them soaking in a bucket of water right now seeing if that will soften them up

nickstone

WKR
I tried that, along with putting bags of water into the toes and positioning them so they would expand in the freezer with no luck. Good luck, hope your able to find a solution.

Mine felt like there was something between the leather and fabric inside that detached both times. I think the rubber rand also makes it harder to put back into place

I have seen Kenetrek fire boots do that. They have a thin plastic counter between the liner and leather. Too much heat seems to make them buckle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Celastic is used in some PNW boots as a toe stiffener, is a wettable material that molds to the contours of the adjacent leather. Don’t know if other bootmakers use this material

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Bit the bullet and bought a second pair let’s see if they treat me as well as the last

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
My Kinesis Pro GtX have done the same. It's like they shrunk a whole size. My feet are the same, other shoes all fit fine still. It's too bad, the boots are great.

dtrkyman

WKR
I tried the baggies of water and it didn't work, then I just filled the boots with water and froze them, worked quite well.

Also surprisingly alcohol is supposed to relax leather. Mixed with water.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve currently been using the Kinesis Pro for the last two years, and love them.
For the guys that have had them shrink, do you put them next to a heat source to dry or anything else that you know is causing them to shrink?

I figured it's just a product of leather. I've had Simms wading boots shrink over time. Also a pair of Asolo's. It's par for the course, to me. Usually only happens after many years of happy use.

S.Clancy

WKR
I had that happen with a different pair of Scarpa boots. I wetted them down really well and then put forms in. They are fine now.