Sig Cross Goals

jreyna

FNG
I have hopes one day of converting my Sig Cross 6.5 creed into a 7 saum. I know that it would require a magnum bolt head (non existent at the moment) and a 7 saum barrel and also come with bullet selection limitations, but still seems like a very handy setup if I can bring it into existence.

While I know there are a few companies out there making aftermarket barrels for the Sig Cross, has anyone heard of anyone venturing into the short action magnum realm and possibly producing magnum bolt heads for the Sig Cross?

I'd love me a sig cross with a 20" carbon fiber 7 saum barrel and suppressor for long range elk. With the folding stock it'd make a nice, lightweight, compact hunting rifle with all the adjustability I'd ever need.

What are your thoughts? Heard of such bolt heads out there? Do you have bigger plans for your Sig Cross than the current short action offerings?

z987k

WKR
No I don't think they have any plans of making any of that factory. Idk if a smith could open up the bolt face for you?
You probably be money ahead to just build a semi custom on something like an xlr or mdt chasis with the barrelled action of your choice.

I think they mentioned making a long action version at shot show and possibly a magnum, but I don't know if they will be backwards compatible.

AkRyan

WKR
No I don't think they have any plans of making any of that factory. Idk if a smith could open up the bolt face for you?
You probably be money ahead to just build a semi custom on something like an xlr or mdt chasis with the barrelled action of your choice.
I think they have plans to make all of this available.

fatbacks

WKR
Seems like it might be easier to just get a chassis, action and barrel that are all purpose build for short action magnums

I have both MDT chassis and a sig cross. Have to say I like the MDT way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Then what will there long action be for???
I could be wrong, but I remember seeing a video of them saying that. I think someone was talking about a wsm or something. I think it was just in relation to the bolt face.
The same bolt face for the 308 is the -06 and such, so I'd imagine it's a parts count/machine time or something.

Last edited:

tann435

FNG
Have you look into a 260 AI in the cross platform? I am entertaining that idea now.

tann435

FNG
I have hopes one day of converting my Sig Cross 6.5 creed into a 7 saum. I know that it would require a magnum bolt head (non existent at the moment) and a 7 saum barrel and also come with bullet selection limitations, but still seems like a very handy setup if I can bring it into existence.

While I know there are a few companies out there making aftermarket barrels for the Sig Cross, has anyone heard of anyone venturing into the short action magnum realm and possibly producing magnum bolt heads for the Sig Cross?

I'd love me a sig cross with a 20" carbon fiber 7 saum barrel and suppressor for long range elk. With the folding stock it'd make a nice, lightweight, compact hunting rifle with all the adjustability I'd ever need.

What are your thoughts? Heard of such bolt heads out there? Do you have bigger plans for your Sig Cross than the current short action offerings?
What do you think of the 260 or 7mm08 AI?

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
Howdy Tann435. From what I've learned about the 260 rem it's very similar to the 6.5cm in performance. The 7mm-08AI I am not super familiar with, but seems Ackley improves everything. Since my dreams of converting this rifle to a short magnum have been dashed, I may just hold out and see how this does with the .277 Fury hunting ammo and maybe a 20-22" barrel to get as much juice out of it as possible. I'd like to make this a 400-500 yard elk gun, but that just may not be attainable in the current platform.

kpalu

FNG
When I had my cross I looked at opening up by bolt face to take magnum cartridges. There isn't enough material there. I also considered rebarreling in 7 wsm and then grinding a tool to rebate the rims on my brass and make 7 wsm brass work with a 0.470 bolt face. Neither ended up looking like they would be worth the effort

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
I was figuring a long action was in the works. That’s great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

ZAP035

FNG
Gonna be that guy to revive this thread. Now that the magnums are out, does anyone know if it’s possible to swap the bolt head out for a magnum? I’d still love to build a light 6.5PRC cross