Sig Sauer Elite Hunter Tipped. Why not?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I was comparing various ammunitions for .308 and noticed the Sig EHT pushes a 165gr bullet at 150gr speeds (2840 FPS). Their other calibers seem to be loaded hot too. Why are these not more popular? Does anyone have any field experience with them in any caliber? I honestly can’t find much about them online.

I bought some for my 6 Creed but haven't fired them yet. I wonder if that bullet is a Sig exclusive and who makes it.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I can find regarding the bullet itself is that they may be Sierra Tipped GameKings? It all seems speculative though, nothing concrete. The BCs match between the two, and Sierra offers 165gr .30 cal, but still can't find an article confirming this.

They group under .5" at 100 yards in my .308 and are hotter than any other 165gr I have. Just skeptical due to the lack of information regarding actual field use.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
An article on Americanhunter.org reads "The translucent-yellow-tipped EHT bullets are supplied by Sierra... ...and come with an exclusive blackened jacket made to SIG's specifications. The gliding-metal jacket grows progressively thicker at the base to ensure the bullet retains weight on impact."
Probably just a GameKing with a fancy black jacket.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I read that article saying those are Sierra Bullets which would be the Tipped Gameking. I have read many places that the bullet expands well but yet it penetrates very well and accurate and good BC. You can go to Midway and other places to get tons of reviews on that bullet.
I am not sure what else you would want. I agree with others Partitions are good for Elk and Moose and doesn't hurt to use on smaller animals, same could be said for the TTSX. But for Deer and Hogs that you would hunt I see no issues, esp. with the accuracy you received (other thread)
I have taken several Deer and Hogs with the 168 BT, whis is a similar design in jacket thickness, never lacking!

I load my own but with the vel. they claim (if true) I need to try some of those!

Last edited:

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I have used these on whitetail with success but a little bit of concern. The buck that I shot was perfect broadside and hit in the shoulder. The bullet exploded violently and did not exit. There was no blood trail at all. Not a drop. He was piled up about 60 yards away. My velocity is around 2650 out of a 18” barrel. The shot was 200 yards.

The second was a doe shot at 190 yards and given the experience and lack of a blood trail previously, I chose to neck shoot her. She obviously dropped like a rock but again the bullet exploded violently even with such a small amount of meat to travel through.

Both were successful hunts but I am still undecided on how I feel about them. In fairness the buck was shot with a high shoulder shot hoping to anchor him right there. That would explain a thinner jacketed bullet coming apart with no exit and no bleeding (dead before the blood gets up to the hole). I guess I’ve just gotten spoiled by having short blood trails or drt kills. They do shoot more very well. I suspected these were TGKs and I guess it’s sort of been confirmed. I can’t think of anything else but I’ll come back if I do.