Sight tape: Software vs. Pin Measurement

chasewild

WKR
So, my shop said that they won't use a sight tape software because it isn't accurate, or, doesn't account for differences in how a shooter holds. Instead, they have you shoot at 20, 30 and 40 and then they measure the distance between pins to calculate the best sight tape.

Previously, I used pre-made sight tapes, and didn't have problems. And, to head off likely responses, the bow shop is one of the best I've found -- maybe too good. Just wondering if people can confirm that Archers Advantage or other similar programs can produce pin gaps that end up being inaccurate?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
It's just physics. Sight tape software works if given the correct data. Not really a debatable topic.

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
It's just physics. Sight tape software works if given the correct data. Not really a debatable topic.

My thoughts, but the guy shoots 300 vegas face and is pretty damn intense with his methods. So, I found myself wondering if there was a glitch in the matrix.

dkime

WKR
My thoughts, but the guy shoots 300 vegas face and is pretty damn intense with his methods. So, I found myself wondering if there was a glitch in the matrix.

Your shop is kind of right, and they’re giving you the best information based on the average Joe. Honestly, that’s how I recommend people set up sight tapes because I’ve found that if I build them a tape, it’s inaccurate just based on changing anchor points. Having said that. OT2 and AA are relatively inexpensive and you can print them out on regular paper until you get one dialed in for yourself. You’ll need a draw board to get your peep height and sight radius dimensions though. We can help you out if you’ve got any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
Your shop is kind of right, and they’re giving you the best information based on the average Joe. Honestly, that’s how I recommend people set up sight tapes because I’ve found that if I build them a tape, it’s inaccurate just based on changing anchor points. Having said that. OT2 and AA are relatively inexpensive and you can print them out on regular paper until you get one dialed in for yourself. You’ll need a draw board to get your peep height and sight radius dimensions though. We can help you out if you’ve got any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't matter the method you use to create a tape, if you move your anchor it's not going to be accurate.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
No glitch. Everybody has their own way to get similar outcomes. If it works it works

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member

All above are essentially correct. Its great that you are doing this right now. I have used AA and its been pretty spot on but now I just make my own. I make sure I am shooting great shots...if its a garbage shot, I cull that arrow out. I spend a lot of time at all distances and make sure its hitting behind the pin. I just want to make sure that the tape is reflective of "my shot." I strive for perfect form, but know there are flaws in my shot. I want to make sure that the tape is accurate of me and my repeatability.

Good on you for doing this now though. This forum will fill up with this type of question on August 25th. You'll have it dialed months before hunting season. Please post progress and what you ended up finding out back on this thread. I always like reading about the process that people taking with their bows. Best of luck