Signatures before dollars - How to support our community?

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Roksliders,

I'm typing this out after listening to the most recent Rokslide Podcast Episode,

I recommend you give it a listen. Sounds like a great organization.

A key point made was that donations to http://savethehuntcolorado.com are well appreciated. I am not as financially fit as I would like to be. I just bought my first car, paid off my student loans, but as I stand today... "donations" are typically reserved to keeping my relationship and wellbeing intact.

What can an individual do to preserve & maintain public land, pro hunting legislation, generally be a good samaritan of an outdoorsman? Can you do this as a NR without $$?

A note in the podcast eluded to anti-animal eaters being able to swing victories through 100,000 signatures. Why do outdoorsman who want more time and money to play in the woods need to pay money while our general opposition gets to sign a piece of paper?

I'd be thrilled to email legislation, spend 40min a month signing documents, but I'd rather buy a scope that doesn't get knocked out of place after every shot than pay money to organizations that do nothing for me in the short term. Hopefully I can do both in the future.

Cheers & Happy New Year,
ProStaffSteve

Hello Roksliders,

I'm typing this out after listening to the most recent Rokslide Podcast Episode,

I recommend you give it a listen. Sounds like a great organization.

A key point made was that donations to http://savethehuntcolorado.com are well appreciated. I am not as financially fit as I would like to be. I just bought my first car, paid off my student loans, but as I stand today... "donations" are typically reserved to keeping my relationship and wellbeing intact.

What can an individual do to preserve & maintain public land, pro hunting legislation, generally be a good samaritan of an outdoorsman? Can you do this as a NR without $$?

A note in the podcast eluded to anti-animal eaters being able to swing victories through 100,000 signatures. Why do outdoorsman who want more time and money to play in the woods need to pay money while our general opposition gets to sign a piece of paper?

I'd be thrilled to email legislation, spend 40min a month signing documents, but I'd rather buy a scope that doesn't get knocked out of place after every shot than pay money to organizations that do nothing for me in the short term. Hopefully I can do both in the future.

Cheers & Happy New Year,
ProStaffSteve
Well since residents are telling non res to keep their nose out of their states wildlife management that is what I would do if I was you. I definitely wouldn't waste money on any con org.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Well since residents are telling non res to keep their nose out of their states wildlife management that is what I would do if I was you. I definitely wouldn't waste money on any con org.
This is certainly top of mind.

JFK

WKR

I respectfully disagree. Differences of opinion between the resident and non-resident hunters should not take away from the greater good of preserving hunting. If these anti groups win then it won’t make a difference where you live. It will negatively impact your way of life.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I respectfully disagree. Differences of opinion between the resident and non-resident hunters should not take away from the greater good of preserving hunting. If these anti groups win then it won’t make a difference where you live. It will negatively impact your way of life.
This is where I'm coming from. I understand the value in supporting these initiatives for myself, others, and future generations. But as the prior two commenters pointed out, its hard to see these orgs as anything but cash grabbing, because all their ask is for money. Rarely signatures, always money.

I respectfully disagree. Differences of opinion between the resident and non-resident hunters should not take away from the greater good of preserving hunting.
And I'm not interested in trying to preserve hunting for residents that are doing their best to eat a bigger piece of the pie while letting non res lick the crumbs from the pie dish.

If these anti groups win then it won’t make a difference where you live. It will negatively impact your way of life.
The residents of western states have already. I'm planning to use some of my vacation for stuff besides hunting this year. Will anti's impact it even more? Possibly.

Everyone is welcome to decide what matters to them or not. I can't stand helping hypocrites for one.

Ucsdryder

WKR
And I'm not interested in trying to preserve hunting for residents that are doing their best to eat a bigger piece of the pie while letting non res lick the crumbs from the pie dish.

The residents of western states have already. I'm planning to use some of my vacation for stuff besides hunting this year. Will anti's impact it even more? Possibly.

Everyone is welcome to decide what matters to them or not. I can't stand helping hypocrites for one.
Non-residents kill way more elk than wolves. Doesn’t look like we can get rid of the wolves, but maybe we can get rid of the NR vermin! 😂

CorbLand

WKR
The reason antihunters will always be more successful is because the goal is to end hunting period. They are not worried about what animal, state, season, size, etc. Its to end hunting period. They dont give a flying **** if they never step foot in the state of Colorado to see a wolf, they still send money or time to make it happen.

What can you do that doesnt involve money?

Stay involved and educated on what is happening. Subscribe to HOWLs email list.

Spend a couple weekends a year doing projects with game agencies and/or nonprofits. I have been to a couple habitat projects put on by nonprofits and never once have I been asked to show a membership card. Most game agency websites have a list of upcoming projects. So do nonprofits.

I dont remember who said or where I saw it but I once read a quote that went something like...everyone is always looking for the solution that will solve the big issue but sometimes the best thing you can do is volunteer to coach a local T-Ball team.

Look for things that you can do a couple hours a week and close to home. There is a shooting range about 2 miles from my house. I try to go up every couple weeks and just pick shit up. I fed deer this last winter. I have burned through a pair of gloves doing lop and scatters. Nothing has been more than 25 miles from home. I have a perpetual day off to go to a specific board meeting every year.

The unfortunate thing is a lot of things anymore are wrapped up in legal battles and those take money to run and offer very little volunteer oppurtunities. You dont need to send large amounts of money to make a difference. Could you imagine if every hunter in the US would have sent one dollar to help with Colorados wolf fight?

Last edited:
If there was ever a state that bent over for non-residents, it’s the state of Colorado.

They have historically given more non-resident tags than any other western state, and the runner up is not even close. It’s actually quite unbelievable the opportunity they provide sportsmen.

On this Colorado initiative specifically, or ballot initiatives in general…ballot box biology is not good for anyone, or anything. It’s dangerous. This is an attack on the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The reason we have a landscape with animals on it.

The ARA’s (animal rights activists) want nothing more than to stop hunting completely, throw in wolves, bears or big cats… and they are ALL in…. A perfect landscape for them is where hunters do not exist or even need to exist. A landscape with predator numbers out of control helps facilitate their “perfect world”

Money to fight this is all part of it… the ARA’s have millions of dollars on the line in support, Sportman have to fight this with money, time and effort.

Like @CorbLand said, imagine if every sportsman gave $1.00 or even $10.00…. It would be a game changer.

I think supporting howl.org, or other organizations it’s huge too. Even sharing messages that places like Coloradans For Responsible Wildlife Management put out can help.

It’s important to remember, these things are usually lost by very slim margins. 51% to 49% on the wolf ballot initiative.

Just some involvement goes a long ways.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I mean that is one way to look at it, Colorado is still by and far the most generous western state. We issue more elk tags to NR than all other Western states combined. So one way to look at it is what is going to happen if/when Co loses animals to ballot box biology and then loses tags to sell to both R/NR, you think it will get easier or harder to hunt elk as a NR like it or not Co is about the last show in town if you want to hunt elk as a NR with some consistency. Also what does your state do for NR does it roll out the red carpet? Every one is always fine as long as it not their backyard that’s getting blown up with activity, then it’s a problem….

Rich M

WKR
Why should we preserve hunting that we cannot participate in? Or only get to go 3x a lifetime? OTC is on its way out. We know that.

Besides, the wolves were voted in, panther hunts voted out. Where i live folks havevtrouble w bears but dont want a bear season.

Ueah, im ready to send all kinds of money… pfff.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
For sure we get it, guys are bitter about the anti NR sentiment, but doesn’t take long to realize that Co is the place for NR if you lose Co, then elk hunting the west will only be a few times in your life, wyo, mt, id, ut, nm, nv and az are already really restrictive, imagine if all the NR hunters that hunt Co suddenly had to hunt other states. Good luck. 👍

Ucsdryder

WKR
If there was ever a state that bent over for non-residents, it’s the state of Colorado.

They have historically given more non-resident tags than any other western state, and the runner up is not even close. It’s actually quite unbelievable the opportunity they provide sportsmen.

On this Colorado initiative specifically, or ballot initiatives in general…ballot box biology is not good for anyone, or anything. It’s dangerous. This is an attack on the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The reason we have a landscape with animals on it.

The ARA’s (animal rights activists) want nothing more than to stop hunting completely, throw in wolves, bears or big cats… and they are ALL in…. A perfect landscape for them is where hunters do not exist or even need to exist. A landscape with predator numbers out of control helps facilitate their “perfect world”

Money to fight this is all part of it… the ARA’s have millions of dollars on the line in support, Sportman have to fight this with money, time and effort.

Like @CorbLand said, imagine if every sportsman gave $1.00 or even $10.00…. It would be a game changer.

I think supporting howl.org, or other organizations it’s huge too. Even sharing messages that places like Coloradans For Responsible Wildlife Management put out can help.

It’s important to remember, these things are usually lost by very slim margins. 51% to 49% on the wolf ballot initiative.

Just some involvement goes a long ways.
This so so true. It’s so ironic that all the NR whine about Colorado. Go look at Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Montana, etc then come back and whine about Colorado. Wyoming is a perfect example. It takes 5 years to draw a general tag, the same one Colorado sells at gas stations. If Colorado turned their otc tag into a general tag and NR had to wait 5 years, 2 things would happen. 1. there would be a complete melt down by non residents and 2. The general tag would be incredible.

For sure we get it, guys are bitter about the anti NR sentiment, but doesn’t take long to realize that Co is the place for NR if you lose Co, then elk hunting the west will only be a few times in your life, wyo, mt, id, ut, nm, nv and az are already really restrictive, imagine if all the NR hunters that hunt Co suddenly had to hunt other states. Good luck. 👍
This^^^^ should be on top of everyone’s mind…. If you like hunting in ANY western state, this will effect you.

Think it’s hard now, wait until Colorado is forced to do tag reductions….

Ucsdryder

WKR
Why should we preserve hunting that we cannot participate in? Or only get to go 3x a lifetime? OTC is on its way out. We know that.

Besides, the wolves were voted in, panther hunts voted out. Where i live folks havevtrouble w bears but dont want a bear season.

Ueah, im ready to send all kinds of money… pfff.
You do realize that even if otc goes away there are TONS of units you can hunt for zero points Right? Or are you upset you can’t get your point AND hunt the same year?

Jethro

WKR
Even if you feel that you’ll only get to hunt out west 3x in your life, wouldn’t you want to support other states so there is still something to hunt when you finally get there?

Honestly, if you can only figure out how to hunt the west 3x in your life, you’re doing something wrong.

Ucsdryder

WKR
WY GEN = CO OTC? Nuh-uh
You missed my point. They’re both general tags. One takes 5 years and one is otc. If colorados took 5 years because they severely restricted it, the hunting would be phenomenal. If Wyoming turned their 5 year tag into an otc tag it would be crowded and be crappy as well. So why aren’t all the NR up in arms about Wyoming?