Signatures before dollars - How to support our community?

Jethro

WKR
You missed my point. They’re both general tags. One takes 5 years and one is otc. If colorados took 5 years because they severely restricted it, the hunting would be phenomenal. If Wyoming turned their 5 year tag into an otc tag it would be crowded and be crappy as well. So why aren’t all the NR up in arms about Wyoming?
For a NR a WY Gen tag is just a LQ tag that is good in numerous areas. They have to be drawn and there is a quota.

You must have seen all the bash WY threads, there is a new one every 2 weeks for the last 2 years . I even started a “Why Wy” thread.

Ultimately I agree with you. Current status though, no comparison co otc to wy Gen.

JFK

WKR
Why should we preserve hunting that we cannot participate in? Or only get to go 3x a lifetime? OTC is on its way out. We know that.

Besides, the wolves were voted in, panther hunts voted out. Where i live folks havevtrouble w bears but dont want a bear season.

Ueah, im ready to send all kinds of money… pfff.

Because it will be another step towards hunting and hunters being a thing of the past. If it can happen in Colorado it can happen in your state. Tag allocation is a tiny issue, and becomes meaningless if hunting is made illegal. When this stuff passes, it emboldens these anti groups and gives them a path forward in other states.

Non-residents kill way more elk than wolves. Doesn’t look like we can get rid of the wolves, but maybe we can get rid of the NR vermin! 😂
You think so? I bet in 10-15 years Colorado residents will wish its like it is right now.
I mean that is one way to look at it, Colorado is still by and far the most generous western state. We issue more elk tags to NR than all other Western states combined. So one way to look at it is what is going to happen if/when Co loses animals to ballot box biology and then loses tags to sell to both R/NR, you think it will get easier or harder to hunt elk as a NR like it or not Co is about the last show in town if you want to hunt elk as a NR with some consistency. Also what does your state do for NR does it roll out the red carpet? Every one is always fine as long as it not their backyard that’s getting blown up with activity, then it’s a problem….
Every week on SM there are Colorado residents mentioning cutting non res percent of the pie. I think there was even a survey recently (might still be available) with a lot of options leaving otc for residents and making it a draw for non res.

So you are telling me I should put money, time, and effort into helping those people out? The same people that are doing their best to take something from me? That way they can continue with status quo, while yet again non res pay for their playground while getting less and less time on the rides? It sucks to get teased. Here’s this awesome ride non res just helped pay for and install. “Oh you wanted to ride it? Sorry you can’t ride it but you can look at it. Also we need help again.”

They can do it themselves if they want to save their rides. If they care enough they will. If they don’t care enough they won’t.

I don’t know how many times in res/non res threads I’ve seen res say they would be glad to pay way more to get rid of non res. It’s funny I haven’t seen one resident of a western state say it in this thread yet? Why don’t they say it in this thread? Always lots of big typing on here by residents.

CorbLand

WKR
You think so? I bet in 10-15 years Colorado residents will wish its like it is right now.

Every week on SM there are Colorado residents mentioning cutting non res percent of the pie. I think there was even a survey recently (might still be available) with a lot of options leaving otc for residents and making it a draw for non res.

So you are telling me I should put money, time, and effort into helping those people out? The same people that are doing their best to take something from me? That way they can continue with status quo, while yet again non res pay for their playground while getting less and less time on the rides? It sucks to get teased. Here’s this awesome ride non res just helped pay for and install. “Oh you wanted to ride it? Sorry you can’t ride it but you can look at it. Also we need help again.”

They can do it themselves if they want to save their rides. If they care enough they will. If they don’t care enough they won’t.

I don’t know how many times in res/non res threads I’ve seen res say they would be glad to pay way more to get rid of non res. It’s funny I haven’t seen one resident of a western state say it in this thread yet? Why don’t they say it in this thread? Always lots of big typing on here by residents.
You were post number two, right after the original post and you started the resident versus nonresident bullshit. Nobody would have even mentioned it if you hadn’t brought it up.

This thread isn’t even about resident vs nonresident. It’s about what can be done to help that doesn’t involve money and we can’t even do that without someone bringing up resident vs nonresident.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Cool I’ll be the first, I was pumped to find out that we went from 65/35 to 75/25. Also I think it would be fair to go all draw for everyone or keep otc for res, draw for everyone else. Colorado will still issue more tags for elk than the rest of the west combined. Not the biggest thinking man but if that goes away you think everyone will just stop hunting elk… it will be 10-20x harder for NR to get an elk tag out west if Co falls

Ucsdryder

WKR

Honestly though…IF you were a Colorado resident, seeing all the other states limit NR to 0-20%, many closer to 0-10% wouldn’t you want your state to follow suit? Many units are 35% NR, not even speaking of OTC which is over 50% NR in areas. I don’t think residents are asking for something outrageous. Colorado has become everyone’s fall back plan when they strike out in the other 8 western states. The pie has stayed the same, but the amount of people that want a piece has grown exponentially. Something has to give. It’s not the 1990s. I’m honestly surprised NR have an issue with it.

In regards to the talk of paying more, that’s the NR go to excuse. “What will CPW do without our money”. “Think of the little towns that would go under without us!” I don’t think any residents want to pay more, but many are willing to pay more for a better experience. Wyoming is up to $2000 for some elk tags, Colorado’s 700 is a bargain!!!

gman82001

WKR

I bet you’re fun at parties

jmez

WKR
These threads are as good as the tag allocation threads.

The entitlement attitude of NR's vs the indifferent, tough shit attitudes of the residents.

The indifferent tough shit attitude of NR's vs the entitlement attitude of residents.

Justification by both sides when they are directly affected.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

We need to stop funding this lunacy!

How much does it cost to manage wolves in Oregon and how is it paid for?

“The majority of wolf program funding for the 2021-2023 biennium consists of federal funds from the Pittman-Robertson Grant Program.”

Especially when groups like PEER are trying to pass legislation to decrease federal funding to states that target predators.

“WASHINGTON— State game agencies could lose a substantial portion of their budgets for eradicating their wolf populations under a proposal put forward by the Global Indigenous Council, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), the Center for Biological Diversity and a coalition of 25 Native American, conservation, and animal welfare organizations. The plan would deny federal wildlife management funding to states that excessively target predators, such as wolves, cougars and grizzly bears.”

When antis are using funds paid for by sportsmen to reintroduce animals that we will never be able to hunt, while attempting to cut off states that allow true conservation, you know the system is broken. We need to fight this at the federal level.

Orgs like RMEF are a joke to me. I don’t want a monthly magazine, I want a healthy elk population! Use the magazine money to pay for lobbying or something.

sndmn11

WKR
I thought it would get past post #2 before RES/NonRes erupted.

This is precisely why we are losing-in my humble, uneducated opinion. If we wait to get in the fight until we all get exactly what we want, the battle will have been long lost.

Agreed. The question in the thread title, "how to support our community?" Reveals there isn't much community to support. Ballot box biology works because "we" are pulling in different directions with a million different every hunter's own view of what is right, when "they" don't care how it is wrong.

I saw how the fragmented efforts against wolf introduction squandered money and never attempted to reach mainstream voters. The same seems to be occuring with the cat ban, except one fill-in radio host in KOA, and it leaves me out of the helping.

CorbLand

WKR

“The majority of wolf program funding for the 2021-2023 biennium consists of federal funds from the Pittman-Robertson Grant Program.”

Especially when groups like PEER are trying to pass legislation to decrease federal funding to states that target predators.

“WASHINGTON— State game agencies could lose a substantial portion of their budgets for eradicating their wolf populations under a proposal put forward by the Global Indigenous Council, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), the Center for Biological Diversity and a coalition of 25 Native American, conservation, and animal welfare organizations. The plan would deny federal wildlife management funding to states that excessively target predators, such as wolves, cougars and grizzly bears.”

When antis are using funds paid for by sportsmen to reintroduce animals that we will never be able to hunt, while attempting to cut off states that allow true conservation, you know the system is broken. We need to fight this at the federal level.

Orgs like RMEF are a joke to me. I don’t want a monthly magazine, I want a healthy elk population! Use the magazine money to pay for lobbying or something.
RMEF is a 501c3. They can’t lobby. It is part of the rules to be a c3 organization.

If you want to support an organization that can lobby, look for 501c4.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread is a shit show. I'm not locking it because it's important but keep ******* around and your find out you won't be posting here any more.

Do nothing and this same bullshit tactics are coming to every state out west.

You want to punch back and hit them where it hurts it going to take money. What? That's right this is a legal and political fight both which take money, lots of money.

Don't have lots then do what you can until you can do more.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR

Had no clue this was happening, that seems like a federal level fight for sure.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Jesus, some of you are so oblivious it’s pathetic. These anti hunting tactics are effective and growing like cancer. It’s coming to your state at some point if no battles are fought hard from our end today. I don’t plan to hunt CO anytime soon again but sending money to this org this week and often for sure.

Travis907

WKR
We all need to fight no matter what state we live in or hunt in! If we don’t the anti’s win and that’s the last thing anyone of us on Rokslide want. All us hunters need to be better educators to the “no opinion group in the middle” that still may listen. If we all do a little something for positive Conservation then that sure would be a step in the right direction! Let’s not make it about Resident vs Non Resident or we are shooting ourselves in the foot!