Simple and Sinister kettlebell program

I could not recommend this program enough to get in great shape for your next hunt. I was in decent shape already, I train bjj at least 3 days a week, but I believe this program helped a ton on a recent mule deer hunt. I started about 2 months out and did at least 100 swings with a 55lb kettlebell 4 days a week. I never got tired and my legs and back never got sore after hiking miles in the mountains for a solid week. I also haulded out several loads of meat on my pack from mine and friends deer we killed at least 2 miles in. The best part is, the workout is at home and only takes about 30 minutes.
Good luck

This is awesome, thanks for recommending. Now just need to find some quality and affordable kettlebells since gyms are closed...

OP
jerodmartinez
This is awesome, thanks for recommending. Now just need to find some quality and affordable kettlebells since gyms are closed...
That's probably going to be the hard part right now. I was looking to buy some different sizes and they are very hard to find right now. The ones I did find were way over priced. I will say that I have stuck to using this workout at least 3 days a week now and my back and shoulders have never felt better. I will never go back to free weights, too hard on my body. Good luck

I would highly recommend Competition Kettlebells to keep good form and learn the correct way regarding their uses. I purchased 3 of these from Kettlebell USA (https://www.kettlebellsusa.com/prod...handle-precision-steel-competition-kettlebell) and glad I went with them. They all weigh different but their dimensions are the same, so no adjustments needed to use all of them.

Also recommend Simple and Sinister 2.0 (Revised and Updated). I have been using the program for almost 1 year and will never, ever go back to a gym or free weights again. The swings, dips, presses, cleans and snatches are all one needs to get really strong. We are talking functional strength here.

Vandy321

WKR
Also recommend Simple and Sinister 2.0 (Revised and Updated). I have been using the program for almost 1 year...
Do you happen to have a screenshot or PDF of the workouts...I dont need the whole book, I am familair with KB for for all exercises involved, dont need the "how to" that most of the book is.

Do you happen to have a screenshot or PDF of the workouts...I dont need the whole book, I am familair with KB for for all exercises involved, dont need the "how to" that most of the book is.
You know, it will be the best $17.95 ($15.76 on Amazon = https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-S...&sprefix=kettlebell+simple+and,aps,244&sr=8-2)

He discusses a lot more than just a simple how to. He also goes into detail regarding how the program works and how it is to be applied to each person. I simply cannot send you images, which is stealing, technically, for fear that you will not get the most our of the book.

Worth EVERY penny, in my opinion. Good luck!!

Vandy321

WKR
Stealing? Lighten up Francis.

Sharing a workout is no different than sharing published load data.

Cheers bud.

OP
jerodmartinez
I agree that the book is great for the finer details and I would highly recommend it. That said the main thing that I did was just to make sure and do at least 100 Swings in under 10 minutes 4 days a week. Some days I would do them under 5 minutes and some days just try and do some big sets. The main thing was just making yourself do them even if you don't feel like it. I would do the get ups some days and on others, I would do presses and push ups or what not. I hate to run and didn't have time to hike with my pack like I should have, Actually only hiked with my pack once before my trip. I really believe the swings helped me tremendously in the mountains. Just my 2 cents

sveltri

WKR
It is a great program that I really enjoyed and may go back to at some point. I would recommend not giving yourself a time limit each day, but instead focus on form, power, and explosiveness. Do it timed for testing occasionally to see how your progress is coming along. It is far more important in that program to make each rep as explosive, with perfect form, than it is to just perform the reps. That being said it is better to do something rather than nothing.

OP
jerodmartinez
I have a 55lb and and 35lb. Probably best to start with the 35lb and practice form, and let your grip get stronger. I still use the 35lb for most of the get ups and shoulder presses. You used to could find really good deals on craigslist from wholesalers. Not anymore. Home gyms and toilet paper were the hot sellers in 2020. I have even seen the 35lb at walmart before. Not the best quality but at least its a start.

sveltri

WKR
I started with a 16kg, then 24kg, then 32kg. I was able to do much heavier TGU's than I could consistently do the swings with the 32kg bell. Most of my 1 handed swings were with the 24kg.

Thanks for the motivation to dig out my Pavel book. I did it a few years ago to supplement my bjj as well, really helped my grips. Never thought about it for hunt prep

OP
jerodmartinez
Yea, I think the best thing would be running, or better yet rucking several times a week on different terrains. My problem is I hate running, and it is hard for me to find the time to go for a long hike more then once a week. My next hunt I will do this program again and throw in some more time hiking with my pack and gun.

Saml_Stmb

FNG
How big of a bell are you using?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I bought a 35 lb Rogue bell for Christmas. Doesn't sound like much, but the weight is super versatile and a good one to start with for a lot of people.

As far as brand, try not to cheap put to much. Rogue and KB Kings make good bells. With higher quality bells, you will get a better grip feel and finish texture. You'll notice these things when your doing high rep swings or any number of power snatches or cleans. Of course, Pavel would just tell you to "work on your callouses, comrade."

Good luck on the KB hunt!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Gu

Guess I’ll have to steal from one of the 1000 YouTube videos then. Not paying someone for ‘intellectual property’ that is Basic body mechanics and common sense.

Kind of like learning how to hunt by watching videos and not getting expert advice. Great idea.. good luck with that. Get used to failure.

I found that the internet is a far cry from the actual and accurate information contained with the book. I have re-read the book as I learned I was doing some things wrong, something the YouTuber's would not catch.