Simple, Durable, Dialable, SFP Scope

Am I looking for a unicorn? I want a second focal plane scope, with a simple reticle, that I can dial, and is durable (aka hold zero). I thought I had all of that in my Leupold scopes, but of the 5 that I have, I have to adjust my zero, every, single, time. Now they shoot great once “zeroed” for the day, but I hate having to do that. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I thought I had it narrowed down to either the NXS 2.5-10 or the Credo HX 2.5-15x42. But both of these have fairly busy reticles for my old eyes. Now granite, I’ve never actually had the chance to get behind one, and am having to go off internet pictures. They are both much “heavier” than my Leupold’s, but I realize I might have to trade weight for the durability. I also fear that I will struggle to mount the NXS due to its length.

This probably wouldn’t be such a big decision, but I have 5 to replace…so it’s a fairly big commitment. Anyway, would love to hear insight, or thoughts. And this is Forms fault 😜. Would have never know that rezeroing every time at the range wasn’t normal.

And, I’m not a long distance shooter. But I do like to dial rather than hold. 1000 yards is my max, but that is more at the range, not in the field (not yet anyway). So for me, huge magnification isn’t my jam.

OP
passinggas33
You can get the Nightforce SHVs with a Forceplex reticle.
Great scope that meets almost all of the criteria, EXCEPT it isn’t “dialable” unless you take off the turret cap. Or go with the big mamacita. Both of which I would prefer not to do. Love a good old fashioned zero stop of some type.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
What is wrong with the NF 4-14 SHV F1? It has exposed elevation turret and capped windage.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I had good luck with the Optika5 line for quite some time, as well as the now discontinued MeoPro scopes that had the HTR knobs.

Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 may fit the bill. Good glass, SFP, simple reticle, and elevation can be dialed.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Great scope that meets almost all of the criteria, EXCEPT it isn’t “dialable” unless you take off the turret cap. Or go with the big mamacita. Both of which I would prefer not to do. Love a good old fashioned zero stop of some type.
Why can't you remove the elevation turret cap and dial when you need to? From 0-200 yards no dialing required, beyond 200 take the cap off and spin the turret.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
Why can't you remove the elevation turret cap and dial when you need to? From 0-200 yards no dialing required, beyond 200 take the cap off and spin the turret.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
It’s not a matter of can’t. Just would prefer something that has a designed turret for dialing. Also knowing my luck I’d end up a full revolution in high or low.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It’s not a matter of can’t. Just would prefer something that has a designed turret for dialing. Also knowing my luck I’d end up a full revolution in high or low.

The turret on the SHV is designed fur dialing. And they are revolution indicated.

IMG_4896.jpeg

OP
passinggas33
The turret on the SHV is designed fur dialing. And they are revolution indicated.

View attachment 642490
Formilidious - Since you’re one of the few people that might have had a chance to test the SHV to the Credo Hx, how does is compare? Which might be closer to finding “my unicorn”? I know you haven’t ran through all your tests yet and come to final results on the SHV, but would you have a preference if we forced you to actually use a SFP scope?

That ones as close as I’ve seen. How’s the reliability?
It’s been flawless on my 30-06 Tikka that rides in the truck with me a lot. Plus, Vortex’s warranty is so good that if something ever does happen, they will take care of you right away. I dropped my Razor HD 10x42 Binos and the diopter ring broke. I sent them a picture and they gave me a shipping label for the broken set and then overnighted me a brand new pair for a replacement because I was leaving for a hunting trip.