Simple, Durable, Dialable, SFP Scope

TreeDog

FNG
I would absolutely go with the SHV. I have one with the IHR reticle sitting on the shelf. Super reliable for me when it was mounted. I switched it out for the 2.5-15x42 Credo. I actually like the turrets on the SHV better than the credo. If the 3-10 had a mil option, it would be the perfect scope for what I do with that rifle.

Macintosh

WKR
@passinggas33 are you adamant about 2fp becasause you are concerned about reticle visibility for use at close range, busy/broken background, etc? It does seem that scope is a unicorn. If that is your concern you might check out a few of the more hunting-oriented FFP reticles, it might open up some options for you. I understand that isnt what you asked for, but as this subject comes up somewhat frequently, I think there simply isnt a good answer that doesnt require bending some of your criteria.
I would check out the SWFA mil quad--I've never been able to see one in person, but folks who have them swear by the larger mil-quad in the 3-9x. Also the Schmidt & bender P3 or P3L is a standard mil-dot reticle, it looks like your average duplex reticle at low power, and becomes a functional mil dot as you zoom in. The P4 is the same thing but with 1/2-mil hashes. Most Mil-dot (or MOA-dot) reticles in FFP that I have seen will be pretty useable at lowest-magnification, I believe Trijicon has a few, and possibly a few other companies. Also, if the new Maven 2.5-15x scope pans out as some folks hope, that reticle could also be a good option to meet your needs.

There are some images you might compare here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/ffp-reticle-image-thread.299649/

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Formilidious - Since you’re one of the few people that might have had a chance to test the SHV to the Credo Hx, how does is compare? Which might be closer to finding “my unicorn”? I know you haven’t ran through all your tests yet and come to final results on the SHV, but would you have a preference if we forced you to actually use a SFP scope?

I’ve used SHV’s a lot. If simple, SFP, and duplex reticle was what I was looking for, the 3-10x SHV is it.

OP
passinggas33
I guess my head has been in the sand in regards to Schmidt Bender, but they seem to have some options that might also fit my bill. Are they “Nightforce” good? Haven’t seen any in the Form drop tests. So I’m just curious. I see they are used by militaries across the world, which I know doesn’t always mean much.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I guess my head has been in the sand in regards to Schmidt Bender, but they seem to have some options that might also fit my bill. Are they “Nightforce” good? Haven’t seen any in the Form drop tests. So I’m just curious. I see they are used by militaries across the world, which I know doesn’t always mean much.

The S&B Klassiks are good scopes.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But are they Nightforce good 😏?

In large sample sizes and absolute abuse, nothing has as low a percentage of failure as NF NXS, NX8, or even probably SHV’s.

The question should probably be- do they meet a standard for reliability and durability to make a scope failure a very low probability? The answer to that is yes.

OP
passinggas33
In large sample sizes and absolute abuse, nothing has as low a percentage of failure as NF NXS, NX8, or even probably SHV’s.

The question should probably be- do they meet a standard for reliability and durability to make a scope failure a very low probability? The answer to that is yes.
Thank you. That was worded perfectly for me. I appreciate all of your knowledge and being willing to share it with us.

Bluumoon

WKR
@Formidilosus. I've primarily moved over to FFP, but ended up w an NXS SFP. Question is, how would one account for wind holds when not at full power magnification? Spotting shots and adjusting I get, but 0.1 mil is not always 0.1mil in the scope w SFP right?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus. I've primarily moved over to FFP, but ended up w an NXS SFP. Question is, how would one account for wind holds when not at full power magnification? Spotting shots and adjusting I get, but 0.1 mil is not always 0.1mil in the scope w SFP right?

Correct. And you either use the reticle at full power- the problem with SFP, or you see the hit/miss and hold the same amount that you saw off.

BLJ

WKR
Correct. And you either use the reticle at full power- the problem with SFP, or you see the hit/miss and hold the same amount that you saw off.
That never dawned on me until you just said that.

Instead of correcting “.4” you could correct “2 marks”.

If you have a mil scope marked in .2 increments and you’re not at the magnification that the scope is calibrated for. Interesting.

Am I reading this correctly?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That never dawned on me until you just said that.

Instead of correcting “.4” you could correct “2 marks”.

If you have a mil scope marked in .2 increments and you’re not at the magnification that the scope is calibrated for. Interesting.

Am I reading this correctly?

Yes. You can also eyeball it with any reticle.

Now, “can do” something, and is “optimum” or “good” can be and are different things.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't the NXS available in Mildot at some stage?
You might get lucky and find one on the used market.

Or do you just want a simple duplex reticle?

OP
passinggas33
Wasn't the NXS available in Mildot at some stage?
You might get lucky and find one on the used market.

Or do you just want a simple duplex reticle?
Would love a simple duplex reticle. It’s looking like there might be some good options that are pretty close to what I’m looking for.

Mike 338

WKR
Might want to check out Zeiss Conquest. I got one quite a while back. Capped windage so you hold for windage. Dial elevation with a zero-stop. Not locking elevation but the zero-stop is a thing you can just twist in the dark to confirm you're on. Seems like a really good scope.