Scope for 375 Ruger

I picked up a 375 Ruger and am now looking for a scope. Figure it'll be used on a variety of game in a variety of terrain. I do want to apologize ahead of time for the length.

The requirements are simple: reliability (both zero retention and dialing), able to handle the 375 Ruger’s recoil and have enough magnification to let me stretch its legs as desired. Budget is up to $2K.

My short list is the Credo HX 1-6, Credo HX 1-8, NX8 1-8, NXS 2.5-10, NX8 2.5-10 and March Compact 1-10.

The Credo HX 1-6 and 1-8 lack parallax adjustment and do not have a zero stop. The NX8 1-8 lacks parallax adjustment and has a below average exit pupil.

I looked at the NXS 2.5-10 and it checks a lot of boxes. The only potential drawbacks are eye relief and the 2.5 on the low end. I looked at water buffalo and elk mounts on my wall with a 3x scope and there was not a lot of open real estate in the scope at this short of a distance. While it is not an issue with a stationary object, it can be a problem if something is coming at me with ill intent at 30+ mph.

I did look at the NX8 2.5-20 since I looked at the NXS 2.5-10. The exit pupil and FoV are turn offs.

The March Compact 1-10 look pretty intriguing. My main concerns are exit pupil (published is only 2.4mm) and reliability. Would it pass a RS drop test?

Any insights on reliable scopes for the medium bores would be appreciated.

The scope that I have on my 375 Ruger has apparently become sacrilegious for the slide. But I've had that gun on at least 6 commercial RT flights and over a dozen bush planes. Bounced across the tundra, ocean, rivers, and into bait stations. Haven't touched the scope since the original sight in. Just shot it again last week and she's ready for another moose/bear trip.

Best of luck on your search.

Credo HX 2.5-15x42 would be another to consider since you’re looking at others with 2.5x on the low end. Would also give you some added mag if desired for longer range.

Given the mediocre long range potential of the 375 and the size of animals that can stop 375 bullets, I'd say 6x is plenty. A durable 1-6 should suit it very well.

OP
A
Given the mediocre long range potential of the 375 and the size of animals that can stop 375 bullets, I'd say 6x is plenty. A durable 1-6 should suit it very well.
The 375 Ruger does not lag that far behind my 308 Win with COTS Precision Hunter.
1689827572047.png

Tmac

WKR
I’m wondering if you will be shooting far enough for lack of parallax adjustment to really matter? I’d be looking pretty hard at one of those that start at 1x in case one needed to go into some thick stuff to sort things out.

OP
A
Credo HX 2.5-15x42 would be another to consider since you’re looking at others with 2.5x on the low end. Would also give you some added mag if desired for longer range.
I did take a look. The main issue is the FoV at 41'.

Aesthetically the scope is a long bugger; would be 1/3 the length of the rifle.

Dennis

WKR
My 375 H&H and 9.3x62 are both scoped with Leupold 1.5-5 with heavy duplex crosshairs and CDS turrets. Light and reliable scopes for large game. I do limit my shots to 400 yards or less.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
There’s another thread on here with similar question and lots of responses, can’t recall title right now, but personally I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 on my 19” 375 Ruger and an NX8 1-8 FC Mil on my 24” 375 HH. For a hunting rifle out to 400 or so, the Accupoint 1-6 has become my favorite scope. The NX8 is good too (and the bombproof rep gives peace of mind) but I think Trijicon really hit the sweet spot with the 1-6 Accupoint for my preferences and applications. I’d do both again and they’d serve well for most hunters at reasonable distances on smaller caliber rifles too. I.e. a fast handling and well fit/balanced, suppressed 30-06 with either scope would be extremely versatile jack of all trades IMO.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I use a S&B 1.5-6x42 on mine. If you find one, they're a great option.

Of what you listed (that I have experience with), I like the NX8 1-8 for the reticle visibility. I use several NXS 2.5-10x42's and I appreciate them for what they are, but if you need to get on something quick, the NX8 1-8 is a better option. The NXS 2.5-10x42's have very particular parallax adjustment and fine reticles...both those things are great for precision and resolution but can be a hinderance for quicker shooting on moving targets in busy backgrounds.

The NXS 2.5-10x32 is a bit behind the x42 in resolution/glass/exit pupil, but it has the advantages of a deeper depth of focus so no need to adjust parallax and brighter illumination to help with the fine reticle. If I wanted a 2.5-10 NXS on a 375 I'd try to find one of them.

OP
A
Just wanted to provide an update as this has severely languished on my side due to work demands.

With EO dropping the price on the Credo HX 1-8, I picked one up. I was close to grabbing a Vudu 1-10 but the long term reliability of the rubber illumination buttons gave me pause. Rings and base have been ordered but have not yet arrived. Hoping to get to the range next week to get everything dialed-in.

Overall the first impressions are positive. Glass is nice and appears to be usable at all magnifications. Turrets feel pretty good. I do like the option of red and green illumination; not nuclear bright but that is ok. No issues with the reticle and it being FFP (happy about that). Did take it out for an afternoon glassing sessions in Coues country and it did better than expected.

The one potential drawback is its width. The scope is 3.25" wide and my rifle is 1.75" wide. This give 0.75" on each side to potentially snag brush and/or take the brunt of a fall. I'll see about hitting the woods to see if these concerns are warranted or not. If warranted, I'll replace this scope with the Credo HX 1-6 and call it good.