Single Bevel vs Double Bevel

Ok...I killed my first animal with a bow 30 years ago. I am like many of you, I have my own experiences, testing and equipment choices which has never included a single Bevel head.

I have read all of the so called benefits of a SB head. I have watched and read Dr Ashly's work.

With that said, school me with real life experiences and testing. Anything out there that will change my mind on that SB / DB all get the job done equally well?

School a stubborn bow hunter:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I have only shot two whitetails with SB broad heads and the blood trail was the best that I have seen with single blade broad heads. Check out Aboyer heads. I should also say that I have only shot eight other deer with single blade heads. So not a ton of experience.

WoodBow

WKR
I have killed a fair amount of animals off of both. Most off a recurve. Some off a compound. My personal experience has been that I get better penetration with DB. I have not hit heavy bone with either but have broke plenty of ribs with both. My experience has also been that I get better blood trails with DB. I know all that goes against what is said by ashby and others but I am stating my experience on deer and pigs. I also largely prefer to sharpen DB over SB.

I am interested in this too, have some friends that like the SB. I know with helical fletched arrows the left or right bevel has to be correct. I think left fletch = left bevel ? Is that correct ?

Thanks

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, match the bevel with the helical.

I have done my own penitration test on one inch boards and the DB penitrated the best.

OP
Jeff Martin
I am interested in this too, have some friends that like the SB. I know with helical fletched arrows the left or right bevel has to be correct. I think left fletch = left bevel ? Is that correct ?

Thanks

Correct. The SB is supposed to rotate throughout penetration so if your arrow was spinning the opposite direction, the arrow would have to stop the spin and energy before rotating in the animal. It defeats the purpose of at least one the perceived benefits of a SB.

Beendare

WKR
Splitting hairs are we? grin

My take;Its really Ashby that is promoting the single bevel. FWIW, this is the same guy that did a study claiming arrows with very high FOC carried further than arrows without. this essentially defied the laws of physics and when confronted admitted the study was done with dowels and rubber bands and took it down a few years ago. Hmmmm....

Ashby has parlayed his excellent early examples of heavy arrow penetration into his own single bevel BH...and other theories into his own speaking tour.

Put it this way without insulting Ashby; I'm skeptical of many of these internet tests!

I've seen big bone split by double bevels. Pat on the Bowsite has a test he did on a cape buff splitting bone with a double bevel on video. I've done it in Australia on Water Buff
My buff W Robt2_1.jpg

[Ok Been, get to the point! you are rambling....] Yes, i think there is probably a minor advantage in bone splitting ability with the single bevels. Its so minor and they are so much harder to sharpen right plus they have to be stronger/harder steel due to the unsupported edge of a single bevel...i stick with double bevels. YMMV

Heres a question; In the thousands of years of knife evolution, why is it that almost all knives are double bevel.... if single bevel is so much better?

OP
Jeff Martin
Splitting hairs are we? grin

My take;Its really Ashby that is promoting the single bevel. FWIW, this is the same guy that did a study claiming arrows with very high FOC carried further than arrows without. this essentially defied the laws of physics and when confronted admitted the study was done with dowels and rubber bands and took it down a few years ago. Hmmmm....

Ashby has parlayed his excellent early examples of heavy arrow penetration into his own single bevel BH...and other theories into his own speaking tour.

Put it this way without insulting Ashby; I'm skeptical of many of these internet tests!

I've seen big bone split by double bevels. Pat on the Bowsite has a test he did on a cape buff splitting bone with a double bevel on video. I've done it in Australia on Water Buff
View attachment 43690

[Ok Been, get to the point! you are rambling....] Yes, i think there is probably a minor advantage in bone splitting ability with the single bevels. Its so minor and they are so much harder to sharpen right plus they have to be stronger/harder steel due to the unsupported edge of a single bevel...i stick with double bevels. YMMV

Heres a question; In the thousands of years of knife evolution, why is it that almost all knives are double bevel.... if single bevel is so much better?

This is why I posted the thread. Looking for thoughtful discussion. I have never been convinced is the holly grail of a SB but not opposed to others experiences and testing results. I should run out and buy a Bishop/Helix and start breaking stuff ;-)

I've seen the debate on SB vs DB go on endlessly for many years. It's like the holiday sales...keeps showing up earlier every year lol.

I don't for one minute think anyone is ever going to prove or disprove the advantage or disadvantage of one edge over another. Arguments may or may not make sense, but what matters is the rubber and the road. Two bevels? Unsupported edge? One bevel? Easier to sharpen or harder? Penetrates better? Splits bone? Fad or functional? You might as well be arguing the qualities of quarterbacks. Show me a good quarterback and I'll show you a guy who gets it done.

I've shot both for many years. My favorite head for the past 7 years has been an Abowyer Wapiti. Reality: It's built heavy and is strong. It is precisely machined. I can sharpen it with greater ease and speed than my DB heads. It rotates (torques) when I push it into my quiver foam. It rotates (torques) when shot into target media and it does it when shot into an animal. The only bones I've split with it has been ribs. I've shot the SB Wapiti on carbons and woodies. My September moose was killed with a SB Wapiti. If my count is 100% correct, I've watched my last 8 animals go down in sight after one arrow...one SB Wapiti. Most of those shots got complete penetration. I don't know if it is one tenth of a per cent better than the DB heads I've shot, but it sure has been an outstanding broadhead with extreme durability and killing performance. My interpretation of their performance for me is they are the best broadhead I've ever used and I will be using them going forward. The one thing I never do is tell anyone a SB is better than a DB. I can't say Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady either.

Trial153

WKR
I killed with both. And saying that I never killed anything with one that I wouldn't have killed with the other. I think if there are lots of other factors in a broadhead design that have more influence then then SB vs DB. And that some designs Lend themselves to better performance in specific applications.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the Abowyer Wapiti. Love those things they fly great and my neighbor makes them.

Beendare

WKR
Because most knives aren't meant for splitting bones and causing asymmetrical cuts?

Well, the obvious reason [germane to our discussion here] is that knives have evolved that way for many reasons- not just one....same with BH's. The edge has more support helping it retain its sharpness longer. Then; To get something razor sharp, you have to remove the burr. Its easy to sharpen a double bevel edge and maintain angles by sharpening equally on each side to remove that burr.

Sure a single bevel can be made thinner...but does that part of it help us as bowhunters when shooting through ribs and such?

Its splitting hairs....shoot what works for you. I don't see any huge advantage to shooting a single bevel...but there could be some minor ones....

I think Blade angle is a much more important factor...as that has a strong effect on how sharp your BH is through the animal

jmez

WKR
I would argue that a "thinner" edge is detrimental on a broadhead. The thinner the edge the more fragile the edge and also the quicker it dulls. There is a happy medium there between a thin razor sharp blade and a thicker less sharp blade that retains an edge.

Single bevels leave more material at the tip, making them much better when impacting bone, but unless heavy bone is impacted after penetration such as in the case of hitting the opposite leg, how many times will it pay off.

Single bevel produce a much keener edge angle too. A 25 degree bevel on one side and a 0 on the other totals 25 where as 17 on both is 34. Keener the ewualls sharper.

The s cut is present on double bevels with helical fletch just as as much as with single bevels.

Its splitting hairs....shoot what works for you. I don't see any huge advantage to shooting a single bevel...but there could be some minor ones....

I think Blade angle is a much more important factor...as that has a strong effect on how sharp your BH is through the animal
I think it's all fairly trivial compared to what a given archer has confidence in. No one on this thread is shooting the sharpest broadhead you possibly can and no one is advocating field points for their penetration. So it's just a matter of confidence in the head and a matter of putting it through the vitals. If the shooter does their part it doesn't matter if the microscopic bur is there or not. Nothing is going to reliably makeup for the shot being bad.

jmez

WKR
I think it's all fairly trivial compared to what a given archer has confidence in. No one on this thread is shooting the sharpest broadhead you possibly can and no one is advocating field points for their penetration. So it's just a matter of confidence in the head and a matter of putting it through the vitals. If the shooter does their part it doesn't matter if the microscopic bur is there or not. Nothing is going to reliably makeup for the shot being bad.

You don't watch enough TV. Rage, expand your kill zone!

My lawnmower blades are single bevel. My broadheads are not.

Seriously though, I may have to try a SB BH on my trad arrows. I have not tried any to date.