Single person tent vs 8 man

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Me and my brothers are headed to Colorado again in September for archery hunting. We are considering taking just one tent (8-man tipi) vs taking individual tent. We would save a little room in two of are packs were we could pack extra food or other supplies depending on how long we stay in are unit. Has anyone done this? Is there any downfall in doing this we should consider. With the 3 of us in the tent would there be alot on condensation?

The nice thing about larger tents is you can sleep on a cot and put your bags underneath the cot, saving space and easier to get dressed in the mornings. Single person tents typically you're on the ground and trying to get dressed laying down and such. Not sure if the tipi you mentioned is doable with cots and such though.

edit: ...or now that I read it again it sounds like you're talking packing camp, not base camp.

OP
Andrewlonghi
The nice thing about larger tents is you can sleep on a cot and put your bags underneath the cot, saving space and easier to get dressed in the mornings. Single person tents typically you're on the ground and trying to get dressed laying down and such. Not sure if the tipi you mentioned is doable with cots and such though.

edit: ...or now that I read it again it sounds like you're talking packing camp, not base camp.
Yeah we would be taking a pack camp...looking at the kifaru 8-man

OP, will you be setting up or tearing down camp daily or leaving it up? Might consider any time savings of the single vs multiple tents if packing daily.

I think that maintaining mobility when elk hunting is important. They move so much that you will likely be moving camp a few times, so I think that the the single tents would be the option if it were my decision.

11boo

WKR
I have the 8 man seek. Condensation can be an issue, if you are going that route might as well take a stove too. Our wet gear would have never dried out without the Ti stove. Nice having all the extra room, only a bit of standing room, but it helps.
huge footprint for sure.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What would be a good single person tent. I was looking at the kifaru sawtooth so I would have plenty of room for myself and gear
I’ve had a Kifaru 4,6, and 8 man tipi. I find my Sawtooth has more USEABLE room than any of them, that is why I have it and the others are long gone. It is a palace for one and when I go with a buddy in November to Kodiak that is what we take and it works well.

Tbe Sawtootg is the route I would go; I like being able to stand in my sheltet.

OP
Andrewlonghi
I’ve had a Kifaru 4,6, and 8 man tipi. I find my Sawtooth has more USEABLE room than any of them, that is why I have it and the others are long gone. It is a palace for one and when I go with a buddy in November to Kodiak that is what we take and it works well.

Tbe Sawtootg is the route I would go; I like being able to stand in my sheltet.
Thank you for the reply,do u have a stove with it to?

cnelk

WKR
I have a 6 man Seek Outside tipi.
Its perfect for 2 guys with gear.
I also bought the liner and have no condensation issues, even when we took it to Alaska.

If all 3 of you pack accordingly, the 8 man should be fine.
But maybe also toss in a little single tent to hold anything that doesnt get used daily

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the reply,do u have a stove with it to?
I have a stove. I rarely use the stove, it’s nearly impossible on Kodiak. If you are moving every day you are not going to be wanting to cut wood every day. Or make a stinky fire. IMO. If you are setting it up for a week of base camp it is pretty nice.

rayporter

WKR
three guys breaking down or setting up and 8 man would go pretty darn fast! its my vote. but in full disclosure i sold my 8 and bought a 6 man and a 12 man!

no one has given any bad info, yet.

EdP

WKR
3 singles lacks a common area for cooking, eating, hanging out, planning, etc., something you will want in bad weather If you are going to use singles you also need a good sized tarp. A tarp set up in a lean to or diamond shape with a fire in front will be comfortable and let you dry stuff out. An 8 man will let you do that too, but you will need a stove. You might go with 2 singles and the tarp or maybe 1 single and the tarp.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an 8-man tipi and I love it.

But I will say my use is more in line with a base camp style. I may move a couple times but more often than not it’s a set it and forget it type deal.

The deciding factor for me was I’m a tall dude and the idea of getting socked in and not being able to stand was an absolute non-starter for me.

Good luck with your decision