Single person tent vs 8 man

This is an individual decision and you won't really know which you like better until you've tried both. Sounds like you've done the individual tent route, give the tipi a try and see how you guys like it. If you don't like it, resale on them is high enough you'll be out very little money.

Personally, I've done both and much prefer to have my own sleeping space. I sleep better, it's more organized and it gives me the ability to pack up my shelter and strike off for a day or two on my own to chase animals without leaving the others high and dry.

hunt1up

WKR
I've had a 6 man tipi and currently have a 12 man Seek Outside and a 4 man Slumberjack. I'd take the 8 man and share that for sleeping. And take a cheap tarp and pitch that to put your gear under. More room in the tent that way. The 8 man would be just fine for sleeping 3 so long as it's not packed with gear too.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I've had a 6 man tipi and currently have a 12 man Seek Outside and a 4 man Slumberjack. I'd take the 8 man and share that for sleeping. And take a cheap tarp and pitch that to put your gear under. More room in the tent that way. The 8 man would be just fine for sleeping 3 so long as it's not packed with gear too.
I like the idea with putting are gear under a tarp didn't think about that. Definitely would have plenty of room then for sure

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Kifaru 8-man tipi for over 10 years. Loved that tent! But the biggest issue with it is finding a flat area large enough to set it up, especially if you packing in off the beaten path. It can take some creative campsite selection to find a spot that all of you can sleep on a flat area without obstacles. Mine was destroyed last year in a huge windstorm/thunderstorm. Will replace it someday, but for now relying on smaller tents.

As far as condensation, if you keep it vented enough it isn't a problem. We often would pack the stove into the backcountry as well. With 4 of us and all of our gear it was tight but doable. With 5 and the stove, some of the gear had to be left outside.

TaperPin

WKR
When I’m backpacking it’s nice to have a larger tent and enjoy the company with a nice relaxed schedule. However, when we’re up early, covering a lot of rugged terrain, and staying out till dark, at night I just want to have my own space without other tired, grumpy, stinky, loud sleepers keeping me up all night.

It probably also depends on the type of camp. A cold quiet camp on a tiny little bench in bad weather isn’t as much fun to hang out and socialize in, but horse camp with firewood, a cook, and a bunch of guys talking about their day and full of extra energy is different. Most camps are somewhere between those two extremes.

When camping or backpacking for long periods of time, most people like their own space.

I have the 8 man seek. Condensation can be an issue, if you are going that route might as well take a stove too. Our wet gear would have never dried out without the Ti stove. Nice having all the extra room, only a bit of standing room, but it helps.
huge footprint for sure.
This. The big tent is going to allow you to have a heater, and dry things out easier if needed

We have overlanding trailers/rigs for trailhead and base camp situations and an 8 man tipi for spike camps. I like an extra single man as a garage for overflow stuff, particularly anything that smells.

pugwylde

FNG
What would be a good single person tent. I was looking at the kifaru sawtooth so I would have plenty of room for myself and gear
Argali Owyhee is a very spacious one man. Brad Brooks is something like 6'2", and he makes his tents to fit him, plus you have options like running it with it without an insert.

Something to consider, bigger tents are harder to find places to set them up. Also, the more gear you bring on a backpacking trip, the more miserable you might be. Bring a smaller tent, carry less stuff, hate the hills less, and hunt more.

GotDraw?

WKR
Consider that wherever you end up might be too steep or thick to set that tent at the end of a long hard day. I have been many places where you need a hammock or small 1-2man because there was no way you could find a flat/open piece of real estate to pitch that large a footprint. If you end up in an area like this you might have to hike a fur piece to set that tent to chase fur the next day.

Just sayin'...