Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

jd1006

WKR
I’m on quite a few data points with the Ambient 60 UL - It’s a great winter baselayer. Moves moisture quickly, adds warmth, and the deep zip is key for venting. I love it. I also like the Ambient hoody for next to skin on cold weather. I think it shines like that.

TXCO

WKR
I ordered a 60 UL a 100 and a 150 as we dont have a dealer where I live. Im struggling on the 60. It seems so thin that I wonder what the use case scenario is? Im thinking summer camping and maybe early September elk. I typically wear a core lt hoody base layer and I guess I could drop that and just use a tshirt under the UL. I think it would have to be real high exertion as the temperature drops or else youd be pretty cold. I love the deep chest zip for venting but worry it wont cover enough conditions.

I love the 100 and think the 150 is overkill FWIW. The 100 has been serving me well on a late season hunt. It is very versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ That a good plan to order all three :)

I've found the UL to be pretty good with temps down to ~ mid 20's (if windy it definitely needs a wind layer, as do the other weights)) when on the move. For us, that would normally covers most of the early season stuff (or even a warm mid-season).

The last week of our elk season temps were starting in the single digits to low teens, the 100 weight jacket was a much better choice for that weather.

It's definitely kind of niche piece, but if a person did a lot of early season hunting or lived in a warmer clime, I think it could be the moving insulation piece to have.

I ordered a 60 UL a 100 and a 150 as we dont have a dealer where I live. Im struggling on the 60. It seems so thin that I wonder what the use case scenario is? Im thinking summer camping and maybe early September elk. I typically wear a core lt hoody base layer and I guess I could drop that and just use a tshirt under the UL. I think it would have to be real high exertion as the temperature drops or else youd be pretty cold. I love the deep chest zip for venting but worry it wont cover enough conditions.

I love the 100 and think the 150 is overkill FWIW. The 100 has been serving me well on a late season hunt. It is very versatile.

I am intrigued by the different weights Of insulation.

I have and have become a fan of my 2 arrowhead pieces which are 90 weight.

The idea of something lighter weight like the 60 with the same properties is intriguing. The 150 might be a little warm and I don’t know if it would be too much insulation for any reasonable amount of exertion. Seems like I might be pulling it off and on like a puffy In all but the coldest conditions.

FWIW - I noticed they are selling blankets in alpha insulation For $85. They must have ordered too Much of the stuff.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Compared to the peloton 97 hoodie how does the warmth compare?

Use the 97 all the time but it’s just so fragile.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Comparable to the heavyweight fleece then?

Is that 30d face comparable to a grid fleece in durability?

Probably twice as breathable?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d say close to the Heavyweight fleece in warmth.

I don’t know if it’s any more breathable, but the Alpha Direct moves moisture better in my experience.

I’d say close to the Heavyweight fleece in warmth.

I don’t know if it’s any more breathable, but the Alpha Direct moves moisture better in my experience.
Im so confused about this ul 60 piece and the ambient 100 full zip hoodie maybe you can help. I thought the ambient 100 full zip hoodie was the equivalent in weight/packability and sort of replacement in your kit to the sitka heavyweght hoody but it breathes better and is warmer? But it sounds like in this thread and others it's more of a colder weather piece instead and this ul 60 piece is more equal to the hw hoody? Currently use the sitka hw hoody hiking in 40-60 degree weathr and was hoping the ambient would perform similar. If it's any colder I put in an uncompaghre or kelvin aerolite jacket. Is this a good fit for the 100 or 60?

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a sweat hog, like I have to pack electrolyte salt pills for California A zone black tail, or any 40 mile backpacking trip to avoid leg cramps. Just thinking about putting on a 60lb pack makes me sweat.

This might be the ticket for moisture Managment with a black Diamond alpine start.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im so confused about this ul 60 piece and the ambient 100 full zip hoodie maybe you can help. I thought the ambient 100 full zip hoodie was the equivalent in weight/packability and sort of replacement in your kit to the sitka heavyweght hoody but it breathes better and is warmer? But it sounds like in this thread and others it's more of a colder weather piece instead and this ul 60 piece is more equal to the hw hoody? Currently use the sitka hw hoody hiking in 40-60 degree weathr and was hoping the ambient would perform similar. If it's any colder I put in an uncompaghre or kelvin aerolite jacket. Is this a good fit for the 100 or 60?

IMHO

40-60 degrees weather- I would definitely say the UL would be the piece I would choose

20-40 degrees- I think either piece would work well, closer to 20 probably the 100 would get a slight edge, closer to 40- the UL

below 20 degrees- definitely the 100 (unless you are doing a $hit ton of steep climbing and/or other very high aerobic stuff)

these are ballpark figures, obviously not set in stone- too many individual differences in metabolism, too many differences in environmental conditions, too many differences in the type of hunting to put any exact figures, but I think (based on my experience) these will at least get you in the ballpark

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd agree with @mtwarden but I run a little colder and can stand to use the Ambient in some higher temperatures, mainly due to how well I can dry out underneath it/breathability. For me personally (I only have a 100 weight hoody) I can tolerate using it up to ~50F depending on how fast I am moving.

TXCO

WKR
^ That a good plan to order all three :)

I've found the UL to be pretty good with temps down to ~ mid 20's (if windy it definitely needs a wind layer, as do the other weights)) when on the move. For us, that would normally covers most of the early season stuff (or even a warm mid-season).

The last week of our elk season temps were starting in the single digits to low teens, the 100 weight jacket was a much better choice for that weather.

It's definitely kind of niche piece, but if a person did a lot of early season hunting or lived in a warmer clime, I think it could be the moving insulation piece to have.

Ha well Im not keeping all three… just had to try them.

I do agree the 60 would be nice in the summer and maybe early fall. Im struggling on where to draw the temp line for it vs just use the 100 for everything. The 150 is for sure going back.

TXCO

WKR

Id definitely say the 100 is closer to the hvy wgt than the 60. The 100 may be a little less warm than the hvy wgt because of breathability in my opinion.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka dropped another Ambient hoody. They are calling it the ambient 100 jacket. To me it seems like its just the hoody with a full zip, Got any info on this @Mark at EXO
I am curious to see what the pros and cons to full zip/half zip is in this piece. Any opinions from guys on here?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a ton performance wise- full zip is easier on/off and you can vent the jacket a little more.

If they are the same price I’d get the full zip, if there’s a large disparity in price, I’d get the half zip.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am curious to see what the pros and cons to full zip/half zip is in this piece. Any opinions from guys on here?
Full zip also has the hand pockets and will obviously weigh a tad more.

I prefer the half zip for the simplicity, and also like keeping zippers/bulk out from under my pack hipbelt (when possible).

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older but like brand new 1/2 zip Sitka Fanatic hoody that I bought from my hunting buddy that is grid fleece, how much different is the Ambient 60 UL? It's getting hard for me to keep up with Sitkas recent additions as I have been looking for a heavy weight hoody, either Sitka or SG. My thought is my current system for 1st season rifle in October is Sitka core base layer and the Fanatic hoody with a SG Dehaviland jacket on cold mornings/wind/weather but might go with a later/colder season next year in Colorado so looking for a heavier/warmer mid-layer. I was thinking of the Ambient hoody. My body tends to be colder so I'm looking to be warm. Thanks for any help and wisdom.