Sitka Jacket decision

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd get some thoughts on this. First and foremost, I hunt temperatures from 15-70 degrees with little precipitation but decent amounts of wind. I cover a lot of ground/elevation to get to the areas I hunt as I'm mainly limited to weekends, lots of in/out. My current setup (when needed) is a stormfront lite on top of a traverse hoody and a kelvin lite vest when it gets colder. I like that it's light, packable. Downside is that I think it's too loud for archery and breathability is soso. Really wish it had pit zips.

I've been considering changing it up to a jetstream. On the paper, the pro's seem to be quiet, breaks wind, durable, can handle minor showers. Downside, weight, and "pre"insulated vs a thin layer. Then there is the jetstream lighter, but no pit zips and no hood, both being features I really like in a jacket. Yes, the contrail wind shirt would be another option I guess but my concern would be breathability/no zips.

Right now I'm leaning towards the regular jetstream but would if anyone has experience with the two, I'd love to get your thoughts.

Rucker61

WKR
I changed my gear all around this year. Archery will be merino plus Ascent Jacket, with puffy and rainshell for bad weather. Still thinking about picking up the Jetstream Lite vest.

Late season will be merino plus Traverse plus Jetstream, with puffy and rainshell for bad weather. Last year I had the 90%, Kelvin Lite and Jetstream vests. The only one that saw much use was the Kelvin Lite puffy. It was a pretty warm third season.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, no stores here carry sitka so it's tough for me to get a feel for things. Would you say the 90 is identical to the jetstream in terms of material/insulation? I've read that it seems slightly more insulated. Reason I ask is that I've had a chance to try the 90.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would go with the 90%. It is quieter, lighter and more breathable. The only thing it don't do we'll is buck a cold wind. But the storefront you already have, worn over the top would solve that problem.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 90% in mountain mimicry pattern, so not sure they changed the fabric, but the only thing that jacket was good for was early season breathable jacket for when there was a little chill in the air. Didn't block the wind or the rain at all.

I also have a jetstream and wore it 90% of the time vs the 90% jacket. Only thing the jetstream doesn't do well is breath. Pit zips help and it is wearable in a wider range of temps and weather conditions than the older 90% jacket. Much more water resistant than my 90% was. Bucked the wind 100% better. I sweat when wearing it on the move though.

The newer 90% jackets might be better, I don't know...

I know the fabric weight of the Traverse shirts changed from Mountain Mimicry to Optifade don't know about others.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, still leaning towards the jet stream, really like the hood and the weight difference between the 90 and the jet stream is minor.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd not trade off the pit zips of the Jetstream for the Lite. You will love the quietness of the Jetstream compared to the Stormfront Lite. I have a 90% and a Jetstream and if I could only keep one it would be the Jetstream...you could call it the 95% Jacket. Keep the SFL in the pack for the occasional downpour.

I have the Jetstream jacket and couldn't be happier with it. Super quiet, great cut, completely windproof and somewhat water resistant. It is absolutely my go to jacket in the fall for a very wide range of conditions. When it gets cold, I put an Arc Teryx Fission puffy underneath and it turns into a fortress. When it gets wet, I pull over my dewpoint jacket.

Steve O summed it up perfect, it is definitely a 95% jacket!!

kyle1112

WKR
love my Jetstream jacket, I am a hot blooded person so it ends up coming off unless its super cold or I am glassing. i was thinking of washing it in Nikwax to make it a little more "water proof", not sure if i wanna risk that though. Has anyone done that?