Sitka Kelvin Lite Down Jacket and Pant Review, By Tony Trietch

Do you think this is actually an improvement other than packability in comparison to the previous generation? The coast is super wet an unforgiving

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good review (y) How would you say the jacket compares in warmth to a traditional down jacket that has, say, 5 oz of 850+ and no synthetic blend? Thinking Kuiu SD Pro, Stone Glacier, Skre, etc.

Thanks, I am not exactly sure of the amount of down in those other jackets. I used the Kuiu SD hooded jacket for a few years and I would say it is not as warm as the Kelvin Lite but it is lighter. It's also nowhere near as durable, the SD was very thin skinned and I had to be very careful with the shell in any brush.

Do you think this is actually an improvement other than packability in comparison to the previous generation? The coast is super wet an unforgiving

I think there are many features that are serious improvements. This jacket is warmer than the Kelvin Lite Hoody and weighs less. It fills a spot right between the Kelvin Lite hoody and the Kelvin Down WS Hoody.

If I was hunting primarily on the pacific coast in BC where you hunt, I would go synthetic. With that said, these have a blended insulation intended to work when wet better than standard water phobic down puffies.

skierhs

WKR
im Interested to see where they take this technology and to what other pieces and lines they bring this to in the long run.

Swan

FNG
im Interested to see where they take this technology and to what other pieces and lines they bring this to in the long run.
Definitely. I don’t see a need for these pieces in what I do, but I’m looking forward to field reports and whatever comes next from Sitka. They clearly know mountains (as demonstrated by their products, not just the marketing fluff), and they're not afraid to think outside the box. These new pieces demonstrate both characteristics well.

black525

WKR
Definitely. I don’t see a need for these pieces in what I do, but I’m looking forward to field reports and whatever comes next from Sitka. They clearly know mountains (as demonstrated by their products, not just the marketing fluff), and they're not afraid to think outside the box. These new pieces demonstrate both characteristics well.

Not sure they would expand to other garments in the big game line but I hope they incorporate the new insulation into the whitetail line. Decreasing the weight of the insulated pieces(Celsius/Fanatic) without decreasing warmth would be a win in my book.

Thanks for the review Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am not exactly sure of the amount of down in those other jackets. I used the Kuiu SD hooded jacket for a few years and I would say it is not as warm as the Kelvin Lite but it is lighter. It's also nowhere near as durable, the SD was very thin skinned and I had to be very careful with the shell in any brush.

I think there are many features that are serious improvements. This jacket is warmer than the Kelvin Lite Hoody and weighs less. It fills a spot right between the Kelvin Lite hoody and the Kelvin Down WS Hoody.

If I was hunting primarily on the pacific coast in BC where you hunt, I would go synthetic. With that said, these have a blended insulation intended to work when wet better than standard water phobic down puffies.
The Kuiu Super Down (non pro version) from a few years ago only had 2 or 3 ounces of down I believe. Did you have that or the current SD Pro? The current Kuiu SD Pro has 5 ish ounces, same with the Stone Glacier and the Skre.

Thanks for the info!

I'm glad to see the jacket is a solid piece, hope they make it in a solid. I use my Kelvin lite hoodie for western BG, waterfowl and whitetail, no one camo pattern blends in every where but brown does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
How are the forearms/cuffs? The tight forearms and cuffs drove me nuts on the kelvin lite hoody.

Good question, I should have covered that in the review. I too would often find the KLH forearms tight if I had more than a single layer underneath. The KLDH is sized larger in the wrist and forearms. I have worn it with a ton of layers under it and no restriction.

M1KL83

FNG
I would really like to see, if/how much the Kelvin Lite Down Jacket really compresses/packs better than the Kelvin Light Hoody.

Here's a photo with the Lite Down size Large compressed in its hood. I don't have the regular Lite Hoody for a direct comparison but hope this photo can help. It should be noted that I can compress it further when using both hands; I'd say it compresses a tad smaller than a Nalgene bottle. I used the hood instead of hand pocket b/c my understanding is that the regular Lite Hoody doesn't share that feature of stuff into hand pocket packing.
It's an awesome piece of gear and I'm happy I pulled the trigger; the only downfall I can think of is that it's not offered in a solid color as of yet.
Fall cannot come soon enough!
20200612_171013.jpg