Sitka Vest - What did I just buy?

FBw2Hunt

FNG
I just bought a used Sitka Vest. It was called a Kelvin AeroLite but there are some differences from what I'm seeing online, so I thought I would ask the experts. It could be just a different year than images I've found. Tag says 2022.
Differences I'm seeing
- no external chest pocket, but has an internal pocket
- trim around arm holes is camo, not matching solid inner material like I see online
- inner collar is soft fleece like material, not shiny slick material like the rest of the inner material
- weight comes in at 16.4 oz for size large. Sitka lists the AeroLite at 9.8 oz (unknown size). This is a big difference!

I was after a light weight, active mid layer w/o paying new price for the Ambient vest. Overall, I like the fit and it seems warm. Maybe too warm. Definitely heavier than I was after. I'm just wondering what I really received? Other than differences listed, it looks like the Aerolite.
Vest Front.JPG Vest Back.JPG
Thanks,
FB

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you post a photo of the tag? Sometimes there’s one on the lower inside. From that weight it sounds like a kelvin.

OP
F

FBw2Hunt

FNG
Just went for a quick walk with it... definitely warm. Seems to fit big like it is intended for an outer layer.

IMG_20240520_205650432.jpgIMG_20240520_205616406_HDR.jpg

Thanks for your help.

FB

OP
F

FBw2Hunt

FNG
Found another tag under the upper label.
SA-2012-A

I saw the tag when I was first checking it out and read it as 2022! Only 10 years off.

FB

Assuming you bought it at a good price, it should be a good piece for you. I have a 2015ish kelvin light that I still use. I don’t feel the ned to upgrade just to shave a few ounces.

In my experience, synthetic insulation ages well when stored and cared for properly (washing and drying are rough on garments). Some of my older pieces aren’t as warm or lofty as they once were. I assume that is some combination of the material breaking down with time and mechanically through use and washing.