Sitka vs. First Lite for Whitetails?

I really appreciate all the responses. This helps tremendously. I really prefer the Subalpine pattern for the terrain that I’ll be hunting in instead of the Elevated if I do go with Sitka.
I realize the items in the Sitka Whitetail line is much quieter than that in the Big Game line, which has all the subalpine patterns.
For those of you that have used the big game items, how quiet were they? I think I’ll be able to layer enough to stay warm, but I am concerned about the quietness.
The hardshells wouldn’t be any good unless it was very windy or heavy rain. Too noisy. The outer wear in the big game line with wind stopper and a softer surface are better (like the soft shells), but will not be totally silent when you draw. For bowhunting I would 100% stick to the whitetail line for your outer layer as they are much quieter. You could use a big game soft shell or other insulating layers underneath

fwafwow

WKR
I'm considering some performance hunting gear and I've really narrowed it down to either Sitka or First Lite. Just between these 2 brands, which do you prefer and why? I am not interested in their base layers as I know which direction I'm going there. I'm curious to know which of the 2 are quieter and warmer. I'll be bowhunting from a stand in TN for whitetails for a majority of my hunting and I'll be going with either the Sitka Subalpine pattern or the First Like Specter pattern. Any input would be much appreciated
I’ve got a good bit of both. But for my coldest sits I wear Sitka Fanatic bibs and Incinerator jacket, as well as the thickets Sitka hat, hand muff and neck gaiter.

Bump79

WKR
To be 100% honest... neither is "needed" for stand hunting. Most of my first lite, Kuiu and other peices aren't designed for the Whitetail woods and I find them too loud.

Sitka has more pieces that are specifically designed for whitetail. But honestly I'd have a tough time swallowing that pill to pay for Sitka for stationary hunting. If you have cash to blow then right on. Is it better? Absolutely. It is 3x better to justify to 3x price? Not in my opinion.

If you are an active mobile hunter or have regular western hunts planned then I could see justifying the price. Reality is you can be more targeted with your gear and get just as high quality stuff for half the price.

LostArra

WKR
The Sitka clothing is on an entirely different level for quality and durability than FL. They fit better, hold up better, and there are just small details with most all of the Sitka pieces that show someone really paid attention when designing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 100%

I abandoned FL early on due to bizarre sizing issues and I did not want to deal with returns.
I don't have a Sitka uniform but the pieces I own are durable, fit well and function as intended.

I have tons of both and Sitka is just better made higher quality stuff than First Lite.

None of the Sitka whitetail line comes in Sub Alpine by the way.

If you want the most versatile set I’d get the Stratus jacket and pants, Celsius Midi, and Fanatic vest. If it’s really cold I throw all that on base layers with the Fanatic Vest over it all and it’s great in the tree.

LostArra

WKR
To be 100% honest... neither is "needed" for stand hunting. Most of my first lite, Kuiu and other peices aren't designed for the Whitetail woods and I find them too loud.

Sitka has more pieces that are specifically designed for whitetail. But honestly I'd have a tough time swallowing that pill to pay for Sitka for stationary hunting. If you have cash to blow then right on. Is it better? Absolutely. It is 3x better to justify to 3x price? Not in my opinion.

If you are an active mobile hunter or have regular western hunts planned then I could see justifying the price. Reality is you can be more targeted with your gear and get just as high quality stuff for half the price.
Good points but between the classifieds, end of season sales and camofire I didn't realize anyone paid full price for Sitka.

longjoshr

FNG
I can't speak to First Lite, but if you're set on Sitka and Subalpine, I'd look at the Traverse Cold Weather Hoody as a later season outer layer. Probably the quietest heavy piece I have of theirs, and awesome in a treestand. For early season, the Apex hoody and pants would be a good choice as well.

Agree with some other posts here that some of their pieces aren't as quiet as whitetail specific, but pants in particular never really bothered me, since you're not walking. I wear my timberline's in a tree, and the deer don't seem to care. Totally agree with your preference of Subalpine to Elevated, but I'd say the difference in the deers' perception of the two patterns is negligible. I hunt in m Subalpine stuff because I wanted something to go west with as well.

I can't speak to First Lite, but if you're set on Sitka and Subalpine, I'd look at the Traverse Cold Weather Hoody as a later season outer layer. Probably the quietest heavy piece I have of theirs, and awesome in a treestand. For early season, the Apex hoody and pants would be a good choice as well.

Agree with some other posts here that some of their pieces aren't as quiet as whitetail specific, but pants in particular never really bothered me, since you're not walking. I wear my timberline's in a tree, and the deer don't seem to care. Totally agree with your preference of Subalpine to Elevated, but I'd say the difference in the deers' perception of the two patterns is negligible. I hunt in m Subalpine stuff because I wanted something to go west with as well.

Can't disagree with any of the above on stuff that would work fine for stand hunting. I use my western pants alone in early season as part of a layering system under warm bibs in late season.

That said, choosing a camo pattern over holistic function for something that's just for whitetail doesn't make any sense to me. The whitetail stuff is better for whitetail hunting. Paying a premium for sitka on garments that don't fit the hunting application well? Why?

I have a bunch of Sitka and FL garments. In general sitka is going to be more durable. FL whitetail stuff is notably less expensive than Sitka stuff though. I'm happy with the FL sanctuary parka and bibs with the exception that they are not great in the wind. Sanctuary set is overkill for TN though.

Yoder

WKR
Does either brand make water proof pants that are dead quiet stalking through brush? Something you wouldn't get too hot when it was in the 40-50's and wet. The stuff I have is either too loud or wool.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I really appreciate all the responses. This helps tremendously. I really prefer the Subalpine pattern for the terrain that I’ll be hunting in instead of the Elevated if I do go with Sitka.
I realize the items in the Sitka Whitetail line is much quieter than that in the Big Game line, which has all the subalpine patterns.
For those of you that have used the big game items, how quiet were they? I think I’ll be able to layer enough to stay warm, but I am concerned about the quietness.
To your question, I've used the KL Hoody & Mountain Jacket as top outer layers bow and gun hunting whitetail. I mostly stand hunt (as opposed to hunting in a blind/shooting house for whitetail), and under these conditions I'm not too concerned about my lower half making noise, even when I'm in a hang on stand ~15' off the ground. I've bow hunted whitetails (moreso in the early season, Aug - mid Oct in the South) w/the mountain pant (dirt/subalpine). No issues at all with sound on the pants, obviously, as I don't really do much movement with my feet/legs when I'm trying to go to full draw.

That said, I have found (just my opinion) the big game stuff is a bit "swishy" from Sitka, but I think Sitka's stuff has really fit me well, and as long as I'm careful with my movement, the "swishy" big game items (which I know isn't designed for whitetail stand hunting) haven't spooked whitetails. Yet anyway.

For whatever reason, probably my own issue (?), I had a lot of issues finding the right fit w/FirstLite (which I really love, just to be clear). But for outer layers, the Sitka big game gear is a bit (emphasis added), louder compared to the Sitka whitetail lineup, and the cataylst from FL and the Solitude from FL (those are the only outerlayers I've tried bow hunting whitetails from FL). But truly think some of that can come down to the hunter. If you're unaware of how loud you can be, regardless of what you're wearing, it doesn't really matter.

I'll say the whitetail lineup from Sitka I've found to be a great fit, and I've been patient the last 2-3 yrs to buy items here and there on RS and AT. Personally can't afford full price (and 25-40% off for relatively unused gear, if you find the right stuff, is more palatable)...but I truly like the Sitka whitetail lineup. Haven't been disappointed yet with the mid-to-late season gear I've bought, and like I said, the fit has been $. I'm 5'11'' 165 lbs and L Sitka has mostly been a great fit. With the FL solitude, I got the Medium which was large in the stomach, then got the Small and the sleeves were too short, then sold the Small for a huge discount for a jacket I never hunted in. I also have a little bit of gear from a lot of companies, not just mainstream hunting companies either (sitka, FL, kuiu, king's), but outdoor gear companies in general (those you'd find at REI). I have found that each company checks a certain box (for example, I love firstlite merino base layers), but some may not be that great IMO. @Lowg08 had some sound advice, just do some homework and do your best to try before you buy...then find what works for you. Everyone's different

Last edited:
Big Sitka fan here, but last purchase was a First Lite insulated jacket. Super quiet, and arms are form fitting so they don't get in the way when bowhunting in the cold. And super warm. Love it!

Brent21

FNG
Crazy Coot where in TN? I’m in West TN and I have several of the FL outer wear listed if you would like to see them.

PorkrollEgg&Cheese

Lil-Rokslider
I mix and match. First lite furance is a great baselayer for cold weather. I have also run the corrugate guide set in early season. Late season you cant beat the fanatic set so long as it isn't raining. The sanctuary set probably has the upper hand for wet weather.

OP
C

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy Coot where in TN? I’m in West TN and I have several of the FL outer wear listed if you would like to see them.
I really appreciate the offer! I’m in middle TN in Macon County

@Crazy Coot I know you said you aren’t interested in hearing about what layering system to use because you already have that base covered, but I would like to reiterate that if you don’t have a good base layer that pull moisture away while keeping you warm, I don’t care if you’re wearing first lite or Sitka, you’ll get cold.

I agree with what everyone mentioned above, I wear 100% merino base layers and I believe they make all the difference. My merino layers like most others who have posted happen to be first lite. I’m on my 4th season of base layers and they still are in great shape, no holes. I wear these every sit/ hunt, which is minimum of 15 sits plus 5 days out west. The furnace base layers live up to their name.

I have the first lite sanctuary system and really like it. It insulates well and keeps me warm and I’m typically always cold. The new material in my opinion cuts the wind well. I also love all of their pockets and zippers. They’re all in useful spots in my opinion. I will agree as mentioned above, the kit link system does allow some heat to escape. My solution was to just leave it zippered up and put hand warmers in the pockets and it worked fine. I don’t like wearing muffs.

I can’t speak to Sitka as I don’t have any, in fact I have 100% first lite stuff. I know camo pattern doesn’t matter, but I hate sitkas. Sorry Sitka fans Lol. There is no doubt Sitka is a burr magnet as well, but I do think they cut the wind better with gore Tex. I think if you have bitter cold temps (teens/ single digits) and high winds (20+) then I think Sitka has a clear edge. But all you need is an an extremely thin puffy to run underneath an FL system (that you can also wear out west) and you’ll be fine. For the price and what you get, I think first lite has an edge. If money doesn’t matter get the Sitka system. OR get both and see what you like best!

I agree with what others said above…. Buy some outer layers used or on a good deal and run it for a season. I think the solitude system or stratus system would treat you well.

either route you go I don’t think you’ll be too upset. Each set has their pros and cons.

If I were only a still hunter in a windy, cold state I'd go the Sitka route for the windstopping properties. The Sitka whitetail pattern is terrible IMO. I still have yet to find an area where it even comes close to being "camoflauge" before December. For my needs the First Lite Solitude is a better fit. I find it to be lighter, more breathable and more comfortable. I'm an active hunter. Long walks to stands, moving stands midday, lots of mobile hunting with stand on my back. I don't sweat to death in the First Lite and the option to vent the chest through the hand warmer openings and vent legs through a full zip bib is very beneficial to what I do.

Last edited:
I was making this decision 3 years ago when I started doing a bit more stand hunting. After looking at the options I went with a solitude set. I have worn it from the 50s to teens with some layers. It does OK in the wind and I have also used it for water fowl and turkey as well as squirrel hunting.

the have held up pretty well and work or me.

I I hunted a place that was colder and more wind, I might have gone Sitka Fantic but ultimately the fact that I owned some FL Fusion pieces, the versatility of the camo pattern and the 40% difference in cost won me over To First Lite.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered some FL furnace base layers and the cut/fit of them was all wrong for me. Really wanted those thick base layers for cold sits but there's no way they'd work.

The small Henley looked like a dress and the medium pants fit circumference wise but were way too long. I'm 5'7" 165lbs athletic build.

I've been happy with all my sitka stuff so far. I actually like using the subalpine stuff early season.