Sitka vs. First Lite for Whitetails?

I ordered some FL furnace base layers and the cut/fit of them was all wrong for me. Really wanted those thick base layers for cold sits but there's no way they'd work.

The small Henley looked like a dress and the medium pants fit circumference wise but were way too long. I'm 5'7" 165lbs athletic build.

I've been happy with all my sitka stuff so far. I actually like using the subalpine stuff early season.
Interesting. I’m 5’8 165 and wear larges and they fit perfect.

I have zero experience with Sitka. Living in nw lower mi it gets cold. Furnace base layer and solitude set have been a very successful combo for me down to negative wind chills and all day sits. I have thrown a puffy jacket in there as well. Snow doesn’t stick to the solitude and briars don’t tear them up.

gclubb02

FNG
Does either brand make water proof pants that are dead quiet stalking through brush? Something you wouldn't get too hot when it was in the 40-50's and wet. The stuff I have is either too loud or wool.
The sitka downpour stuff is pretty legit. Have the jacket and pants and routinely wear them while busting thru wet laurel and stay dry. They don’t breathe very well but thats to be expected for fully waterproof clothing imo. Definitely as quiet as you are going to get in a waterproof set as well

Last edited:

Jazzbo66

FNG
Really depends on what your looking to do and your style. FL has some good all around options but Sitka is more specific to stand or ground. I have and love both for different things. You really can’t go wrong with Sitka. It’s the only one with true windproof.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I had a few first lite outer pieces. I hunt north Ga. The wind cut right thru it it seemed. I kept my FL base layers but went with kuiu outers this past season and I stayed a lot warmer with less bulk. I do a lot of hiking on public land so I ditched the soft shells and went with puffys. Warmth to weight is a no brainer. I did keep my FL Uncompahgre. My favorites piece by them. The uncompahgre is Basiclly silent. The kuiu is a little noisy for bow hunting but I use a rifle mainly when the temps are that cold. I did bow hunt in it late season and killed a nice buck.

Wrapping up late season here in PA, although I bought them 3 years ago, this was the first time I put my solitudes to “heavy use”. Probably 20+ days in the field with a mix of still hunting and stand sitting for whitetail and a duck hunting trip.

- mine are the 1.0 and though not windproof, they did well in wind, including 20* and 20mph gusts.
- temp ranges from 4-40* with some layering is very doable. I had to vent when moving at 20* and needed some insulation layers for lower temps but it worked. I sized everything up f extra room to make this possible.
- I wish the jacket had cargo pockets. hand warmer pockets are great and the bib has good pockets but the jacket alone isn’t great for carrying odds and ends.
- surprisingly durable. My season ended with a long nasty track through some brush that I expected to tear up the solitudes. Pleased to report no major issues.

Final thought: I will probably run these until they die. However, if someone came out with a solitude or fanatic equivalent with water proof elbow, knee and butt panels, i would definitely upgrade.

I have owned both the Fanatic sets from Sitka and the Sanctuary set from First Lite. My opinions:

Comfort/fit- First lite
Warmth/windblock- Sitka by a lot
Noise- slight advantage First Lite
Camo patterns- First lite
Weight- Draw
Functionality/design- Sitka
Durability- Sitka

Coop12

FNG
As a TN resident and avid whitetail hunter, I’ve really liked the Sitka traverse pants and core lightweight hoody for early season. I usually will carry in a Jetstream vest in case temperature drops. I do prefer the subalpine pattern but I wouldn’t commit to only subalpine. Sitka’s Stratus bibs/jacket are perfect for TN crazy weather changes. I’ve worn my Stratus bibs with just a lightweight merino base in 70-60 degrees and also worn them with equinox midi pants and heavy base layers when below 20*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czimm

FNG
The sitka downpour stuff is pretty legit. Have the jacket and pants and routinely wear them while busting thru wet laurel and stay dry. They don’t breathe very well but thats to be expected for fully waterproof clothing imo. Definitely as quiet as you are going to get in a waterproof set as well
Hey gclub, sorry for doing this. but I want to buy your AGC harness and I am too new here to message you. please email me [email protected]. sorry everyone else reading this...

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to detour a little bit with something the OP didn’t ask, especially for my first post and being a newbie but, how does Kuiu compare to the other two in all areas discussed?

I prefer the comfort and fit of my first lite stuff but the sitka gear outpreforms in terms of warmth and wind. The celsius midi is probably the best piece of whitetail gear I own.

Kholt456

FNG
First Lite tends to be quieter. However I’ve never used the Whitetail specific clothing from Sitka.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it simple. Sitka Stratus and Fanatic. Warm, quiet and durable.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Between those two I'd choose Sitka. The quality is noticeably better. All my firstlite stuff is junk. I won't buy any more.