Skinny Foot / High Arch / Plantar Fasciitis - What Boot?

Like the title says......starting to suffer from Plantar Fasciitis and trying to deal with it through Insoles and new boots. I am experimenting with Super Feet Insoles but they don't always fit into the boots that I want.....and they don't always fill the boot to the next half size....any suggestions?

Blessings~

Last edited:
Birkenstock insoles have been the best for me. They are half length insoles and are fairly high. For boots, you really just want a stiff shank. For plantar fasciitis, you need to stretch, ice, anti inflammatory or volterin cream, stretch…repeat.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I buy Superfeet Green Wide insoles and trim them down to the width and length of the original boot insoles. Great fit and no slop. If your feet aren't wide, then try one size up in whatever superfeet insole you prefer. The caveat is that the arch support is proportionally larger with increasing insole size.

I've had bad (as in debilitating) plantar fasciitis (and Achilles tendonitis at the same time) in the past from running with ice spikes on my shoes and was able to resolve it by:
1. Regular rolling of plantar facia on a lacrosse ball
2. Stretching toes to improve dorsiflexion
3. Stretching calf/hamstring - weighted Jefferson Curl stretch with wedge/ramp under toes
4. Strengthening tibialis muscles to balance out over-worked calves.
5. Strengthening Achilles tendon with weighted eccentric calf raises and isometric holds
6. Stretching calf/Achilles tendon with isometric wall stretches and "ass to grass" lunges, pushing the lead knee forwards of the toes.
7. Working out and doing the above exercises barefoot for maximum strengthening/stretching.

All of these exercises and stretches will also strengthen muscles and tendons in the foot, resulting in a "stronger" arch, lessening dependence on a cushy or overly-supportive insole for foot comfort.

Last edited:
OP
Huntingfarandwide
I buy Superfeet Green Wide insoles and trim them down to the width and length of the original boot insoles. Great fit and no slop. If your feet aren't wide, then try one size up in whatever superfeet insole you prefer. The caveat is that the arch support is proportionally larger with increasing insole size.

I've had bad (as in debilitating) plantar fasciitis (and Achilles tendonitis at the same time) in the past from running with ice spikes on my shoes and was able to resolve it by:
3. Stretching calf/hamstring - weighted Jefferson Curl stretch with wedge/ramp under toes
5. Strengthening Achilles tendon with weighted eccentric calf raises and isometric holds
6. Stretching calf/Achilles tendon with isometric wall stretches and "ass to grass" lunges, pushing the lead knee forwards of the toes.
Thank you!

Mcnasty

FNG

Every thing Andouille said about the rolling stretching etc often times it takes a combination of things to resolve it. Also I have found discipline and once recovered, maintenance is key. I used super feet for years I now do the soft sole insoles they feel like the highest part of the arch is a bit farther back to me than the super feet. link below. I wish you luck the pain can be amazing when it bad.

ElPollo

WKR
I don’t tend to find any of the Superfeet insoles to be particularly high arch. You may want to look for another option. I’d suggest trying a running shoe shop. Some of these have those foot scanners to help id the best insole option for you.

On narrow boots, I don’t have narrow feet, but Scarpas have always run too narrow for me.

Weldor

WKR
Walk fit are great, come with 3 levels of support. I crushed my right foor years ago, tried them all these work. Chrispi boots run narrow and have good support imho. Ebay is usually the best price for Walk fit insoles. Regards.

I would call sheep feet and talk to them. Orthotics are better than insoles and worth the money.

Give Schnees Beartooth II a try. I have what you have but zero arch.

I have sheep feet equivalent custom orthotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear_

FNG
The bones in my feet grew incorrectly and resemble a “Z” hence the term Z foot. I live in near constant foot pain and cannot recommend custom orthotics enough for foot issues. I got some super nice ones from a podiatrist but I’m thinking of Sheep Feet for my hunting boots. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them and a lot of folks swear by them. Having them custom made to your foot will help support your foot in the correct way to help with whatever problems you’re having.

And like others have said above, stretching and strengthening helps heaps.

In my humble opinion, insoles are a waste of money and don’t actually solve issues. I would invest the money in your feet. After all, you’re not going anywhere without them…

Yoder

WKR
I just listened to a book called Born to run. In the book, they say the number one cause of foot problems is shoes. The more cushion and support, the worse they are for your feet. They cause the muscles in your feet to atrophy. A doctor in the book recommended walking barefoot and minimalist shoes to help with plantar fasciitis. In the book, they looked at when injuries spiked in our history. Turns out it was when Nike introduced the first cushioned running shoe. The soft shoes allow you to run incorrectly. It's impossible to run heel first barefoot. When there's no cushion, it hurts. The pain self corrects bad form. I'm going to test this whole theory out. I just got a pair of minimalist shoes and I'm going to slowly start wearing them to see if my foot and knee pain improves.

UncleBone

WKR
I have long, skinny, and fairly flat feet. Size 12. But I have noticed the pair of crispi briksdals fit way better than the kenetreks I had did. Tried out some zamberlans, and they were way too big. definitely need to switch insoles from stock in the crispis, but theyre still pretty comfortable out of the box.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I too would recommend looking into barefoot shoes. I had bad lower back pain before I switched to barefoot shoes now it’s gone. My feet are noticeably more muscular and my vertical jump has increased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
plantar fasciitis.... that condition sucks big time! Had it a few years ago and my physio did acupuncture on it. Cleared up in days! Have you tried that?

Find yourself a good pedorthist and have a pair of custom orthotics made. Yes they are expensive, but when you wear them every day they make a world of difference. Hunters will spend hundreds of dollars on all kinds of gear they use occasionally, but are unwilling to purchase something that will aide them daily. I have tried every type of store bought insoles, and they pale in comparison compared to something made specifically for your individual foot. There is a break in time for custom orthotics for your feet/body to adjust to they way they should feel. Most folks fail to allow for the adjustment and think they have wasted their money. Once your body is accustomed to the change you'll wonder why you didn't have them made sooner.