sleep + recovery supplement?

I don't sleep well in the woods. More mental than physical I think, not uncomfortable, I just don't sleep well. In the past I have taken tylenol pm to sleep through the night on hunts but that I'd imagine isn't very healthy to keep doing again and again. I don't do well with melatonin either, gives me crazy vivid dreams that I am not a fan of. Any suggestions for alternatives? Maybe something that aids in recovery like cbd type supps?

Antares

WKR
I don’t like melatonin either. Valerian works better for me. Trazodone is pretty harmless if you’re looking at prescription drugs.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
A stiff dose of magnesium supplements generally helps me sleep. Melatonin can be a wild ride for me as well, so I try to avoid regular use.

ROKnROAL

FNG
I was gonna suggest G-Spring by Magnum cause I’ve been using it for a bit and will swear by it, gets me to sleep quick, muscle recovery is great, and more energy upon waking, but I does have melatonin in it. CBD sounds like what you would be after.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
zanax will get you to sleep.....

Maybe you need to camp out more in your backcountry shelter? If all you use it for is a few days a year your probably just not used to it....ymmv.

WoodBow

WKR
I take the 3 things the Andrew Huberman recommends. Magnesium Threonate, Apigenin, and L-Theanine. I order them off amazon. The brand I get is Double Woods.

I have been a poor sleeper for all of my adult life. I just wake up a lot and toss and turn. I'm talking like 12 times a night or more. That's a lot of sleep interruption. Now I might remember waking up one time per night. It isn't really stuff to make you fall asleep though. Melatonin will help with that and is very short acting. It has a very short half-life.

I have taken this stuff for about 4 months now. This year will be my first year to see if they improve how i sleep on the mountain.

Poser

WKR
“Midnight Drops” are an effective CBD based product.

Like others said, magnesium can help. Melatonin, though you need to experiment with the dosage. Some people take 1 mg, some take 10. If you need it to fall asleep, take it a couple of hours before bed, to stay asleep, take it when you go to bed. Valerian root, chamomile tea…. A combination of several. Experiment with what works for you and sleep in your tent as often as possible so that you’re comfortable as in your own bed.

TheHammer

WKR
I run 1st phorm night t every night I can get to bed before 1 am. I only take 1 of the recommended 2 as I get up at 506. It’s changed my life!

Melatonin works well for me. It does give me some pretty wild dreams but I don’t mind that part haha

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the complete opposite. Can’t sleep at home. In the woods I’m out instantly and sleep like a baby. Melatonin works (sometimes) but I’m super groggy the next day.

It honestly might be performance anxiety/stress related. That’s what I think mine is related to at home w/ work. Do you have the same issues if you’re just camping?

Jocko Willinks sleep aid is great. But make sure you give yourself enough time to sleep. It's super strong so one pill of the three recommended goes a long ways.

OP
bojangles808
It honestly might be performance anxiety/stress related. That’s what I think mine is related to at home w/ work. Do you have the same issues if you’re just camping?
I think that;s a big part of it. At least recently. I started thinking about it because we went camping a month ago and i slept pretty poorly, and kind of remembered that without advil pm I just don't sleep well outside. A lot has gone on though the past month and my sleep is getting worse so it;s not just the woods.. I'm waking up more often, and 3 times in the past 2 weeks I've woken up at 2 and couldn't go back to sleep. I can knock out pretty consistently around 9p it's just I'm waking up more than I ever have before. Not nightmares or having to pee, just waking up for no reason.

I live on Maui and the fires was pretty traumatizing so I think that's been an issue. My family had to evacuate twice because one of the other fires got pretty close to our place. I also would surf in lahaina 2 -3 times a week used to live off front st and all that's toast now. So a lot of memories of a place reduced to rubble.
I'm also a special ed teacher which doesn't help stresswise. We got a bunch of displaced kids and I got some tough kids on my caseload so that doesn;t help. I have reached out to some mental help resources so I do have that going but i think I'm going to do some more research and try some of these suggestions for better sleep. I would like to try something a little more natural and less big pharma if can.

At one time, I had a sleep "supplement." No idea what was in it, the name/flavor was "sleepy time punch." Shit was crazy, you had better be ready for sleep because it was coming fast with wildly vivid dreams.

My suggestion would be to get a cot, if you are not using one. Being maximally comfortable has been big for me in the quality of my camping sleep.