Sleeping Bag VS Quilt

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is a highly debatable topic, but I was just wondering what you guys thought.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to quilts and it works for me. A good pad with high R value is essential to sleeping warm. I’m a big guy, and need long/wide sleep gear, so the weight savings going from a mummy bag to a quilt was significant. Less material, no zipper and I sleep more comfortably. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to quilts and it works for me. A good pad with high R value is essential to sleeping warm. I’m a big guy, and need long/wide sleep gear, so the weight savings going from a mummy bag to a quilt was significant. Less material, no zipper and I sleep more comfortably. No regrets.

Ok thanks man, does draft not come in where it is open?

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
White Mamba is correct. I use my sleeping bag as a quilt and sleep so much better! Maybe this year I will actually buy a quilt, I am sold on the concept. I have been eyeballing the Kifaru quilt. I won’t likely ever buy a new sleeping bag.

I used a poncho liner in the Marines, great product when conditions were right. I own several sleeping bags, but prefer a quilt most of the time lately. I just get a better nights sleep with my style.

TheUgly

FNG
I used an EE Revelation 0 degree quilt on a hunt in Northern MN last year. Temps got down to -2 one night and I never felt uncomfortably cold. Slept in my base layers and an R1 hoody on.
I think most people that dislike quilts use one that is too small for them. If you use the size recommendations on the EE site you're going to have a bad time when temps get close to what the quilt is rated for. If you run a quilt, get no less than a Extra Wide/Long. Do that, use the straps correctly, get a pad rated for the cold (Thermarest X-Therm), and you'll be set for cold nights.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm going to stick with a sleeping bag, does anyone have any suggestions for a budget bag that is lightweight and not very bulky? I will mainly be using it in Ky and we have a pretty moderate climate.

tdot

WKR
My opinion after using a number of different setups is that both Quilts and bags have their place. If its 30 or above, zero issue with a quilt and would take a quilt over a bag 100% of the time. Between 10 and 30 degrees, it becomes arguable either way, which I'd use. Still leaning towards a properly rated quilt and sleeping pad most of the time. Below about 10 degrees, currently I'd prefer a bag, mistakes are more forgiving and it is partially psychological for me that I'm just more secure. But I need to sleep in a properly rated quilt/hood/pad combo to really test this.

Way too drafty for me. Spent more time trying to fiddle with it to prevent cold air from coming in than I did actually resting. Went back to a 0* Slick Bag and haven’t been happier.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Way too drafty for me. Spent more time trying to fiddle with it to prevent cold air from coming in than I did actually resting. Went back to a 0* Slick Bag and haven’t been happier.

How small does the slick bag pack do

Like everything else, you can use opinions to help shape your choice, but unfortunately you will get extreme opposite opinions on this. You just have to buy a quilt and try it. I tried a bag, unzipped and didn't like it.

tdot

WKR
How small does the slick bag pack do

Small and slick bag don't belong in the same sentence.

My one piece of advice that I forgot to mention earlier, is that you really need to learn how to use a quilt. That may sound weird, but if you dont set it up right, it'll suck.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Small and slick bag don't belong in the same sentence.

My one piece of advice that I forgot to mention earlier, is that you really need to learn how to use a quilt. That may sound weird, but if you dont set it up right, it'll suck.
So it's real bulky?

tdot

WKR
Yes. Apex and comparable insulation are awesome, but bulky when in those thicker bags.

My personal feeling is Apex is great for above freezing and slightly below, but below that, there are better tools for the job.

I would take Apex over 650 or lower down. Probably even prefer it over 700.

dla

WKR
If you are larger than a hobbit, a side-sleeper, and not trying to sleep lower than the 20's F, then a quilt is the best choice. IMHO.

You can sleep to about freezing without much experience. To about 20*f with some know how (a system). To 0*f with some serious gear and a system. Below zero only if you've got your act together. The colder you go, the more you gotta know.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Apex and comparable insulation are awesome, but bulky when in those thicker bags.

My personal feeling is Apex is great for above freezing and slightly below, but below that, there are better tools for the job.

I would take Apex over 650 or lower down. Probably even prefer it over 700.
I'm wanting o get a lightweight, pack able, and budget 20 degree sleeping bag for my first elk hunt. It's not planned yet but for sure a thought, still getting stuff together.