Sleeping pads for side sleepers

Yeah, that could work for you too if you don't mind the tapered shape. I'm a restless side sleeper so the full rectangle is hard to beat. I got sick of waking up with my legs off the pad.
Yea Im a pretty active sleeper also so that was a concern of mine.
Weight is the only reason I carry a lower r-value pad on some trips. In case you may wonder, high r-value doesn't translate to a hot pad, as they have very little thermal mass. Definitely a wide rectangle for me, even though I am 5'8".
I wish they made the rectangular in a regular wide, but only long wide. Im using a insulated Nemo Tensor now so I guess the only way to know is to try a tapered mat

BrianN

FNG
Yea Im a pretty active sleeper also so that was a concern of mine.

I wish they made the rectangular in a regular wide, but only long wide. Im using a insulated Nemo Tensor now so I guess the only way to know is to try a tapered mat
I wish they made the wide In a regular length also. The Sea to summit ether light xt extreme insulated in rec/reg wide is similar in all the specs w/out being as long. You can't find them right now though. I was going to get one just to compare but I contacted sea to summit and they said no rectangular pads will be available until late January.

I wish they made the wide In a regular length also. The Sea to summit ether light xt extreme insulated in rec/reg wide is similar in all the specs w/out being as long. You can't find them right now though. I was going to get one just to compare but I contacted sea to summit and they said no rectangular pads will be available until late January.

Considered that one also, but many reviews talk about it being noisy

I use one with a quilt and like it. You'll probably hear a bunch of good things on here about the synmat but not much talk on the downmat for some reason and I'm not sure why. I've got the downmat UL winter LW. Compared to the synmat in the same size it's $50 more, .6oz heavier but the r-value is 7 vs 5.2 for the symat which was worth it for me for what I wanted it for.
+1

I run a downmat hl winter MW with a quilt. It's a great pad, super comfy, warm, and not noisy like an xtherm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BrianN

FNG

Exped SynMat XP 7 Insulated, Medium Wide. Year round pad for me, as we seldom drop into even the 20s. Colder I might go Exped Downtown XP9 LW. 8 oz more, but cold weather always means heavier packs. I can't find the XP9 in med-wide, but that would be ideal.​

I looked at that one too

Exped SynMat XP 7 Insulated​

but compared to the downmat ul winter lw, it was thinner at 2.8" vs 3.5", shorter at 72" vs 77.6" and has a lower r-value 4.8 vs 7 but somehow it's heavier! 34oz vs 30.5. If I get a pad that's shorter thinner and colder, it better be lighter....it is $100 cheaper though

svivian

WKR
For you restless sleepers who toss and turn like i do, try a bag like the Big Agnes Summit 15. It has a sleeve that takes a pad up to 25" wide so when you toss and turn the bag and pad stay in place. Also your feet wont fall off the side and you wont slide down off the pad if you are on a slope. Best bag I have ever used paired with the NEMO Tensor. I also love it has zippers on both sides that i can unzip and use like a quilt when its warmer. Not ultralight weight but very respectable IMO.

I looked at that one too

Exped SynMat XP 7 Insulated​

but compared to the downmat ul winter lw, it was thinner at 2.8" vs 3.5", shorter at 72" vs 77.6" and has a lower r-value 4.8 vs 7 but somehow it's heavier! 34oz vs 30.5. If I get a pad that's shorter thinner and colder, it better be lighter....it is $100 cheaper though
I think the SynMat is a little older model. If I could find the Winter in medium wide, that would be even better and lighter.

SynMat is also a 75D material mat, extremely tough. Should last 20 years or so. The DownMat Winter UL models are 20D. Incredible mats, but not the same animal at all. Don't get me wrong, I will probably get a DOWNMAT UL WINTER LW for next season. Just wish they came in MW, since I'm only 5'8". :)

Last edited:

j33

WKR
I think the SynMat is a little older model. If I could find the Winter in medium wide, that would be even better and lighter.

SynMat is also a 75D material mat, extremely tough. Should last 20 years or so. The DownMat Winter UL models are 20D. Incredible mats, but not the same animal at all. Don't get me wrong, I will probably get a DOWNMAT UL WINTER LW for next season. Just wish they came in MW, since I'm only 5'8". :)

That 20D on the downmat UL and synmat UL is what i noticed too.

I ran S2S Either Lite XT Insulated (3.2R) and definitely felt the cool ground sleeping by a creek at about 20-25F one night. Looking at other options vs adding a heavy zlite to up my r value

Last edited:

Str8wire

FNG
Nemo cosmo 3D. Insulated and 3.5” thick. Pair with a oversized BA bag and you will sleep well.

ChrisInAK

FNG
I use an Exped DownMat (3.5” thick) with a Big Agnes bag that has a sleeve on the bottom. The pad basically mates to the bag and I can roll around and the bag/pad stay put. I’m a side sleeper and it works well.